Hypothetical

BigD1123

We as fans have varying opinions. Be it Quarterback or coaching. So here is the deal. Put in any change you would make to the team if you were in charge. BUT if you do you have to have either a replacement or a candidate list as well. 

Example: I personally believe it may be time for a change at Defensive Coordinator. Now I understand it would be hard to go full scheme change. But if I were in charge there would be a change. I don't hate Guenther. But I don't see this unit being productive. I understand the need for time to gel. But to me its more about the play calling. I would roll with Marinelli for the rest of the season. Then if there was not a noticeable difference in play calling I am on the phone to Wade Phillips for at the very least an interview.

Edited by BigD1123

I'd fire Paul Guenther immediately and allow Rod Marinelli to take over as DC for the rest of the season. In the offseason I'd hire Kris Richard to be our new defensive coordinator. 

Richard was the Seahawks DB coach from 2010-2014 and helped develop the legion of boom. While he was the DB coach Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman, who were both 5th round picks, became Pro Bowlers in their second season. I think he'd have an excellent influence on the development of our young defensive backs, he has championship pedigree, and he has been successful as a defensive play caller for two different teams. 

When the Cowboys hired him in 2018 it was his decision to move Byron Jones from FS back to CB. And during the two years he was there Jones played like a top 10 CB and just signed the biggest FA contract for a CB in NFL history. 

He was the Seahawks DC from 2015-2017. 

2015 - 2nd in yards allowed, 1st in scoring defense

2016 - 5th in yards allowed, 3rd in scoring defense

2017 - 11th in yards allowed, 13th in scoring defense 

He was the Cowboys DB coach, passing game coordinator, and defensive player caller from 2018-2019

2018 - 7th in yards allowed, 6th in scoring defense 

2019 - 9th in yards allowed, 11th in scoring defense 

Edited by NYRaider

Dont really see Rex or Wade as a fit for the Raiders. The Raiders just don't have the pass rushers at LB. You would pretty much take away the Raiders two best dlineman away(Maxx and Hurst)

My change would be QB. Im thinking of this as a offseason move not an in season move. Carr is not a bad QB. You will always be able to point to his stats and rave about his completion percentage and what not. I just don't see a QB that you can challenge Mahomes with and in reality thats what its all about. I don't think Carr gives his weapons around him chances to make plays at a level you would expect. Thing with this is with enough talent around Carr like they have right now your never gonna finish bad enough to where your picking high to take a QB so you're just going around in circles being mediocre at best. So basically we will forever be in this circle of mediocrity for the next 5 years. 

Edited by agarcia34

22 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Dont really see Rex or Wade as a fit for the Raiders. The Raiders just don't have the pass rushers at LB. You would pretty much take away the Raiders two best dlineman away(Maxx and Hurst)

My change would be QB. Im thinking of this as a offseason move not an in season move. Carr is not a bad QB. You will always be able to point to his stats and rave about his completion percentage and what not. I just don't see a QB that you can challenge Mahomes with and in reality thats what its all about. I don't think Carr gives his weapons around him chances to make plays at a level you would expect. Thing with this is with enough talent around Carr like they have right now your never gonna finish bad enough to where your picking high to take a QB so you're just going around in circles being mediocre at best. So basically we will forever be in this circle of mediocrity for the next 5 years. 

Whats your solution?  Get rid of Carr and sign a QB in FA?  Who would you suggest?

Also you mention "mediocrity for 5 years with Carr" but let's say we move on from Carr and draft a QB like you have suggested and he turns out to be Sam Darnold.  We have just wasted a 1st rounder on a QB and the team is hamstrung with a terrible QB for at least 3 years and then back to the drawing board.  

Also if we get rid of Carr and he lands in say Chicago, takes them deep into the playoffs and we draft a Darnold type bust you can say bye bye to Mayock and I like Mayock.  A catastrophic blunder like that will cause him to be fired.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Whats your solution?  Get rid of Carr and sign a QB in FA?  Who would you suggest?

Also you mention "mediocrity for 5 years with Carr" but let's say we move on from Carr and draft a QB like you have suggested and he turns out to be Sam Darnold.  We have just wasted a 1st rounder on a QB and the team is hamstrung with a terrible QB for at least 3 years and then back to the drawing board.  

Also if we get rid of Carr and he lands in say Chicago, takes them deep into the playoffs and we draft a Darnold type bust you can say bye bye to Mayock and I like Mayock.  A catastrophic blunder like that will cause him to be fired.  

So if you have a job that pays you 20.00 an hour and it gives you a decent life pays your bills but you know your stuck at that 20.00 an hour and thats how your life will be. Do you not try to better yourself and take risk? Can't sit there and be afraid of failure. 

What if Carr is exactly as he is now with another team? Cant worry about how he will make you look if you move on. 

if you like Mayock you should have the faith in him to find the right QB in they went the draft route. 

I look at the free agent list and understand you're probably not gonna ask any of those guys to start for you aside form Cam and if his play continues you have to think the Pats will bring him back. 

Knowing that we're not gonna be bad enough to go after a Lawrence or Fields or even T.Lance. I would turn to the second tier QBs like K.J. Costello who is gonna sky rocket up draft boards or a Brock Purdy who is the more mobile guy who has shown can move in the pocket. Need to draft a develop so after the 2021 season you can go that route and move on. 

