The Replacements vs The Replaceables (0-3 Broncos @ 0-3 Jets)

lomaxgrUK

Whole there were definite up and downs for Rypien, in his defense he didn’t get a whole hell of a lot of practice time this week.  I’d rather see him make the start against NE to see if he is worthy of being a good backup in this league.   Give him a real shot 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

Whole there were definite up and downs for Rypien, in his defense he didn’t get a whole hell of a lot of practice time this week.  I’d rather see him make the start against NE to see if he is worthy of being a good backup in this league.   Give him a real shot 

YEAH, Rypien for President. Pedro for Veep

I think the Broncos envision Lock/Rypien as an Elway/Kubiak relationship. Brett has limited talent but he seems to pick things up quickly and is very helpful to Drew in preparation. 

More thoughts:

-Melvin Gordon can be frustrating to watch as vision is not his strength and he can leave some yards on the field. But when he can cut it and get downhill, he’s still a smooth looking runner. That looked like the Gordon coming out of college five years ago. It’s also apparent that Gordon has brought some leadership to the offense and team as a whole. 

-Jeudy is gonna make amazing plays all the time, can’t be surprised by anything you see him do on the field. Tim Patrick has always shown up as a mismatch situationally but he seems to be thriving in his expanded role. He’s an RFA next year and I think you might need to give him that R2 tender, at the least he’s good Sutton insurance coming off the injury, he’s also capable of having big games if he gets an exploitable matchup.

-Finally caught a break on an injury with Fant, it seems. Man Vannett is comically bad. Like, clearly a downgrade from Jeff Heuerman. Just feels silly having Albert O sit every week while Vannett has bad game after bad game. In the blocking game, maybe the answer is more Beck. Definitely need to see less Vannett.

-How much longer does the front office wait before they make a push to re-sign Bolles? Also, Dotson to my eyes looked like a pass pro upgrade but who knows how many games he has left in him. Things should improve the more Cushenberry plays.

-Purcell and Harris continue to shut things down inside. I’d be looking to get deals done with both soon. Purcell would be easy. Harris I think you can get for less then he wanted less offseason if you try to get a deal done soon, he’s playing the best football of his career and does he want to risk another swing and miss in free agency? Would really like to see both here a couple more years. Jurrell Casey is an easy cap casualty next year and both Dre’Mont and Agim would continue to expand their roles. 

-Bradley Chubb popped seemingly every play in the way all great edge rushers do. Now, it’s the Jets, but Chubb looked like he was at least very close to his 2018 form. He may not ever be blowing by tackles with speed the way guys like Von and Ware did but he’s an excellent all around player. Encouraging, as there isn’t another edge rusher on the Von-less roster who can pressure the QB.

-Jewell looks a lot better then he did last year. But I suspect his limitations will hurt the defense to enough times to continue looking for “the guy” there. Still, it was a fun performance and he at least gives you great depth next year.

-Three very good performances from Ojemudia now. He looks better than I could have ever imagined at this stage. Tough luck to not have at least one pick with how much he’s been around the ball. Looks like he’s gonna be a good player. Bassey got exposed badly. Tough matchup for an UDFA because Crowder in the slot is their best WR by a mile. When Bausby came in the secondary looked great. Callahan in his natural spot, two long ball hawking outside corners. Bouye will come back soon but until whenever that is, I’m comfortable with Bausby. When everyone is healthy this group looks pretty strong.

• Like 1

Three very good performances from Ojemudia now. He looks better than I could have ever imagined at this stage

He has been better than I could ever have imagined. Shows what we know. Few even knew his name but Vic sure as hell knew he would fit this scheme. 

Jurrell Casey is an easy cap casualty next year and both Dre’Mont and Agim would continue to expand their roles.

I want to say that we should bring him back if he renegotiates to about half his current AV, but considering we need to pay Purcell and Harris you just cant justify that IMO. We will see how it plays out though. 

Tim Patrick has always shown up as a mismatch situationally but he seems to be thriving in his expanded role. He’s an RFA next year and I think you might need to give him that R2 tender, at the least he’s good Sutton insurance coming off the injury, he’s also capable of having big games if he gets an exploitable matchup.

He is a perfect WR4. I would have no issues giving him a R2 tender, but he likely leaves after next season if he can get some money. You dont pay your WR4 more than like 3M IMO. Still, if he balls out this year maybe we can get a R2 for him? JK, that wont happen as much as we may wish lol. 

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Initial thoughts:

- Rypien did well, but undermined himself with some awful decisions. It's his first start, so that was going to happen. That pick 6 was just brutal and ultimately, I think it's that throw that is going to get him benched for Bortles unfortunately (a decision I totally disagree with). Like @Broncofan says, he has clear backup potential if he can just prevent the turnovers.
This is a bit presumptuous of me, but I think the pick 6 was him not wanting to take a sack. The only reason Rypien is in the game is because the last QB kept taking sacks, so I am guessing he just forced the issue for that reason. Taking a sack with quick pressure up the gut is not on the QB, unless he's misdiagnosed a blitz.

- Kareem Jackson is a leader on this team. That BS effort on the Darnold run should be called out publicly, and he should acknowledge it himself.

