GDT 10/4/20 Week 4: 2-1 Baltimore Ravens vs 1-2 Washington Football Team

DreamKid

5 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Yes with a lead we are great. When we are trailing we suck. It's a great formula for regular season success against bad teams. 

You ignored the point about it being a penaltied play.

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

No, grinding out the win with runs up the middle is the optimal strategy. 

My concern is the running game hasn't really been that effective in the first half. Teams have snuffed out the read option, especially when Lamar keeps and takes it outside. 

Our ability to get reps and rush to the edges IS something that can help this football team. As we’ve seen with the OL when Dobbins is in there, they need help on blocking for the outside runs. If we can run better to the edges, than that helps this team become more dangerous come playoff time.

So again, how is rushing the ball in these situations not valuable? You’re literally grasping at straws here. Especially since my initial comment was that if we’re going to win and blow a team out anyway, it doesn’t hurt to rack up yards for some historic notoriety while doing it. If this squad ends up winning the SB this season and we also lead the league in rushing once again, that elevates the team above other teams that didn’t do such a thing. If we don’t win the SB this season, than regardless of WHAT the Ravens do with these late game carries, actually matter to the results of the season.

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

So.... I thought Zeus Jr held up pretty well in his first start on the blind side. Didn't hear much from Sweat or Kerrigan.

Agreed. Outside of the false start (which he did on the right side as well) he was lined up against good competition and still made it happen. Fluker also looked better than Brown looked at RT the past few weeks. The OL overall performed better. How much of that is benefited by Chase Young sitting out? But up to this point the WFT has had a great pass rush. Stanley is losing money as we speak... only thing I’d be interested in is how much help was allotted to the OTs by the TEs. I didn’t pay enough attention to that.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

You ignored the point about it being a penaltied play.

Our ability to get reps and rush to the edges IS something that can help this football team. As we’ve seen with the OL when Dobbins is in there, they need help on blocking for the outside runs. If we can run better to the edges, than that helps this team become more dangerous come playoff time.

So again, how is rushing the ball in these situations not valuable? You’re literally grasping at straws here. Especially since my initial comment was that if we’re going to win and blow a team out anyway, it doesn’t hurt to rack up yards for some historic notoriety while doing it. If this squad ends up winning the SB this season and we also lead the league in rushing once again, that elevates the team above other teams that didn’t do such a thing. If we don’t win the SB this season, than regardless of WHAT the Ravens do with these late game carries, actually matter to the results of the season.

You are misrepresenting my argument. Running at the end of game is good. Doing so to gain historical notoriety is bad. Being in any way motivated to rack up stats in meaningless blowouts is bad. For example, going out bounds, which Dobbins did twice (and I'll need to see the replay to see if Dobbins was aware of a flag being thrown) to get an extra yard or two is bad, because it forces the team to run more plays and risk players to injury. 

14 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

If it makes you feel better we got no additional rushing yards after Lamar left the game. Or would you prefer us to lose yards?

How does the team doing anything against the WFT other than blow them out in a win, help out our playoff cause? So again, is there a point? The only way to prove they can close out games when they’re down is for them to be down. Would you have preferred the team play like crap all game and be down to the WFT with 2 minutes left and then lead a comeback drive?

Actually, I've reconsidered. Maybe if we set historical records, other teams will think Roman is a great coach and hire him away from us. That might actually help the team in the long run. 

9 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

You are misrepresenting my argument. Running at the end of game is good. Doing so to gain historical notoriety is bad. Being in any way motivated to rack up stats in meaningless blowouts is bad. For example, going out bounds, which Dobbins did twice (and I'll need to see the replay to see if Dobbins was aware of a flag being thrown) to get an extra yard or two is bad, because it forces the team to run more plays and risk players to injury. 

You quoted me, remember? And you misinterpreted MY point. This game was NEVER going to mean anything to who this squad is as a playoff contender. We destroy bad and mediocre teams over the past few years. We destroyed a bad team today. So if we’re going to destroy the team, we might as well run up the stats as much as possible because... why not? Just like if we’re going to beat a pathetic team we might as well blow them out. Just like if we’re going to win the game, we might as well win the game without injury. 

We could experience an injury and still win a SB later in the year, we could beat a pathetic team by scrapping by and still win a SB, and we can run poorly to close out a game and still win the SB... however if we’re going to win, we might as well win as thoroughly and cleanly as possible... so again, what’s the point? Why would we NOT want to win as cleanly as we can, especially if such boosts our historic relevance, if it ever comes down to that. If it doesn’t than it hurt nothing.