You can either be stuck at where your at and be afraid of change or you can risk it and take a chance. In my personal life I have made my career off benefiting from the rewards of those risk. So im down to take that gamble. Others may not and I feel like Gruden is not one of those guys that will make that gamble. 

The east one is fire PG yesterday and promote Rod. He's had ample time and we've sunk tons of resources into our D and it's still as bad as ever. We need a change. Rod won't be the guy long-term cause he's old but he can weather the storm for the rest of this season at the least.

Another sneaky move would be to promote TE coach Frank Smith in some capacity. I love our TE room and think he's done a great job. Give him the quality control title or something so we don't lose him this OS.

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What you see out of the best QBs in the league right now is an ability to create with their legs whether that is buying time for receivers or taking off for a 1st.  They can also improvise.  Gannon did all this within Gruden's offence so you can not say it is Gruden.  When Carr feels pressure he ducks his head and looks for a way out before looking down field.  He needs to work on movement skills within the pocket while keeping his head up.  He also needs to learn when to run and trust his WRs on scramble drills.  If it is not there in 3 seconds it is check down time.  The best QBs buy 4,5,6 seconds for the WRs to get open sometimes.  This does not mean Carr sucks or does not do other stuff well but in order for this offense to take the next step he needs to get better.  Let the coaches focus on the defense.  He needs to focus on himself and improve.  Maybe he needs to take up basketball to work on his peripheral vision.  He has tunnel vision and does not see the field very well.  Could be a lot of things but that does not change the fact that he has issues that need to be worked out if we want to beat the top teams.

56 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

What you see out of the best QBs in the league right now is an ability to create with their legs whether that is buying time for receivers or taking off for a 1st.  They can also improvise.  Gannon did all this within Gruden's offence so you can not say it is Gruden.  When Carr feels pressure he ducks his head and looks for a way out before looking down field.  He needs to work on movement skills within the pocket while keeping his head up.  He also needs to learn when to run and trust his WRs on scramble drills.  If it is not there in 3 seconds it is check down time.  The best QBs buy 4,5,6 seconds for the WRs to get open sometimes.  This does not mean Carr sucks or does not do other stuff well but in order for this offense to take the next step he needs to get better.  Let the coaches focus on the defense.  He needs to focus on himself and improve.  Maybe he needs to take up basketball to work on his peripheral vision.  He has tunnel vision and does not see the field very well.  Could be a lot of things but that does not change the fact that he has issues that need to be worked out if we want to beat the top teams.

I would love to see Carr extend plays with his legs as much as the next guy but I think a lot of fans think QB's like Russ and Mahomes grow on trees and are easy to obtain.  That is clearly not the case.  If we were to cut bait with Carr and draft a Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield our franchise would be set back for many years.  You do realize that correct?

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

So if you have a job that pays you 20.00 an hour and it gives you a decent life pays your bills but you know your stuck at that 20.00 an hour and thats how your life will be. Do you not try to better yourself and take risk? Can't sit there and be afraid of failure. 

What if Carr is exactly as he is now with another team? Cant worry about how he will make you look if you move on. 

if you like Mayock you should have the faith in him to find the right QB in they went the draft route. 

I understand the idea and in principal sounds good but the analogy you're making when applied to Mike Mayock it's probably as backwards as it can get.

Mayock is in his dream job with a very capable QB and in his view probably a team that is building. You say dont be afraid to take a risk but canning Carr for a complete unknown after he likely has a very decent season this year is a monumental risk and one which if it doesn't work out would cost Mike Mayock credibility, his dream job, a huge salary and be absolutely ridiculed. Its not the same at all as trying to improve on a $20 per hour menial job. He has taken risks in the draft so it's the level of risk to go away from Carr that is the problem and the limited likelihood of landing a player that is not just as good but significantly better.

With regards to Mayock I don't think he's earned the trust just yet for me to believe on blind faith he'll pull a 2nd round All Pro QB out his backside, the evidence suggests he's good but still very fallible and the chances of immediately finding a QB better than Carr aren't great. We could find one or we could be in 2003 to 2014 Raiders pergatory and I'm sure no one wants to go through all that again 😬😁

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I would love to see Carr extend plays as much as the next guy but I think a lot of fans think QB's like Russ and Mahomes grow on trees and are easy to obtain.  That is clearly not the case.  If we were to cut bait with Carr and draft a Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield our franchise would be set back for many years.  You do realize that correct?

Yeah I mean it's tough because the draft is such a crap shoot. There were 19 QB's selected in the first round between 2014-2019 and realistically I'd only take 6 of them over Carr for sure and those guys would be Wentz, Mahomes, Watson, Allen, Jackson, and Murray. 5/6 of those guys were top 15 picks with the only exceptions being Jackson who was the 32nd pick but ended up in the perfect situation.

Going back to all the 2010 draft there are only 6 QB's that weren't 1st round picks who are currently starters: Wilson, Prescott, Carr, Cousins, Mindshew, and Lock. 

So realistically if you're going to find an upgrade over Carr it's going to have to be a top 10-15 pick. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 2