Week 4: WFT (1-2) vs. Ravens (2-1) 1 PM on CBS

MikeT14

Is this really how this whole season is going to be? Even if our young QB - who hasn’t even started a full season in the NFL yet - makes progress, haters are still going to hate him?

Well, haters gonna hate. We’ve seen this crap before when Kirk was developing too in 2014 & 15.

A lot of qbs throw mostly short passes nowadays. It was the game plan bc Balt’s D is aggressive with exotic blitzes, in order to beat that kind of defense & “catch them” you throw screens & quick passes. It worked to some extent as Haskins threw for his most yds as a pro & highest %.

It amazing to me that our offense puts up 383 yards on arguably the best defense in the NFL w/ Haskins throwing for 314 yds on 71% complete and people still find a way to complain. Go be a Chargers fan if you want to sniff Herbert’s jock so hard.

You know, the Chiefs, Mahomes & Reid ran a lot of quick game/screens in Balt too. They got the ball to their playmakers quick and they playmaker got a lot of yac for Mahomes and he was praised. Haskins does a lot of the same and people crap on him. 

If our D played as well as the Chiefs D vs Lamar and Rivera kicks a FG we are within a few points of beating what most were calling among the best teams in the NFL before the Chiefs brought Baltimore back down to earth.

I saw progress this week, I thought we’d get run out of the building, we didn’t. We played a much better game then I though we would this game was not like the 2005 or 2006 or 2008 game when Brunnell and then Campbell was punished all game and we did zippy on offense, not even CP could get going vs the Ravens D in that game.

• Like 1

Ha, did people watch Herbert’s wide receivers get past the Bucs awful secondary? They were wide open on two of those long bombs, it looked like they had Apke plying safety. Might want to watch the highlights, and also Allen & Parham making amazing catches for their rookie QB. 

You love to see it for Herbert, but he had a lot of help. Outside of Terry, Haskins’s receivers in the passing game aren’t making those types of plays for him downfield or getting that open downfield.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Is this really how this whole season is going to be? Even if our young QB - who hasn’t even started a full season in the NFL yet - makes progress, haters are still going to hate him?

Well, haters gonna hate. We’ve seen this crap before when Kirk was developing too in 2014 & 15.

I get it, but there is PLENTY to be critical of too. It's concerning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I get he wasn't perfect,but as most of us has said all off season he doesn't have the Talent around him to be perfect.Honestly I was really happy with him yesterday biggest knock last week was locking in on  the target and I felt I saw the improvement of him Moving his feet and eyes a lot more this week,which is the thing you want to see the most is week to week improvement.To be fair I'll say it before anyone else does he could have been faster going through the reads.Think the worse thing from him yesterday was not adjust the Oline on overloads,but I don't know how much of that is on him or the Oline without knowing who the coaches put in charge of it.

Thing thing I didn't like most about this week was the Coaching,from poor Clock management again,to poor score management,to the players in the game at certian points.

• Like 1

Disclaimer - I haven't read the 42 above pages. Seems to me  a lot closer game cept for THREE plays . The fumble, The damn fake punt ( who falls for that ! The announcer called it for &&$%&& sake ! ) The 18 yard sack on second and goal late. Maybe 4 plays the clunker F G early from 54 that hit the upright .

Insult to injury-- The pass to Wright on 4th and goal from the13--Really !???  I can take physical mistakes much better than brain mistakes . 😝 

AND, one more thing-- Does the defense automatically give up a T D when the offense has a turnover . Seems so !

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Can anyone reproduce that 4th down throw for me? 

I'm understanding the hate for the pass not going into the end zone, but I want to know the routes that were offered and who was open/covered. I really feel the play call is not getting enough heat for situational awareness too. There were two routes I can recall being well short of the goal line (one of which Haskins threw the ball to).

The problem I am having with this situation, accountability. RR preached if you did everything they asked you to do and you fail, it's on coaching. I do not feel that ANY of the routes on that play should have been short of the goal line. To me it's like the epitome of running a Hail Mary play without having people go deep. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I am not condoning the throw or play by Haskins, but I think blame has to be shared by a coach that preaches accountability.

If anyone could reproduce that video for me, I would appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm understanding the hate for the pass not going into the end zone, but I want to know the routes that were offered and who was open/covered. I really feel the play call is not getting enough heat for situational awareness too. There were two routes I can recall being well short of the goal line (one of which Haskins threw the ball to).

