GDT Week 5: Bills (3-1) @ Bengals (1-3)

Trentwannabe

Welp. Somehow, even after giving up almost 400 total yards on offense, we were still in a position to walk out of there with a W. Wouldn't have been deserved, mind you, but we were still in that game. I guess I'll give props to McDermott for that...or maybe Beane. I don't know. I did know Taylor wouldn't have a great day - I had predicted 170 yards passing - but did not see the 6 sacks coming. That was beyond bad.

4 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

Welp. Somehow, even after giving up almost 400 total yards on offense, we were still in a position to walk out of there with a W. Wouldn't have been deserved, mind you, but we were still in that game. I guess I'll give props to McDermott for that...or maybe Beane. I don't know. I did know Taylor wouldn't have a great day - I had predicted 170 yards passing - but did not see the 6 sacks coming. That was beyond bad.

At least half of those were on him. His worst pocket awareness game of the season

35 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

At least half of those were on him. His worst pocket awareness game of the season

I actually think I'd split the blame 50/50. Our OL let them through in the first place. I get that due to time, sooner or later a rusher is going to get back there, but seriously, with the Bengals starting CB's out, Taylor should have had opportunities to get rid of the ball and hence a better game. In hindsight, I guess playcalling has to be questioned too. Taylor threw 25 passes in the 1st half alone! Once it was obvious the Bengals were getting pressure, we should have worked in more plays to McCoy either running (draws/pitches outside), PA passing, screens, shuttle passes (which I haven't seen utilized from this offense, yet) etc. Taylor and McCoy should have had some success attacking just behind that rush. It really didn't happen much.

5 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Missed this one.. How bad was Tyrod ?

Truthfully, if we hadn't snagged 3 turnovers, it would have been a blowout. Green had 189 yards receiving and Dalton attacked our LBers with the vast majority (2/3) of his passes. They had no running game, but it didn't matter as the short passing attack replaced it...straight out of Belichick's strategy of going after us. Interestingly, we were having success running, but they called more running plays than we did! Defensively, we stopped just 1 third and long. One, out of at least 5 that I recall! Our showing overall was pathetic...other than Poyer, who had a very good game (3 tackles, 1 PD, 1 INT, 1 Fum Rec).

After that defensive showing, even accounting for the 3 turnovers, we needed Taylor to lead the team down the field. He still can't do that, which shouldn't be a surprise at this point. My guess is under the circumstances, Taylor played a typical (for him) game.

2 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Truthfully, if we hadn't snagged 3 turnovers, it would have been a blowout. Green had 189 yards receiving and Dalton attacked our LBers with the vast majority (2/3) of his passes. They had no running game, but it didn't matter as the short passing attack replaced it...straight out of Belichick's strategy of going after us. Interestingly, we were having success running, but they called more running plays than we did! Defensively, we stopped just 1 third and long. One, out of at least 5 that I recall! Our showing overall was pathetic...other than Poyer, who had a very good game (3 tackles, 1 PD, 1 INT, 1 Fum Rec).

After that defensive showing, even accounting for the 3 turnovers, we needed Taylor to lead the team down the field. He still can't do that, which shouldn't be a surprise at this point. My guess is under the circumstances, Taylor played a typical (for him) game.

Yup. Tyrod is exactly who he is. He led a non game winning drive just like he's always done under use. Hugely disappointing but so unsurprising. 

10 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

It just sucks that we have a Qb that can’t win us a game when we need him to. Have we ever even come back in a game down by more than 3 under his tenure? Super annoying

No. The second Dolphins game is the closest he has ever been. He came up short during the Seahawks game last year as well. Any Bills fan who watched this knew exactly what was going to happen, we've all seen it. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

The Bills are now 2-19 in games where they fall behind by at least 4 points. Including Three starts from EJ in that span. 

Yeah I like Tyrod as a backup. But we need a QB who throws the ball to his receivers. When we are down the game is over because we can’t throw the ball to make up yards.

On 10/9/2017 at 6:16 PM, Trentwannabe said:

The Bills are now 2-19 in games where they fall behind by at least 4 points. Including Three starts from EJ in that span. 

That's a truly telling stat. You could win games consistently with that.

Archived