The Replacements vs The Replaceables (0-3 Broncos @ 0-3 Jets)

lomaxgrUK

It’s hard to take much away from that game, considering it’s the Jets. But always nice to get a win. 

I did like most of what I saw from Rypien but rookies are going to make some weird mistakes, love his toughness. Also good news the Fant injury isn’t serious. 

The end of the game was absurd but it’s Gase/Williams, to most classless people in the league. I still remember when some around here wanted Gase to be our HC. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Positive: Elway's team just ended Adam Gase's coaching career. 

He’ll find work as an OC eventually given the recycle nature of the league.   But yeah any team would be insane to hire this guy as HC.   Total disaster.  

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He’ll find work as an OC eventually given the recycle nature of the league.   But yeah any team would be insane to hire this guy as HC.   Total disaster.  

Been waiting for this one since that absolute BS onside kick in the Dolphins game in 2017. 

Initial thoughts:

- Rypien did well, but undermined himself with some awful decisions. It's his first start, so that was going to happen. That pick 6 was just brutal and ultimately, I think it's that throw that is going to get him benched for Bortles unfortunately (a decision I totally disagree with). Like @Broncofan says, he has clear backup potential if he can just prevent the turnovers.
This is a bit presumptuous of me, but I think the pick 6 was him not wanting to take a sack. The only reason Rypien is in the game is because the last QB kept taking sacks, so I am guessing he just forced the issue for that reason. Taking a sack with quick pressure up the gut is not on the QB, unless he's misdiagnosed a blitz.

- Kareem Jackson is a leader on this team. That BS effort on the Darnold run should be called out publicly, and he should acknowledge it himself.

- You can tell the lack of faith Fangio has in our pass rush. He blitzed all night. I don't care who the opposition has at WR, that is rough on your DBs and Bassey couldn't handle it. I really like Bausby; said as much last year. Him outside with Callahan in the slot has to be where we go moving forward

- I thought our outside pass pro looked good. Who your playing is a big thing, obviously, but you can only beat who you're facing

- I can't not celebrate a win. People want to get a good pick, I know. Still - I just can't not be happy when the team wins. Besides - we don't play a team anywhere near as bad as the Jets again, so the crowd who want us to lose don't need to worry. Especially with Bortles almost certainly coming in

• Like 2

I am happy we won. I'll always be happy to see the Broncos win. Bummed because this is a game that I could have went to in a normal timeline since I live 40 min from Metlife.

Overall, some good some bad, as you'd expect. I thought Rypien looked pretty good considering he's had likely zero reps/time and had a short week travelling east. Some bad throws, but that's going to happen. Also thought he made some good throws. Would like to see him continue to be QB, but I am guessing Bortles will start vs NE.

Tim Patrick had a good game- he's definitely a more valuable WR than I think he gets credit for (from myself included). Pretty reliable depth guy to have.

The run defense looked very good, granted it was the corpse of Frank Gore and the Jets, but you gotta win the battles on the field, and we did.

Great to see Chubb look like himself again, and hell of a game for Josey Jewell. I thought he played phenomenal last night.

Bausby needs to play going forward. He's better on the boundary, Callahan can move inside, and Ojemudia can stay on the other side. I like Bassey, but he's going to get exposed by better teams if he got that exposed last night.

McManus legged out some monster kicks in the rain. Enjoyed seeing that after the big contract.

Not sure why Vic didn't kneel the ball at the end of the game rather than let Rypien get murdered out there. That was fairly irresponsible and illogical. On the flipside, Gregg Willams is a POS and I am not shocked they had, what, 7 personal foul calls last night? Just gross, but unsurprising.

Finally, I will eat my well-deserved crow here. Adam Gase is an atrocity. I was a big Gase fan when he was our OC under Manning and (wrongly) felt that he could be a good NFL HC if given the chance, including here in Denver. He clearly is and has not been up to that task- the Jets awful GM situation aside. I expect Gase loses his job shortly, probably popping up as someone's QB coach for a few years to rebuild his credibility. I do not think he'll ever be a HC again.

Good to get off the mark- especially because I still do not expect us to have a great deal of success against better/healthier teams. I will give Vic and the coaching staff a lot of credit though- this team continues to fight hard and play hard on a weekly basis and as a fan I appreciate that.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I agree that Rypien doesn't have the arm talent to be a starter, but is it odd that I feel happy that maybe the Broncos found a guy who can backup for awhile until he decides to be a coach?

Lol that's a pretty accurate way to put it, and I agree. Feels like the logical career arc for Rypien.

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Lol that's a pretty accurate way to put it, and I agree. Feels like the logical career arc for Rypien.

I mean I am rather confident he can come off the bench and which a few games when the starter gets hurt.  I am also confident whoever the starter is that he has the gray matter to help that guy out as a pseudo player/coach.  Plus, based on Chubb's post game interview, it seems like the players like him a lot.  But how could you not, when your QB winds up being a lead blocker on a long touchdown run, you gotta love him.  I hope he in seven to ten years he is the Broncos HC.  

We absolutely should not take Rhypin out for Bortles. This season is about seeing what we have in the young guys at this point. We have a chance to develop a cost controlled backup QB and we should do it unless he turns into a complete Peterman like dumpster fire. 

Jeudy only had 2 catches, but he is flashing some #1 WR talent. That long catch was just all him. 

When Rhypin threw that 2nd INT, was it just me or did it look like his target sorta gave up on the play and slowed down allowing the CB to jump the throw?

• Like 1