- You can tell the lack of faith Fangio has in our pass rush. He blitzed all night. I don't care who the opposition has at WR, that is rough on your DBs and Bassey couldn't handle it. I really like Bausby; said as much last year. Him outside with Callahan in the slot has to be where we go moving forward

- I thought our outside pass pro looked good. Who your playing is a big thing, obviously, but you can only beat who you're facing

- I can't not celebrate a win. People want to get a good pick, I know. Still - I just can't not be happy when the team wins. Besides - we don't play a team anywhere near as bad as the Jets again, so the crowd who want us to lose don't need to worry. Especially with Bortles almost certainly coming in

Good stuff. I think our pass pro benefited from so many heavy sets. They werent' leaving Dotson uncovered. Risner has me confused though. Maybe it's a communication problem but it looks more than that. Maybe you can spot something on the All 22.

I'm actually having to watch each offensive play a few times now 'cause watching Bolles is pretty fun and funny at the same time. I think thats the first time he's ever gained us 15 yards in penalties. He's abusing people out there now and starting to draw some cheap shots

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think the Broncos envision Lock/Rypien as an Elway/Kubiak relationship. Brett has limited talent but he seems to pick things up quickly and is very helpful to Drew in preparation. 

More thoughts:

-Melvin Gordon can be frustrating to watch as vision is not his strength and he can leave some yards on the field. But when he can cut it and get downhill, he’s still a smooth looking runner. That looked like the Gordon coming out of college five years ago. It’s also apparent that Gordon has brought some leadership to the offense and team as a whole. 

-Jeudy is gonna make amazing plays all the time, can’t be surprised by anything you see him do on the field. Tim Patrick has always shown up as a mismatch situationally but he seems to be thriving in his expanded role. He’s an RFA next year and I think you might need to give him that R2 tender, at the least he’s good Sutton insurance coming off the injury, he’s also capable of having big games if he gets an exploitable matchup.

-Finally caught a break on an injury with Fant, it seems. Man Vannett is comically bad. Like, clearly a downgrade from Jeff Heuerman. Just feels silly having Albert O sit every week while Vannett has bad game after bad game. In the blocking game, maybe the answer is more Beck. Definitely need to see less Vannett.

-How much longer does the front office wait before they make a push to re-sign Bolles? Also, Dotson to my eyes looked like a pass pro upgrade but who knows how many games he has left in him. Things should improve the more Cushenberry plays.

-Purcell and Harris continue to shut things down inside. I’d be looking to get deals done with both soon. Purcell would be easy. Harris I think you can get for less then he wanted less offseason if you try to get a deal done soon, he’s playing the best football of his career and does he want to risk another swing and miss in free agency? Would really like to see both here a couple more years. Jurrell Casey is an easy cap casualty next year and both Dre’Mont and Agim would continue to expand their roles. 

-Bradley Chubb popped seemingly every play in the way all great edge rushers do. Now, it’s the Jets, but Chubb looked like he was at least very close to his 2018 form. He may not ever be blowing by tackles with speed the way guys like Von and Ware did but he’s an excellent all around player. Encouraging, as there isn’t another edge rusher on the Von-less roster who can pressure the QB.

-Jewell looks a lot better then he did last year. But I suspect his limitations will hurt the defense to enough times to continue looking for “the guy” there. Still, it was a fun performance and he at least gives you great depth next year.

-Three very good performances from Ojemudia now. He looks better than I could have ever imagined at this stage. Tough luck to not have at least one pick with how much he’s been around the ball. Looks like he’s gonna be a good player. Bassey got exposed badly. Tough matchup for an UDFA because Crowder in the slot is their best WR by a mile. When Bausby came in the secondary looked great. Callahan in his natural spot, two long ball hawking outside corners. Bouye will come back soon but until whenever that is, I’m comfortable with Bausby. When everyone is healthy this group looks pretty strong.

I'm just really nervous right now with our FO and Bolles / Harris. If Elway doesn't get something done pretty quick we could lose them both. 

Bolles has been fantastic all season and the roughness penalty he drew yesterday makes him a +5 on penalty yards this year. Harris was responsible for some of Chubbs stats. Losing those two would be huge.

Yeah I’ll take a helping of crow, Bolles has been terrific this year. No ever argued the talent wasn’t there, good to see him get his head right and play. 

Can one of our OL experts enlighten me about the play of Risner? He was borderline elite as a rookie last year and this year he looks ... off. Sandy and Orlando talked about it today and Orlando made the point that maybe he has an undisclosed injury because they can’t figure it out. 

I mean know good and bad OL play when I see it but I can’t put my finger what’s wrong with him. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Can one of our OL experts enlighten me about the play of Risner? He was borderline elite as a rookie last year and this year he looks ... off. Sandy and Orlando talked about it today and Orlando made the point that maybe he has an undisclosed injury because they can’t figure it out. 

I mean know good and bad OL play when I see it but I can’t put my finger what’s wrong with him. 

I'm not gonna completely excuse him but so think his play is off due to hesitation I see him trying to help the rookie center a lot causing him to be late to assignments looks like he's trying to do too much.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah I’ll take a helping of crow, Bolles has been terrific this year. No ever argued the talent wasn’t there, good to see him get his head right and play. 

I read something a long time ago that Bolles hired someone to help him with his mental capacities.  If Risner can get it together that would be a nice left side.  Also, liked how Bolles defended Rypien last night.  If you are an offensive lineman you gotta get in peoples' faces.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'm just really nervous right now with our FO and Bolles / Harris. If Elway doesn't get something done pretty quick we could lose them both. 

Bolles has been fantastic all season and the roughness penalty he drew yesterday makes him a +5 on penalty yards this year. Harris was responsible for some of Chubbs stats. Losing those two would be huge.

Surprising that Denver didn’t even pick up his 5th year option.