Week 4 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We have a great roster period. Some flaws of course, but the team is loaded and has crazy depth. It's just difficult to consistently perform well with the amount of injuries we have, and at the positions those injuries have occurred at. 

When Jimmy/Mostert return, this offense needs to be one of the top 3-5 in the league bar none. No excuses either, super loaded with a great offensive mind calling the plays. Our offense will carry us to a lot of wins this season...and they will have to. Our defense is going to stay rock solid, but not having legit edge rushers will always be an issue. 

The roster is great but they are hamstrung b/c the lack of an elite level QB. Just like how the roster was great in the Jim Harbaugh era it was also hamstrung by the lack of an elite QB and thus 3 years in a row were wasted b/c of QB who can't win them a SB. The same thing happened once again in 2019 as Jimmy not good enough to win the big game.

So how long do we have to wait for a franchise QB to rescue them and finally give us a trophy? I'm sick of just waiting and or being teased. This franchise is basically stuck in no mans land in the standings until further notice. I've been following this team since 1988 and thus have zero patience for this and thus only want 1 more SB win in my life time and then I'm good e.g. Eagles & Chiefs fans living off 2017 & 2019!

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Yep, and that's problem. Nothing you can really do about it until you just decide to reset the entire thing. 

Ok so at what point do you decide to reset the entire thing all over again? I would of loved an entire reset for 2020 b/c this season is not resulting in a SB win and I said that before they lost to the Chiefs in last years SB. 

Unless they draft a QB who can win them a SB it doesn't appear this franchise can find one. Also it doesn't appear this franchise will have it's version of an Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Nick Foles, Big Ben (2005), Joe Flacco. If that were the case they would've been able to win one with Jimmy in 2019.

For some reason when this franchise gets close they never get it done and it thus results in a tease e.g. 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2019. Atleast franchises like the Eagles, Chiefs, Seahawks, Broncos & Ravens have atleast 1 SB win recently to cling to but we have 0 since 1994 & counting. 

8 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

The roster is great but they are hamstrung b/c the lack of an elite level QB. Just like how the roster was great in the Jim Harbaugh era it was also hamstrung by the lack of an elite QB and thus 3 years in a row were wasted b/c of QB who can't win them a SB. The same thing happened once again in 2019 as Jimmy not good enough to win the big game.

So how long do we have to wait for a franchise QB to rescue them and finally give us a trophy? I'm sick of just waiting and or being teased. This franchise is basically stuck in no mans land in the standings until further notice. I've been following this team since 1988 and thus have zero patience for this and thus only want 1 more SB win in my life time and then I'm good e.g. Eagles & Chiefs fans living off 2017 & 2019!

You know how hard it is to find a Elite QB? Kyle doesn't need a Elite QB he just needs a good one. Jimmy isn't perfect but he can win us games. If there's a better option out there I'm all for improving the QB spot. But at the moment there isn't.

44 minutes ago, John232 said:

Does anyone else feel like we've built a great team, but on a house of cards? I think the thing that gives me hope long term, is we seem to consistently pick up talent and depth and more importantly, we know how to utilize guys to mask faults and accentuate strengths. Cap isn't real and Paraag has consistently done a good job,, but it seems like we're heading towards a weird couple years. 

If there's one big positive that I keep coming back to is that our receiving core with Kittle, Aiyuk and Deebo has a really, really nice outlook. Shame that Hurd and Pettis are non-factors but I've really liked what i've seen. 

Roster is I think third oldest in the league. So that's concerning. But I don't feel it's as concerning a situation when the 49ers had a dominant team during the Harbaugh years with an older roster. Just due to the top brass going on at odds. That is when it all came crashing down. 

Also, I don't think last year's team was some all time great squad either. It was a good enough team to get to the Super Bowl, but not a team that was seemingly insurmountable like the Ravens or Chiefs. 

17 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

And having elite QBs don't guarantee a SB. Wilson, Rodgers and Brees have had playoff teams damn near their entire careers and have only one SB a piece. Jimmy needed to play better in the 4th quarter no doubt about it. But he can still lead an elite or close to an elite offense with a damn good defense. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And having elite QBs don't guarantee a SB. Wilson, Rodgers and Brees have had playoff teams damn near their entire careers and have only one SB a piece. Jimmy needed to play better in the 4th quarter no doubt about it. But he can still lead an elite or close to an elite offense with a damn good defense. 

This actually sounds a little funny. I think you meant that it doesn't guarantee a super bowl every year, but saying it out loud it reads more like, "having elite QBs don't guarantee a super bowl, even though all of these guys actually have one!" 

Also, kind of weird to be whining about not being able to find a HOF type QB, as if most teams aren't always actively trying. It really is a crap shoot, even if you have the seemingly smartest people in the building. Seattle had to wait 30 plus years until they had a quality starter (Hasselbeck) and a few years after then until they had a QB that looks like a HOF player. The Bears haven't had one since Sid Luckman retired 70 years ago. Bills maybe just got one again for the first time since Jim Kelly retired in 1996.

