Week 4 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Mullens said post game that he saw the lb on the pick six but that it "came out wrong" 

We knew this was who this guy was. He was undrafted for a reason. He doesn't have an NFL arm. 

He's fine if he can be accurate when he throws 10-15 yards or less, but if he can't hit those at like 80% or more, he doesn't offer enough elsewhere to justify it 

I think we will roll with beathard next week. Lol

Beathard has the best deep arm on our team, so I would like to throw aiyuk the ball down the field. Roll beathard out, do a deep drop, and let aiyuk fly 

We didn't get the ball into aiyuks hands enough in the second half. We didn't throw the ball to him farther than 15 yards down field either. I want to showcase that deep speed on film to make corners play off of him more 

Our OL and DEs are a problem. We all knew we had issues there and didn't really do much to prevent this 

Last year we had top 5 OL and top 5 DL. No longer 

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Mullens said post game that he saw the lb on the pick six but that it "came out wrong" 

We knew this was who this guy was. He was undrafted for a reason. He doesn't have an NFL arm. 

He's fine if he can be accurate when he throws 10-15 yards or less, but if he can't hit those at like 80% or more, he doesn't offer enough elsewhere to justify it 

I think we will roll with beathard next week. Lol

Beathard has the best deep arm on our team, so I would like to throw aiyuk the ball down the field. Roll beathard out, do a deep drop, and let aiyuk fly 

We didn't get the ball into aiyuks hands enough in the second half. We didn't throw the ball to him farther than 15 yards down field either. I want to showcase that deep speed on film to make corners play off of him more 

Our OL and DEs are a problem. We all knew we had issues there and didn't really do much to prevent this 

We never had a top 5 OL last season. 

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

We only had a top 5 o-line in run blocking...our pass blocking was one of the worst in football, tbh. I think our pass block winrate was like 26th or something stupid like that. 

Think of how bad Minnesota's offensive line was last year and then realize we were worse LOL. Jimmy's release masked a lot of problems (as doesn't Shanny's game plan). The line was so bad that Kittle was often pass protecting in critical moments rather than running a routes. I believe this occurred on both of the long conversions against the rams late last year, and I could be wrong, but I want to say that he was staying in to pass block on the now legendary Manny Sanders superbowl misfire. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We never had a top 5 OL last season. 

I think you underestimate how bad OL play was across the league last year 

I am talking about when we had everyone healthy for 2/3rds of the season 

@Forge yes, it obviously was not great in pass pro for stretches, especially with the backups in. 

I'm saying when we had the whole group together 

Kittle was kept in to block because teams have to keep a LB on him, he blocks a DE and then takes two guys out of the play 

So I don't have an issue with him pass blocking sometimes 

13 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think you underestimate how bad OL play was across the league last year 

I am talking about when we had everyone healthy for 2/3rds of the season 

I think you are overestimating how good that OL was in pass protection. There were games Jimmy was getting lit up all game long. 

Did McGlinchey  get sick or was he trying to cut weight? I would not have associated that dude as being weak at all..but he’s getting sinned right now. I think McGlinchey has been a really solid pick so far, but this is becoming concerning. 

8 minutes ago, John232 said:

Did McGlinchey  get sick or was he trying to cut weight? I would not have associated that dude as being weak at all..but he’s getting sinned right now. I think McGlinchey has been a really solid pick so far, but this is becoming concerning. 

My theory is that Joe Staley retired due to injury and then lost a ton of weight and so therefore that's what mcg did as well. Lol 

I guess he does not have any weights at home and decided he didn't need to lift this off-season.

Idk what to do with him. Can't even hide him at guard, but brunskill needs to be at RT 

Folks needed to slow down wanting Mullens over Jimmy G last week and folks need to slow down preferring Beathard to Mullens as the back up QB going forward. Beathard played well but the Eagles were playing soft with a double digit lead. Mullens is the better QB of the two. He's not perfect by any means, but Beathard is another level bad. 

If we were to say Warner/Armstead have been our two best defenders, I think Tartt has been our third best defender. He's been really good through four weeks and is just a super sound player. 

Have to watch the coaches film, but Verrett wasn't targeted much once again. Really hope he stays healthy as that would give us four legitimate outside corners. 

