2020 NBA Offseason Thread

11sanchez11

45 minutes ago, indifference said:

I’d love to add D Rose, in fact we almost sent Caurso packing for his services. That said, the Rondo/Bron lead LAL team is good enough to win a title again. I dont see any reason to make drastic changes. if lakers get Rose (for a pick )i’d imagine one of our gaurd is out. 

No need for drastic changes but KCP, Rondo, Howard, and Morris are all free agents this summer and were all a big part of the Lakers postseason rotation. The Lakers are certainly good enough to win another title but the West will be better next year with a healthy Warriors team coming back.

I'm really not that high on the Warriors going forward. Draymond has fallen off big time. Klay is coming off injury. Their team depth sucks. Unless they snag Wiseman or flip the pick/Wiggins for someone else good I don't view that improving much. Curry will actually be asked to carry the load and while I view him as capable of it skill wise, I don't think he is durability wise. 

17 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm really not that high on the Warriors going forward. Draymond has fallen off big time. Klay is coming off injury. Their team depth sucks. Unless they snag Wiseman or flip the pick/Wiggins for someone else good I don't view that improving much. Curry will actually be asked to carry the load and while I view him as capable of it skill wise, I don't think he is durability wise. 

very surprising that people are giving them decent title odds right now. that FO needs to pull a bunch of --- out of their --- to make that roster not awful. I think it's possible, but I am in wait and see mode. they have three good NBA players - one of which is coming off a major injury and one of which can't score. Steph the god and i think they will be a playoff team....but title contender? i gotta wait and see what happens this offseason 

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Draymond's game and playing style is significantly more valuable when they have Steph/Klay on the floor. I think that Klay/Curry will both bounce back to pre-injury form and they'll still be one of the best duos in the league. 

I'm not a huge Wiggins fan but he's quietly coming off of a career year, he averaged 22/5/4 on decent efficiency. And set career highs for rebounds, assists, eFG%, TS%, and PER last season. He's only 25 and has reportedly been working closely with the Warriors training staff all offseason to take his game to the next level. 

They have the MLE and should be able to pick up a solid piece using that. And reports are that they're looking to trade out of the #2 spot. If they could potentially move the #2 pick to Detroit for a package of #7, Derrick Rose, and Luke Kennard I think they'd be in pretty good shape. Use the 7th pick on Oneyka Okongwu, sign Gallinari with the MLE, and Nerlens Noel to a vet minimum deal. 

PG - Curry | Rose 

SG - Thompson | Kennard

SF - Wiggins | Gallinari 

PF - Green | Paschall 

C - Okongwu | Noel 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

very surprising that people are giving them decent title odds right now. that FO needs to pull a bunch of --- out of their --- to make that roster not awful. I think it's possible, but I am in wait and see mode. they have three good NBA players - one of which is coming off a major injury and one of which can't score. Steph the god and i think they will be a playoff team....but title contender? i gotta wait and see what happens this offseason 

They need to trade the #2 pick so they can beef up their bench and use the MLE on a solid vet. 

12/1 isn’t really that favorable of odds.  For the money I like both them and the Nets at 14/1.  

I think Chriss would be better as the backup 5 going foward than Noel so no need to waste the MLE and they have the trade exception although historically trade exceptions can be difficult and usually go un used.  

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

I think Chriss would be better as the backup 5 going foward than Noel so no need to waste the MLE and they have the trade exception although historically trade exceptions can be difficult and usually go un used.  

Depending on what happens with the #2 pick I think they should use the MLE to sign Gallinari, Crowder, or Ariza. Yeah trade exceptions aren't always used but GS is an a unique spot because they can trade the #2 pick. 

4 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

They don't have the full MLE. They only have the taxpayer MLE.

They can still make some moves to improve, they definitely need to move the #2 pick though. I wonder if they could move #2 to Boston for #14 and Marcus Smart. Boston would be moving up to draft James Wiseman. They could then use the 26th pick and 30th pick on guys like Ty-Shon Alexander and Tyler Bey to replace Smart's defense in their rotation. 

Golden State could use the 14th pick to select Jalen Smith, Precious Achiuwa, or Saddiq Bey. 

17 hours ago, champ11 said:

Warriors in 5!!!!!!

But yeah, very flawed roster right now. Need a few more pieces to become a legitimate contender. The core will make every playoff series hell for the opponent but the West is loaded. I think Wiggins will actually be fine and be a solid contributor. Klay may start the season rusty but he will have damn near two years to recover from his injury. I'm more worried about having to rely on Looney. If healthy, dude is good and a versatile defender. But his health is a huge question mark. Draymond is going to have to play defense at a DPOY level and I'm not sure if he is still able to do that for an entire season....I do think he can turn it up in the playoffs. I don't know, but they need to somehow get a couple rotational players with the #2 pick. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Draymond's game and playing style is significantly more valuable when they have Steph/Klay on the floor. I think that Klay/Curry will both bounce back to pre-injury form and they'll still be one of the best duos in the league. 

I'm not a huge Wiggins fan but he's quietly coming off of a career year, he averaged 22/5/4 on decent efficiency. And set career highs for rebounds, assists, eFG%, TS%, and PER last season. He's only 25 and has reportedly been working closely with the Warriors training staff all offseason to take his game to the next level. 

They have the MLE and should be able to pick up a solid piece using that. And reports are that they're looking to trade out of the #2 spot. If they could potentially move the #2 pick to Detroit for a package of #7, Derrick Rose, and Luke Kennard I think they'd be in pretty good shape. Use the 7th pick on Oneyka Okongwu, sign Gallinari with the MLE, and Nerlens Noel to a vet minimum deal. 

PG - Curry | Rose 

SG - Thompson | Kennard

SF - Wiggins | Gallinari 

PF - Green | Paschall 

C - Okongwu | Noel 

That's a lot of moving parts to get a decent team. Draymond is certainly better when Steph and Klay are around but he's been declining for years now. I'm probably higher on him at his peak than most here but I don't think at age 31 he's going to be anywhere near he was the last time they were contending. Wiggins had a stretch in Minnesota where he was playing elite ball and than his grandma died and he reverted back to doing the same stuff he was doing before. Maybe they can motivate him, the talent is certainly there but I'm a skeptic.

I'm not worried about Steph and Klay coming back as bad players. I'm concerned that Klay will be a bit rusty and start slow, and Curry will be asked to do more than he's capable of doing physically. Remember people said last year he was going to go nuts without Klay and I said I don't think he can finish a season carrying the team on his back and he immediately got injured. He was in the ideal spot where he could coast and sit most 4th quarters the last few years and it wouldn't matter because the team was so talented. If they want to make the playoffs he'll need to play a lot more and carry a far bigger load than he has in the last 5 years. He's already fragile and he's only getting older. I don't think he can be MVP Curry for 82 games playing 36 mpg at age 33.