Even then, guys like Moon, Fouts, Marino, Kelly, all HOF QBs...have zero combined rings. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Ok so at what point do you decide to reset the entire thing all over again? I would of loved an entire reset for 2020 b/c this season is not resulting in a SB win and I said that before they lost to the Chiefs in last years SB. 

Unless they draft a QB who can win them a SB it doesn't appear this franchise can find one. Also it doesn't appear this franchise will have it's version of an Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Nick Foles, Big Ben (2005), Joe Flacco. If that were the case they would've been able to win one with Jimmy in 2019.

For some reason when this franchise gets close they never get it done and it thus results in a tease e.g. 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2019. Atleast franchises like the Eagles, Chiefs, Seahawks, Broncos & Ravens have atleast 1 SB win recently to cling to but we have 0 since 1994 & counting. 

3 years I think is a relatively reasonable expectation? 

The entire team will get a pass this year. Next year there will be a lot of turnover, and I think its possible that the window is already closed. The team could be meh, and then they will be facing a "make or break year" in 2022 with Jimmy before ultimately going in another direction 2023 if the season doesn't go well. 

and I believe that this is worst case scenario for the team. Otherwise, there's no telling how it could go. 

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Also, kind of weird to be whining about not being able to find a HOF type QB, as if most teams aren't always actively trying. It really is a crap shoot, even if you have the seemingly smartest people in the building. Seattle had to wait 30 plus years until they had a quality starter (Hasselbeck) and a few years after then until they had a QB that looks like a HOF player. The Bears haven't had one since Sid Luckman retired 70 years ago. 

Damn, you beat me to it with the last sentence, but I was going to bring up the Bears 

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Roster is I think third oldest in the league. So that's concerning. But I don't feel it's as concerning a situation when the 49ers had a dominant team during the Harbaugh years with an older roster. Just due to the top brass going on at odds. That is when it all came crashing down. 

Also, I don't think last year's team was some all time great squad either. It was a good enough team to get to the Super Bowl, but not a team that was seemingly insurmountable like the Ravens or Chiefs. 

I agree with that on some level. The Defense was definitely elite and was pretty easily the best in the league last year (maybe Pitt when they got red hot is the 1b) but the offense was just rock solid but not nearly as explosive as it should have/could have been, especially in the passing game. 

Again, I'm not distressed about the franchise and as @J-ALL-DAYalready said, we're a very deep, talented and injured team. But we're a bit Adam Dunn-ish in that we seem to have these grand slam picks or we whiff hard in other decisions. Like, we've made some god awful financial decisions but we've low key been able to money ball with guys of little talent consistently through the regime. 

I do think that if we're picking top 10, which is in the cards imo and someone like Justin Fields/Trey Lance is there...it needs to be considered regardless of your feelings on Jimmy G. I would prefer us to go the Surtain/Edge route..but QB always has to be looked at.  

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Same with the Jets. It's been Joe Namath and what...1998 career year Vinny Testaverde? 

Cardinals had a couple years of Carson Palmer and Kurt Warner...now they have Kyler..but it's been a looong time for them too. 

Dolphins since Marino and Jags still lookin for it. 

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

This actually sounds a little funny. I think you meant that it doesn't guarantee a super bowl every year, but saying it out loud it reads more like, "having elite QBs don't guarantee a super bowl, even though all of these guys actually have one!" 

Haha yes, poor wording. Point is, three of the absolute elite QBs that only have one SB win. And when Wilson won his SB, he wasn't elite. The most balanced and stacked teams are still winning it all....Aside from the Patriots, though they have the GOAT at HC and GOAT at QB. But even them, look how they won their first few SBs and in 2018. This isn't to say you shouldn't want an elite QB because that is nonsense. Every team would love to have an elite QB. But they don't grow on trees and even having one isn't guaranteeing you a damn thing aside from a likely playoff birth. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Does anyone else feel like we've built a great team, but on a house of cards? I think the thing that gives me hope long term, is we seem to consistently pick up talent and depth and more importantly, we know how to utilize guys to mask faults and accentuate strengths. Cap isn't real and Paraag has consistently done a good job,, but it seems like we're heading towards a weird couple years. 

If there's one big positive that I keep coming back to is that our receiving core with Kittle, Aiyuk and Deebo has a really, really nice outlook. Shame that Hurd and Pettis are non-factors but I've really liked what i've seen. 

I think this is a little bit of an overreaction. Half our starting lineup has been out. Backups are backups for a reason, you can only rely on them for so long. A good teams depth will blow out the bottom feeders, compete with the average teams, and lose to the top teams. 

Last night we competed with an average team with a significant matchup disadvantage (our OL vs their DL), and made killer mistakes. Mullens 3 turnovers were the difference in the game. They directly or indirectly led to 14 points for them and 7 away from us, a 21 point swing. 

It will be a significant help to get Jimmy G, Mostert, Richburg, Greenlaw, Sherman, and Moseley back. We involved Kittle a lot, its time to get Samuel/Aiyuk/Bourne involved as well. We did in the 1st half and went away from it in the 2nd half. 

We also need to rework the OL. Any decent DL is going to eat our OL alive. 

As for who starts this week; who knows. I'm under the assumption that Jimmy G is back against LA. Whoever starts against Miami is going to have a short leash either way