NLDS: Cubs vs. Nationals

hrubes20

Matchups are likely to be (assuming no short rest):

Game 1: Hendricks  vs. Strasburg

Game 2: Lester vs. Gonzalez

Game 3: Arrieta vs. Scherzer (both have hurt hammies)

Game 4: Quintana vs. Roark 

Game 5: Hendricks vs. Strasburg

These are the best two NL teams since the AS break.  Nats have a sizeable advantage in games 1 and 5, so the Cubs really need to win it in 4 if they are going to advance.  I like the matchups for the Cubs in games 2 and 4, so game 3 is the true wild card for me.  How badly will the respective hammy injuries to Arrieta and Scherzer affect them?  Arrieta had been really good before the injury, but even then, Scherzer is clearly the better pitcher if he's healthy enough.  

Offensively, the big key for both teams will be how well Anthony Rizzo and Bryce Harper are able to bounce back.  Rizzo ended the year in a really bad slump (.191/.345/.255, 62 wRC+) over his last 60 or so PAs.  Harper looked really rusty coming back after his long stint on the DL,  going 3 for 20 (0 XBHs) with 7 Ks.  The Cubs' offense has been a good bit better than the Nationals' in the 2nd half (team wRC+ of 110 vs 90), but that was without Harper.  If he can get back up to game form, watch out.

After last year, I can never count this Cubs team out in a playoff series so I'll go Cubs in 4.  But honesty, the Nats in 5 seems probably more likely.  

12 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Pitching Quintana as the number 4 is a mistake, but it won't cost the Cubs as they will sweep a Nationals team that floundered the last month of the season.

I agree about Quintana.  Lester should be the #4, but he has the sparkling playoff resume that Joe loves.   

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I agree about Quintana.  Lester should be the #4, but he has the sparkling playoff resume that Joe loves.   

Eh, if Arrietta is really hurt, and you have to start him for some reason, he should be number four.

Looks like the rotation is going to be Hedricks, Quintana, Lester, Arrietta.

I'm putting $100 on the Cubs.

24 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Eh, if Arrietta is really hurt, and you have to start him for some reason, he should be number four.

Looks like the rotation is going to be Hedricks, Quintana, Lester, Arrietta.

I'm putting $100 on the Cubs.

He is.  Rotation was announced as Hendricks/Lester/Quintana/Arrieta

Also, Scherzer played catch on flat ground today and abruptly stopped the session without throwing a bullpen.  This is definitely something to monitor, as no Scherzer would be a huge game changer.

Archived