GDT 10/4/20 Week 4: 2-1 Baltimore Ravens vs 1-2 Washington Football Team

DreamKid

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The coaching staff’s game plan the year prior when against the Chargers was vastly underwhelming as well, we had no historic rushing attack that season... so what’s the excuse there? Do we really think this team suddenly decides not to overlook the Titans if we had finished with 200 less rushing yards on the season?

Can Lamar improve his deep balls to help, absolutely. I mentioned that a couple times in this thread that he can and that’s something he will have to work on. He’s improved his out routes... unless someone blames a lazy route by Boykin on Lamar, which most people don’t (read: everyone else, including the play by play member James Lofton).

If you want to complain about the coaching staff calling bad games, you will find no quarrel here. But your argument continues to keep changing. The coaching staff didn’t particularly call a good game today... that much we agree on, but thats for the game film to stress. But regardless, if the stat sheet is glorified by a blowout victory, who does it hurt? If it doesn’t hurt than we might as well do it. It’s more likely that the Titans simply beat us because they were peaking, we had just taken 2 weeks off, and our coaches had a pathetic game plan... like the year prior vs us running up scores causing us to somehow start feeling themselves and not practice hard.

If Hollywood Brown got injured on that stupid jump ball thrown by RGIII, that would definitely hurt our chances. Right now I'm not seeing a team with a mentality of Super Bowl or bust. I'm seeing guys hunting stats at the end of a meaningless blowout. I'm seeing Lamar holding the ball up in the air before he evaded the final defender before the TD. 

I just think the desire to have great stats can be corrupting. Look at Sean Peyton and Brees. Yes they are all time greats. But for most of the 2010s Peyton created a team that was designed to pad passing stats in the regular season at the expense of creating a team with championship qualities. At least they got a championship in 2009.  

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

If Hollywood Brown got injured on that stupid jump ball thrown by RGIII, that would definitely hurt our chances. Right now I'm not seeing a team with a mentality of Super Bowl or bust. I'm seeing guys hunting stats at the end of a meaningless blowout. I'm seeing Lamar holding the ball up in the air before he evaded the final defender before the TD. 

I just think the desire to have great stats can be corrupting. Look at Sean Peyton and Brees. Yes they are all time greats. But for most of the 2010s Peyton created a team that was designed to pad passing stats in the regular season at the expense of creating a team with championship qualities. At least they got a championship in 2009.  

You’ve once again switched up your argument. The goal posts have changed again. First you didn’t want us running the ball in a blowout to inflate the offensive rushing performance, now you don’t want us passing it with out backup QB on 3rd down (for the event that he has to come in and execute at some point later in the season)? I’m sorry, but I no longer get how this is relevant to whether the team kept up a historic rushing pace. Only two teams in the last decade have won back to back rushing titles, only one team gets to win the SB... if we’re that team great... but if we’re not that team, why not produce something noteworthy to feel good about with this team? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Zero. Rush.. 

Been that way for the whole year unfortunately.

People get on Judon about it (rightfully so) but for some reason people keep pretending like Tyus Bowser is a good pass rusher even though he does nothing every game in that aspect lol dude gets walled off by tackles 1 on 1 constantly. He seems to escape the (deserved) criticism Judon gets around these parts for some reason.

Still think McPhee is our best pass rusher and that’s not a good spot to be moving forward 

23 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

You’ve once again switched up your argument. The goal posts have changed again. First you didn’t want us running the ball in a blowout to inflate the offensive rushing performance, now you don’t want us passing it with out backup QB on 3rd down (for the event that he has to come in and execute at some point later in the season)? I’m sorry, but I no longer get how this is relevant to whether the team kept up a historic rushing pace. Only two teams in the last decade have won back to back rushing titles, only one team gets to win the SB... if we’re that team great... but if we’re not that team, why not produce something noteworthy to feel good about with this team? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I never argued against running the ball in a blowout. That's where the confusion lies.  

14 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

People get on Judon about it (rightfully so) but for some reason people keep pretending like Tyus Bowser is a good pass rusher even though he does nothing every game in that aspect lol dude gets walled off by tackles 1 on 1 constantly. He seems to escape the (deserved) criticism Judon gets around these parts for some reason.

