Let's Talk About Jamison Crowder

Jeezy Fanatic

Coming into this year I thought that Jamison Crowder was the Redskins biggest breakout candidate with opportunity to establish himself as the best slot receiver in the league. Flash forward, through 4 games Crowder has 14 receptions for 106 yards, a couple costly fumbles on special teams, and overall has been a non-factor. What  I'm curious about for those of you who follow film or breakdowns of the game more than I do is:

a) Is he not getting open?

b) Has the offensive design changed so that there's less opprtunities/routes for him?

c) Has Chris Thompson's receiving ability minimized his role?

d) He just sucks now? (I can take this one and run with it as required)

You cannot compare the Patriots to the Redskins. I dont care what way you spin it, the offenses are completely different. The need for smurfs for them are different than the need for smurfs for us. 

If you look at their offense, there is no #1. When Edelman has been out its been Chris Hogan. Or Amendola. Or Malcom Mitchell for a while. Its whoever they put on the field that is in that position against the read for Brady. 

On 10/5/2017 at 4:31 PM, MKnight82 said:

Gronk is the Pats #1.  Also the best offense the pats had was when they had Randy moss on the outside.

Edelman is the Pats #1 when healthy and he’s a Slot wr. I believe Amendola has taken over that role for them this year but obviously not with the same results.

It’s a combination of what everyone has mentioned but no one has mentioned the obvious, Kirk has missed Crowder several times when he was open or chosen not to throw to him in favor of a different wr downfield.

It’s not Crowder’s fault that Kirk overthrew him inside the 10 yardline vs the Eagles in what could have been a game winning TD. It’s not Crowder’s fault that Kirk missed him on a possible TD against he Rams, as well as Doctson on 2, Thompson on 1 and Pryor on 1. We ran the ball a lot vs the Rams which meant less opportunities for Crowder.

It’s not Crowder’s fault or Reed’s fault that Kirk has has turned them down when open to go to other options downfield or to Thompson. In the Raiders & Chiefs games Kirk went downfield for big plays which meant less opportunities for guys like Crowder.  On the last pass to Doctson vs the Chiefs, Kirk had Crowder open for at least a 5 yard Reception, a first down and maybe a TD. It’s not Crowder’s fault that once again Kirk turned down the option to Crowder for the first down and maybe more to go to Doctson for what should have been the game winning TD.

So, Crowder’s drop in production is more outside of his control than it is anything he’s done or not done. Obviously the punt return fumbles are all on him and it was a main reason we lost to the Eagles and  cost us a possible shut out vs the Raiders but I put his fall in production more on his hamstring injury and Kirk rather than him or the loss of Djax

The loss of Djax has certainly hurt our downfield passing game and the short passing game indirectly because he always drew double coverage on deeee routes but beyond that, Crowder is still getting open, Kirk has just overthrown him for what should have been a TD and not thrown to him a handful of other times when he was open, two of which could have been TDs as well.

I have to be honest, it bothers me that Kirk hasn’t targeted or missed his most reliable wr more than he has, it’s been a major factor in at least one of our losses and a contributing factor in our loss vs the Chiefs. 

If Kirk targets Crowder when he probably should have in each of our games and doesn’t overthrow him vs the Eagles in the redzone Crowder probably has 25 recs, 300 yards and 2 or 3 TDs right now. So, the fact that Crowder hasn’t been targeted more in the passing game is more on Kirk & Jay/play calling than it is on Crowder. 

Archived