Sherman a lock to return this week? I haven't read much about his progress and if he's even been running on the side field. Moseley being held out with a concussion is a scary sign. Hope he gets better and this doesn't linger the rest of the season. Spoon on the other hand was a full participant on Wednesday and then was limited the rest of the week. Hammy injuries are tricky so I hope he didn't rush back making it even worse. 

Why are we so mediocre at home??????

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

No HFA this year, so it really is just quality of team against quality of team. 

But I even felt last season while our home record was good, we were a little better on the road. Had some tough performances at home, whether it be against the Steelers or Seahawks or Cardinals or Falcons.

I will say that the last three home games following an extended road trip we have been pretty damn flat. After playing TB/Cincy in weeks 1 and 2, we had a SLOPPY performance against the Steelers and were fortunate to win that game. And then later in the year after staying in Florida after the Baltimore game and before the NO game, we had our WORST performance against the Falcons in week 15....And after our NY road trip on weeks 2 and 3, had another sloppy performance last night. I'm not sure how you change that, but Shanny needs to adjust the way he does things to correct this issue. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But I even felt last season while our home record was good, we were a little better on the road. Had some tough performances at home, whether it be against the Steelers or Seahawks or Cardinals or Falcons.

I will say that the last three home games following an extended road trip we have been pretty damn flat. After playing TB/Cincy in weeks 1 and 2, we had a SLOPPY performance against the Steelers and were fortunate to win that game. And then later in the year after staying in Florida after the Baltimore game and before the NO game, we had our WORST performance against the Falcons in week 15....And after our NY road trip on weeks 2 and 3, had another sloppy performance last night. I'm not sure how you change that, but Shanny needs to adjust the way he does things to correct this issue. 

Wouldn't look too much into it. If it was over the course of 3 seasons or something, then that might be interesting. But the sample size is so small (which 16 games is), it's essentially trivial. And there is also so much roster turnover every year. It's not like Levi's Stadium is a good HFA anyway. 

8 hours ago, N4L said:

@Forge yes, it obviously was not great in pass pro for stretches, especially with the backups in. 

I'm saying when we had the whole group together 

Kittle was kept in to block because teams have to keep a LB on him, he blocks a DE and then takes two guys out of the play 

So I don't have an issue with him pass blocking sometimes 

See, I don't see it this way at all. You wouldn't have your best receiver pass block if you didn't need him to. When we are in OBVIOUS passing situations, the pass protection does not hold up. Shanny is able to manipulate it enough during the game with his scheme and play calling, but that goes out the window when you HAVE to pass. Then of course Jimmy's quick release does the trick the other times as he won't let the pass rush get to him as he will get rid of it before they can. With Jimmy back there, I'm sure the pass blocking will look solid enough the rest of the way, but that doesn't mean it IS solid, just that Jimmy is making it look that way. This is an area that needs to be improved upon this offseason. 

• Like 2

Does anyone else feel like we've built a great team, but on a house of cards? I think the thing that gives me hope long term, is we seem to consistently pick up talent and depth and more importantly, we know how to utilize guys to mask faults and accentuate strengths. Cap isn't real and Paraag has consistently done a good job,, but it seems like we're heading towards a weird couple years. 

If there's one big positive that I keep coming back to is that our receiving core with Kittle, Aiyuk and Deebo has a really, really nice outlook. Shame that Hurd and Pettis are non-factors but I've really liked what i've seen. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John232 said:

Does anyone else feel like we've built a great team, but on a house of cards? I think the thing that gives me hope long term, is we seem to consistently pick up talent and depth and more importantly, we know how to utilize guys to mask faults and accentuate strengths. Cap isn't real and Paraag has consistently done a good job,, but it seems like we're heading towards a weird couple years. 

If there's one big positive that I keep coming back to is that our receiving core with Kittle, Aiyuk and Deebo has a really, really nice outlook. Shame that Hurd and Pettis are non-factors but I've really liked what i've seen. 

We have a great roster period. Some flaws of course, but the team is loaded and has crazy depth. It's just difficult to consistently perform well with the amount of injuries we have, and at the positions those injuries have occurred at. 

When Jimmy/Mostert return, this offense needs to be one of the top 3-5 in the league bar none. No excuses either, super loaded with a great offensive mind calling the plays. Our offense will carry us to a lot of wins this season...and they will have to. Our defense is going to stay rock solid, but not having legit edge rushers will always be an issue.