Week #4 - General Football Talk

Just now, Kmart128 said:
15 minutes ago, Tex said:

Why are defenses so bad this season? Is it the lack of crowd, lack of preseason, or both? QBs are taking advantage of it quite clearly.

Im guessing lack of contact... defeneses had no preseason. I think itll take a few games for defeneses to get going

Lack of contact and lack of preseason both contribute.  Lack of contact has shown, last I was aware, to have a direct correlation with increase in injuries (which have been chipping away at a lot of defenses).  We've already seen a lack of preseason cause a slow start from defenses in the past: From the CBA negotiating year where there was a threatened holdout.  I've also speculated that the league's not stupid - they know where there bread is buttered as far as ratings go, and that's coming from high-scoring games that yield lots of highlights; so while I don't feel like it was a leaguewide memo that was sent out, I think there very well could have been a wink-wink/nod-nod type acknowledgment between the league and the referees union to be much more lenient offensive holding calls, especially early in the season, in part to encourage higher-scoring affairs and in part because we're coming off a season where how many starting QB's missed substantial lengths of the season (if not the season itself)?  I mean, just in general, the past 10 or so years, defense has been the chosen whipping boy of the league and a favorite to handicap to begin with.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Lack of contact and lack of preseason both contribute.  Lack of contact has shown, last I was aware, to have a direct correlation with increase in injuries (which have been chipping away at a lot of defenses).  We've already seen a lack of preseason cause a slow start from defenses in the past: From the CBA negotiating year where there was a threatened holdout.  I've also speculated that the league's not stupid - they know where there bread is buttered as far as ratings go, and that's coming from high-scoring games that yield lots of highlights; so while I don't feel like it was a leaguewide memo that was sent out, I think there very well could have been a wink-wink/nod-nod type acknowledgment between the league and the referees union to be much more lenient offensive holding calls, especially early in the season, in part to encourage higher-scoring affairs and in part because we're coming off a season where how many starting QB's missed substantial lengths of the season (if not the season itself)?  I mean, just in general, the past 10 or so years, defense has been the chosen whipping boy of the league and a favorite to handicap to begin with.

I also think the lack of crowd noise, real crowd noise, is a factor. A lot of defenses really get their juices flowing through crowd noise plus hard counts and communication is much easier for offenses without it. Everything about this season so far favors offensive play.

• Like 1