Week For Game Day Thread: Atlanta Falcons at Green bay Packers

MacReady

I don't know Atlanta well enough to have any guess what their defensive approach will be.  Vikes and Saints, both crowd-the-box and stop-the-run approach.  Saints gave the TE's.  Lions gave the running game.  Vikes gave Davante.  I have no idea what the Falcons will give away this week.  

To some degree, when something works well one week, I often feel like "Let's keep doing that and do more of it again next game!"   But my head almost tells me that whatever was used a lot one week, maybe that's exactly what I should assume will not be used much the following?  :):). Maybe the defense will emphasize adjustments to take it away?  Or maybe our coaches will assume it's now too predictable and we should do something different?  

After the Saints, part of me wants to reproduce the bundles of productive easy completions to the tight-ends.  Maybe even do more with it, if Jace is now on the board and has some confidence back; and if Deguara were to be back and ready to contribute.  But pretty good chance that after a >100-yard TE game, perhaps next game they will get very few targets or receptions? 

If Davante is good to go, not sure I'll want to play tons of 12 necessitating benching any of Adams, MVS, or Lazard....

I think Rodgers will be amped up for Monday Night Football and hit eight different players for receptions.  I can see Jones getting heavy duty this game also.  Our defense does just enough and GB gets to 4-0.

I originally thought this could be a trap game, but I think there’s a fire in this team (especially Rodgers) and MLF will have them ready to play.

9 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Is Dillon just not needed, or did I miss something about injury or doghouse with the guy?

Whose snaps are he taking?  Aaron Jones is our best offensive weapon not named Davante Adams, and Jamaal Williams offers better pass protection.

52 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I think if it was just that we would see some Dillon snaps but I called Williams a JAG this offseason. I feel like he has turned himself into a more explosive runner as well. 

I'm starting to believe that J Williams is an Edgar Bennett clone.  Hard worker.  Great character guy.  Reliable.  But also someone who clearly does not scare a defense.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm starting to believe that J Williams is an Edgar Bennett clone.  Hard worker.  Great character guy.  Reliable.  But also someone who clearly does not scare a defense.

He's definitely a better player than most 2nd backs in the NFL though.  A lot of teams have 2nd backs who would do well if given a lot of carries because they run well.  But Williams does the little things to add to the offense week in and week out.  Most #2 backs and #3 backs (not 3rd down guys/receiver types like James white) subtly detract from the offense if they aren't the one getting the ball.

I think Williams is a really great guy to have on the field getting snaps and NOT getting the ball that often.  Similar to Big Dog.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I honestly think Williams is the one the Packers will bring back over Jones. Dillon then becomes the main ball carrier while Williams is still around do to the little things right. That's also if we don't franchise tag Jones if we can't get a deal done.

That's the strategy I would pursue.  Re-signing Jones is exciting but more risky if he gets injured or if the O-line deteriorates and he's not as effective as a result.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

...Hard worker.  Great character guy.  Reliable.  But also someone who clearly does not scare a defense.

Brandon Jackson was kinda like that, renowned for his pass-blocking and effort.  (Williams is obviously in an offense better oriented for running, and even last year his 4.3 was better than Jackson ever had.  Williams is also a better receiver in an offense that uses backs more.). 

I do believe that "scare a defense" is a thing, and that sometimes creating more than the blocking gave you is a thing, too.  If Jamaal was the primary back, I'm not sure that either Saints or Vikings would have schemed their defenses the way they did, in both cases allocating a lot of attention to the running game and leaving some vulnerabilities elsewhere as a result.  

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hope LaFleur is sincere about this and we see Adams and Clark play. All hands on deck for a team with No. 1 seed aspirations. Every game is a big game. 

They're not going to rush them back if they're not ready or if they're running the risk of having the injury worsen.  Nor should they.  If anything, they're probably going to be cautious especially given that they have a bye next week.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're not going to rush them back if they're not ready or if they're running the risk of having the injury worsen.  Nor should they.  If anything, they're probably going to be cautious especially given that they have a bye next week.

Not talking about playing anyone who's hurt and can't play. Talking about playing the guy if he's ready and not sitting him for "precautionary" reasons simply because we have next week off.