Ravens extend Marlon Humphrey to 5 year, $98.75 million extension.

M.10.E

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

tbh I was worried we weren't gonna sign Marlon, but I'm so happy we did. He deserves every penny.

Never had a doubt about Humphrey. There is literally ONE star player on defense that we need to lock up.

I've said it before the season, but I think a tag and trade of Stanley is the most likely way that we lose one of our core players.

Edited by wackywabbit

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Does me being lukewarm to cool on the pick get offset by me begging them to trade up and get Watt?

No, because you wanted to trade one of our 3rd Round Picks to do it.

TJ Watt is good, but Chris Wormley and Tim Williams are integral to this current squad of ours. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I've said it before the season, but I think a tag and trade of Stanley is the most likely way that we lose one of our core players.

If we do this, I want a legit player(s) in exchange. A couple years ago I floated the Judon + Picks for Khalil Mack idea, and have wanted him used in such a deal every year since. 

The best team to rope would be one who has a young QB they're trying to build a line for and an elite defender they value less in exchange for a franchise piece at LT. So like Joe Bosa from the Chargers, Chris Jones from the Chiefs(If they hated Eric Fisher), Fletcher Cox from the Eagles(If he was younger).

If we're giving up a Top 5 Tackle in his prime we better be getting back guaranteed elite youthful impact at a similarly cornerstone position.

I don't think we lose Stanley though. I see EDC locking him up.

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

IDK why this made you laugh. You just know Bowser is like "I can smell it, I can smell it" 🤑🤑. He wants his bag lol. He was so close to getting Mahomes last game, and if he had that would've been Sacks in 3 straight games. Dude is hungry af.

Live Look at Tyus-

Mr t reaction rocky iii GIF on GIFER - by KalabarLet's hope Bowser does earn that (modest) extension.

If I’m EDC I’m extending Bowser ASAP and doing it before Stanley. I don’t trust Stanley post contract to play in games when he’s hurt. I feel like this is the same movie as with Eugene Monroe a few years ago.

• Like 1

If Wink is going to be our DC for the foreseeable future, one of Judon or Bowser has to be retained. No Rookie is coming in and playing SAM for us in any kind of truly impactful/productive/reliable way. Too much is asked of the position within our system imo.

So if you don't want to have a jeopardized/nerfed body at a key position on defense, you've got to make a move. Judon's price tag is outrageous for the returns, and Bowser's price tag goes up with every game he's productive in. 

I guess worst case we could try converting Malik Harrison outside, but I don't think that's a move anyone is really comfortable with. 

Decosta has a decision to make.

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

I remember not liking the Humphrey pick. If I'm remembering correctly it was his issues getting his head around in coverage. Strike that one off the severe concern list.

We were a couple with that scepticism and based on his play in college it was justified. 

He improved quickly in that area though and especially good at getting his hands in between the receivers in the catch proces to Rip the Ball loose when going to the ground.

On 10/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, DreamKid said:

If we do this, I want a legit player(s) in exchange. A couple years ago I floated the Judon + Picks for Khalil Mack idea, and have wanted him used in such a deal every year since. 

The best team to rope would be one who has a young QB they're trying to build a line for and an elite defender they value less in exchange for a franchise piece at LT. So like Joe Bosa from the Chargers, Chris Jones from the Chiefs(If they hated Eric Fisher), Fletcher Cox from the Eagles(If he was younger).

If we're giving up a Top 5 Tackle in his prime we better be getting back guaranteed elite youthful impact at a similarly cornerstone position.

I don't think we lose Stanley though. I see EDC locking him up.

We are going to disagree here, but I'd take a Tunsil like package (2 first and a second). I I'd like to do the opposite of what BOB and the Texans did in general. They blew all their future assets to put pieces around Watson now and they aren't really that great now. I fully believe in Lamar long term so I am not thinking about it like we have a 2-3 year window, where we need to get premium stuff now. Lamar is only 23 and I think he is going to be a star for a LONG time. Cap is finite, but premium draft picks are not. 