Edited by diamondbull424

I’m just saying if Lamar Jackson had as clean a pocket as Allen has had in this Raiders game, he’d be torching teams for 10+ TDs as well. Looking at this game you can’t tell me that the Ravens have a top 5 OL as mentioned by PFF. We definitely have a superior run blocking squad, but the pass blocking should be weighted far higher when considering the quality of an OL.

EDIT: He’s had enough time to make marshmallows back there.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

You quoted me, remember? And you misinterpreted MY point. This game was NEVER going to mean anything to who this squad is as a playoff contender. We destroy bad and mediocre teams over the past few years. We destroyed a bad team today. So if we’re going to destroy the team, we might as well run up the stats as much as possible because... why not? Just like if we’re going to beat a pathetic team we might as well blow them out. Just like if we’re going to win the game, we might as well win the game without injury. 

We could experience an injury and still win a SB later in the year, we could beat a pathetic team by scrapping by and still win a SB; and we can run poorly to close out a game and still win the SB... however if we’re going to win, we might as well win as thoroughly and cleanly as possible.

Ok, maybe I'm just a bit disillusioned with the Ravens coaching right now. It seems like we've designed an offense that put up great stats in blowouts, and struggle when trailing. Likewise, our defense can feast upon bums like Haskins when they have a nice lead, but can be utterly humiliated when facing a sharp offensive mind who can figure out our blitz schemes.  

In know it's early in the season, but I don't see anything different in this team that got soundly beaten by the Titans last year. I'm not sure if Lamar is going to progress as a passer in this offense. His accuracy from the pocket on deep balls and out breaking routes is a problem. 

That's why I don't think being a "historic" offense is valuable. Is it valuable to think this team is better than it really is? Maybe if people didn't hype up the Ravens so much last year, Lamar wouldn't have looked past the Titans as he admitted. It doesn't really help.  

17 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Ok, maybe I'm just a bit disillusioned with the Ravens coaching right now. It seems like we've designed an offense that put up great stats in blowouts, and struggle when trailing. Likewise, our defense can feast upon bums like Haskins when they have a nice lead, but can be utterly humiliated when facing a sharp offensive mind who can figure out our blitz schemes.  

In know it's early in the season, but I don't see anything different in this team that got soundly beaten by the Titans last year. I'm not sure if Lamar is going to progress as a passer in this offense. His accuracy from the pocket on deep balls and out breaking routes is a problem. 

That's why I don't think being a "historic" offense is valuable. Is it valuable to think this team is better than it really is? Maybe if people didn't hype up the Ravens so much last year, Lamar wouldn't have looked past the Titans as he admitted. It doesn't really help.  

The coaching staff’s game plan the year prior when against the Chargers was vastly underwhelming as well, we had no historic rushing attack that season... so what’s the excuse there? Do we really think this team suddenly decides not to overlook the Titans if we had finished with 200 less rushing yards on the season?

Can Lamar improve his deep balls to help, absolutely. I mentioned that a couple times in this thread that he can and that’s something he will have to work on. He’s improved his out routes... unless someone blames a lazy route by Boykin on Lamar, which most people don’t (read: everyone else, including the play by play member James Lofton).

If you want to complain about the coaching staff calling bad games, you will find no quarrel here. But your argument continues to keep changing. The coaching staff didn’t particularly call a good game today... that much we agree on, but thats for the game film to stress. But regardless, if the stat sheet is glorified by a blowout victory, who does it hurt? If it doesn’t hurt than we might as well do it. It’s more likely that the Titans simply beat us because they were peaking, we had just taken 2 weeks off, and our coaches had a pathetic game plan... like the year prior (Minus the additional week to prepare) vs us running up scores causing us to somehow start feeling themselves and not practice hard.

Edited by diamondbull424

3-1,  now we just have to put the next to games away in similar fashion and be 5-1 going into the bye.

Then we hit the rough stretch with 7 games that should be more competitive with 2 x steelers, Patriots, Colts, Titans, Browns, Cowboys. If we can go 4/3 or 3/4 in those games, we should be able to close out the final 3 games for an 12/4 or 11/5 record.

Plenty of time to get the team to gel and improve, but we need it because it has not been pretty this first quarter of the season