Even if this premise was true, which I don't believe it is(As we've talked about many times lol), Judon has a 17 million dollar cap hit vs Bowser's 2....

You've gotta understand why we might be a little harsh on Ol' Judon.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Even if this premise was true, which I don't believe it is(As we've talked about many times lol), Judon has a 17 million dollar cap hit vs Bowser's 2....

You've gotta understand why we might be a little harsh on Ol' Judon.

Oh Judon 100% deserves the criticism don’t get me wrong

Think pass rusher has to be the 1st round pick next year depending on how the draft shakes out and what happens in FA

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Been that way for the whole year unfortunately.

Still think McPhee is our best pass rusher and that’s not a good spot to be moving forward 

Disagree. Bowser was active against the Chiefs, had multiple pressures and/or QB hits. Also performed well the 2 weeks prior when on somewhat limited snaps.

On the Judon 1st sack he was right there. This was his worst game of the season. Teams were actually paying attention to him to the degree that they (besides one play) weren’t putting TEs on him or leaving him unblocked like with Judon. He’ll need to have a couple more bad games before I pump the breaks on him and what he brings to the table. He can typically win 1on1 matchups. He just had a bad game today, which happens to all defenders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

100% chance if we just ran up the middle and didn't convert first downs to close out the game @AngusMcFife would criticize the coaching staff and play calling. But as soon as one player goes out of bounds on a play with a flag we suddenly are being cute and trying to set records, as if those things don't coincide with trying to win.

Was this really necessary?

/takes off mod hat

This was just a weird game overall. Maybe the first time in Ravens history we weren't satisfied leading 31-10 before backups came in. Didn't help that it looked like the WFT didn't even think they could win just throwing 2 yard passes the entire game. Offense still too clunky for my liking, but we have the next two weeks and a bye to iron that out before the tough part of the schedule.

16 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

This was just a weird game overall. Maybe the first time in Ravens history we weren't satisfied leading 31-10 before backups came in. Didn't help that it looked like the WFT didn't even think they could win just throwing 2 yard passes the entire game. Offense still too clunky for my liking, but we have the next two weeks and a bye to iron that out before the tough part of the schedule.

Seems like everyone agrees that yesterday was two teams with vastly different talent and the outcome matched it although it wasn't that well played.

Humphrey also mentioned it in an interview, that Lamar was unhappy with the play on the field and Marlon looked at the scoreboard and saw us up by several scores.

Get to the bye week healthy with 2 W's and we hopefully see some improvement after the bye.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

13 minutes ago, Danand said:

Seems like everyone agrees that yesterday was two teams with vastly different talent and the outcome matched it although it wasn't that well played.

Humphrey also mentioned it in an interview, that Lamar was unhappy with the play on the field and Marlon looked at the scoreboard and saw us up by several scores.

Get to the bye week healthy with 2 W's and we hopefully see some improvement after the bye.

Worth noting (someone has probably already said it) that at this point last year we were 2-2 and wondering if this team's 2-0 start was a mirage. This year we're 3-1 coming off a game where we called off the dogs up three scores, and the team doesn't seem happy about it. I don't think it's unreasonable to think the team will be able to make adjustments and have a good shot as any at being there at the end of the year.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Disagree. Bowser was active against the Chiefs, had multiple pressures and/or QB hits. Also performed well the 2 weeks prior when on somewhat limited snaps.

On the Judon 1st sack he was right there. This was his worst game of the season. Teams were actually paying attention to him to the degree that they (besides one play) weren’t putting TEs on him or leaving him unblocked like with Judon. He’ll need to have a couple more bad games before I pump the breaks on him and what he brings to the table. He can typically win 1on1 matchups. He just had a bad game today, which happens to all defenders.

Strong disagree. Don't see it out of him very often at all. Quite the contrary.

But we won't turn this into the 10th Bowser debate over the past few months haha. Bottom line is the pass rush (as a unit) needs to step it up.

• Like 1