This is all talk about what I would do. It'd be extremely bold of a team to move a Ronnie Stanley. But, focusing on the team we have, I don't think a premium LT makes as much of a difference with Lamar as it did when we had a pocket passer like Flacco and it was the biggest variable of the team's success. Not that they would be our first call, but a LT who will sign a top of the market deal has more value to a team like the Bengals. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

This is all talk about what I would do. It'd be extremely bold of a team to move a Ronnie Stanley. But, focusing on the team we have, I don't think a premium LT makes as much of a difference with Lamar as it did when we had a pocket passer like Flacco and it was the biggest variable of the team's success. Not that they would be our first call, but a LT who will sign a top of the market deal has more value to a team like the Bengals. 

Even if Lamar does have generational mobility, we still want him to have as good of protection as possible. His best throws have come from inside the pocket vs out. Losing Stanley immediately makes our line and offense more vulnerable. Losing Jensen hurt us. Losing Yanda hurt us. And losing Stanley would hurt us as well. We've felt the ripple affects of losing Yanda harshly already this season. Elite OL are hard to come by and offenses can tank quickly when you aren't replacing them with plus players. 

14 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

We are going to disagree here, but I'd take a Tunsil like package (2 first and a second). I I'd like to do the opposite of what BOB and the Texans did in general. They blew all their future assets to put pieces around Watson now and they aren't really that great now. I fully believe in Lamar long term so I am not thinking about it like we have a 2-3 year window, where we need to get premium stuff now. Lamar is only 23 and I think he is going to be a star for a LONG time. Cap is finite, but premium draft picks are not. 

I was counter to your position prior to this season, for one main reason... Stanley seemed to be turning the durability corner. I had optimism that his durability was simply a thing of bad luck that had plagued him to that point. One more largely healthy season like last year and I would’ve been fully against this type of mindset. However he’s back to his “will he or won’t he” play type of injuries. So far we’ve been lucky and he’s played in those games. But with $60m guaranteed in the bank, do we really expect him not to turn out like Eugene Monroe? They’re basically the same OT outside of Stanley, post Lamar looking like an elite run blocker. Prior to Lamar however he seemed simply good at it, like Monroe. Whether it’s development, scheme, or what... I see these OTs very similarly.

I‘ve moves my position and I think you’re right here and this might be a situation where the team has to sell high.

13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Even if Lamar does have generational mobility, we still want him to have as good of protection as possible. His best throws have come from inside the pocket vs out. Losing Stanley immediately makes our line and offense more vulnerable. Losing Jensen hurt us. Losing Yanda hurt us. And losing Stanley would hurt us as well. We've felt the ripple affects of losing Yanda harshly already this season. Elite OL are hard to come by and offenses can tank quickly when you aren't replacing them with plus players. 

I agree that it’s not ideal and this was my position following last season. I just get a bad feeling with Stanley’s durability. Like I said above and elsewhere, this situation reminds me of Eugene Monroe before we gave him that extension.

Great OL don’t grow on trees, however I do think IFFF we could find value similar to what the Texans gave up, I’d do it. This isn’t Miami in charge of the picks.

Speaking of Miami with all of their picks they’ve accumulated and Tua in tow next season, if their OL doesn’t improve by the end of the season, trading for Stanley would make sense. The Chargers would also be another team with a terrible OL that has found their QB of the future (seemingly) and have the need for an elite pass blocker. Lastly the Giants could be in that position if they determine Andrew Thomas works better at RT if his early struggles, is indicative of what to expect this season.

Trading Stanley would be less than ideal. But paying him and watching him sit out for stretches at a time would be even less ideal. If we could trade him and those resources end in us finding the next Frank Ragnow and Isaiah Wynn (OL selected later in the 1st round recently), with both players on cost controlled value for 5 years, I’d chalk that up to a win. It would allow us to not over stress ourselves on the cap.

Or perhaps we trade Stanley to a team in the top 10 and could net an OL with our 1st pick and then finally have a chance to draft a top quality edge like Josh Allen, then the following year their second pick provides us with another quality needed player.

All of this though hinges, for me, on how much Stanley wants though. If he wants elite LT money and elite guarantees, I’m out. If he takes less and/or has a lot of incentives built in for games started? I’d rather keep him. But I doubt his agent would accept such a contract for his client. Hence why I’m now leaning towards @wackywabbit belief on this.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, Danand said:

We were a couple with that scepticism and based on his play in college it was justified. 

He improved quickly in that area though and especially good at getting his hands in between the receivers in the catch proces to Rip the Ball loose when going to the ground.

I just thought it was funny that some people said Ozzie was just enamored with an Alabama player, and OJ Howard or Jonathan Allen we’re better picks we passed on 😄