Week For Game Day Thread: Atlanta Falcons at Green bay Packers

MacReady

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

What are our options?  

Draft some talent to fit this system.  We could use a Debo or Aiyuk type (damn you SF!) to bring along in DA's final year.  Theoretically this kind of offense thrives with diverse receivers who can do a bit of everything esp. after the catch, but don't have to be Julio Jones.  

14 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Draft some talent to fit this system.  We could use a Debo or Aiyuk type (damn you SF!) to bring along in DA's final year.  Theoretically this kind of offense thrives with diverse receivers who can do a bit of everything esp. after the catch, but don't have to be Julio Jones.  

It would take a rookie at least 3 years in the NFL, if not more, to get to where Adams is at, as a football player, today.

I'm all for drafting receivers, but I'm not going to pretend that letting go of Adams and replacing his production/knowledge is as easy as drafting a guy or two.

None of Lazard, ESB or MVS have #1 WR ability.  Maybe we can get by with them while breaking in a rookie, but there is little reason to do that.  Vante is only 27 years old.  He's not falling off the cliff, athletically, any time soon.

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm all for drafting receivers, but I'm not going to pretend that letting go of Adams and replacing his production/knowledge is as easy as drafting a guy or two.

For me, that is an argument to draft asap. It's not about the next Adams, but seasoning a player soon to adequately replace the production when/if we move on.  This system can hopefully function with some B+ receivers who are dialed in.  If you have a HOF under center this should work even better.  Adams is top 5 in the league as far as I'm concerned, I doubt we get that draft lucky.  We have shown there are ways to win without him.

50 minutes ago, Refugee said:

For me, that is an argument to draft asap. It's not about the next Adams, but seasoning a player soon to adequately replace the production when/if we move on.  This system can hopefully function with some B+ receivers who are dialed in.  If you have a HOF under center this should work even better.  Adams is top 5 in the league as far as I'm concerned, I doubt we get that draft lucky.  We have shown there are ways to win without him.

The fact about receivers taking time to develop is exactly the reason you do not let Adams out the door for the next 3-5 years.

You can replace, somewhat, an MVS or Lazard, if you had to.  Replacing Adams is a whole different kind of thing.  Given Rodgers age, I'm not sure why anyone would be against keeping him long term.  

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Given Rodgers age, I'm not sure why anyone would be against keeping him long term.  

I think we're mostly in agreement but see the outcome differently.  No reasonable fan wants to see Adams go.  He's incredibly talented, works hard, elevates his teammates and has completed the mind meld with 12.  The trouble is that you can't pay everyone and 3rd contracts are rare.

In 2 years, there's no gaurantee Rodgers will be in GB, although I would hate to see it.  A good GM drafts for the future and is prepared for losing  players, ether from contract or injury.  WR's can contribute in their rookie and sophomore seasons and we need some talent to develop.

26 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I think we're mostly in agreement but see the outcome differently.  No reasonable fan wants to see Adams go.  He's incredibly talented, works hard, elevates his teammates and has completed the mind meld with 12.  The trouble is that you can't pay everyone and 3rd contracts are rare.

In 2 years, there's no gaurantee Rodgers will be in GB, although I would hate to see it.  A good GM drafts for the future and is prepared for losing  players, ether from contract or injury.  WR's can contribute in their rookie and sophomore seasons and we need some talent to develop.

We have a good GM.  No doubt.

And our WR cupboard isn't loaded.  Davante is young.  We do pay WR's third deals.  Jordy got one.  Though, his second deal was 3 years at modest money.

No one is going to convince me that Davante isn't worth it.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It would take a rookie at least 3 years in the NFL, if not more, to get to where Adams is at, as a football player, today.

None of Lazard, ESB or MVS have #1 WR ability.  Maybe we can get by with them while breaking in a rookie, but there is little reason to do that.  Vante is only 27 years old.  He's not falling off the cliff, athletically, any time soon.

I just think giving huge 3rd contracts to increasingly injury prone players is not what you want to be doing.  He is picking up injuries every year and its going to get worse. Ultimately we are paying the price for ignoring the position in the draft for years and years possibly being forced into what would be a bad contract.  Well who else is going to play there isn't a great argument for a risky contract.

4 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

I just think giving huge 3rd contracts to increasingly injury prone players is not what you want to be doing.  He is picking up injuries every year and its going to get worse. Ultimately we are paying the price for ignoring the position in the draft for years and years possibly being forced into what would be a bad contract.  Well who else is going to play there isn't a great argument for a risky contract.

He's a WR and it's a hammie that he deals with.  It isn't uncommon.  And though he has been injured, this last time he wanted to finish the game and declared himself good to go after being out one game.  Hammie issues are up big time this year, heard some guys on Sirius XM talking about, think it was John Clayton who did the research.  

I think Clay had hammie issues a lot when he was younger.  As he aged, that didn't get worse, I think it actually got better.

I guess to me, it is a riskier move to let him walk and try to backfill the position with no one on the roster currently who has anything close to his skillset.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

He's a WR and it's a hammie that he deals with.  It isn't uncommon.  And though he has been injured, this last time he wanted to finish the game and declared himself good to go after being out one game.  Hammie issues are up big time this year, heard some guys on Sirius XM talking about, think it was John Clayton who did the research.  

I think Clay had hammie issues a lot when he was younger.  As he aged, that didn't get worse, I think it actually got better.

I guess to me, it is a riskier move to let him walk and try to backfill the position with no one on the roster currently who has anything close to his skillset.

GB can structure the contract to have an out if they want to go that route.  Adam's should be able to age well and he seems to be someone that will keep his body in good shape.  The concussion, and toe injuries were part of playing.   The hamstring is more related to the state of 2020 and COVID

• Like 1