The problem I am having with this situation, accountability. RR preached if you did everything they asked you to do and you fail, it's on coaching. I do not feel that ANY of the routes on that play should have been short of the goal line. To me it's like the epitome of running a Hail Mary play without having people go deep. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I am not condoning the throw or play by Haskins, but I think blame has to be shared by a coach that preaches accountability.

I agree with the announcer - Sometimes the QB must break the pocket and put pressure on the DBs . They might commit a holding penalty or it might give more time to your guys to get open. Make a PLAY !

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I’m critical where there’s places to be critical. I’ve been pretty critical of Haskins this year for a guy who has loved him as a QB since HS and loved him at Ohio State.

It gets old though when people won’t even acknowledge when he does make the correct plays and when the offense/passing game does do well.

This offense has ZERO running game and it seems to me that so far Baby Turner is the second coming of Jay Gruden. We don’t run the ball despite Gibson averaging 4.5 ypc, it’s ridiculous. I’d like to see more of a balanced offense. Well, I guess to some extent the short passing game is an extension of the running game and our short passing game is working well and all of our receivers seem to be getting good yac except for Logan Thomas.

I don’t know, I see progress but those who came into the season already wanting Haskins to fail and wanting to draft Lawrence before the season even began like those hyping up Herbert won’t even acknowledge the progress Haskins is making and how he did it vs one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Its just ground hog day. People always find a way to crap on a Washington QB no matter who it is, even after a pretty good game for them and one where they set career highs in yards and completion %.

Now, of our D did it’s job, maybe we actually win yesterday’s game. The TD run the gave up vs Lamar was inexcusable from about 5 players on that player starting with Ryan Anderson totally overrunning the play in the backfield, Jon Bostic was out of positon, KPL missed a tackle, Landon Collins missed a tackle and somehow our FS Apke was trailing the play instead of being a last line of defense to bring down Lamar after a 10 to 20 yard gain after those infront of him didn’t their jobs.

Then, the two TDs that Andrews had, once again Apke didn’t get over to cover Andrews and make a play on the ball. His recognition is awful, he’s slow to react to the routes. In college at Penn State he could rely on his speed to make up for how often he was beat or how bad/slow his reaction time was to receivers that were coming open around him, but he’s just not good at it and it’s costing us as defenses are totally taking advantage of how bad our safety play is in coverage - Collins included - on every play.

I know it won’t happen now, but this is why I wanted Collins moved to OLB and for us to sign a better coverage SS. At this point, I’d totally be for Collins being moved to WLB, Fuller moved to FS, Moreau or Moreland starting opposite Darby and Curl or Everett starting at SS.

They won’t do that, but they should to improve our pass coverage.

A week ago vs the Browns, I put that loss more on Haskins bc we would have won w/o his turnovers on our side of the field. We gifted the Browns 3 short fields which they scored on - and the D didn’t do it’s job in holding them to FGs - and that was the game.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I agree with the announcer - Sometimes the QB must break the pocket and put pressure on the DBs . They might commit a holding penalty or it might give more time to your guys to get open. Make a PLAY !

I got no problem with the fact that Haskins 100% failed on that 4th down play. (Obviously I mean that he deserves blame for throwing the ball significantly short of the goal line and not that I'm ok with his throw) What I don't like is the narrative that is being painted that Haskins was the only one without situational awareness. Scott Turner should know that ALL of his routes need to be in the endzone. With the only exception being a specific play call for a specific player to get open for the score. That clearly was not the case from what I watched and all the blame should not be solely on DH's shoulders. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I will look for it on Twitter, I’m sure someone has posted the All-22 film on it  by now on Twitter. I’m with you 100% on this, my feeling is coaching is partly to blame on that & playcall/routes run on the play. 

On top of that, just going for it on 4th down at that point and not kicking the FG was a poor coaching decision to begin with.

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I got no problem with the fact that Haskins 100% failed on that 4th down play. (Obviously I mean that he deserves blame for throwing the ball significantly short of the goal line and not that I'm ok with his throw) What I don't like is the narrative that is being painted that Haskins was the only one without situational awareness. Scott Turner should know that ALL of his routes need to be in the endzone. With the only exception being a specific play call for a specific player to get open for the score. That clearly was not the case from what I watched and all the blame should not be solely on DH's shoulders. 

Not sure I agree all routes have to be run into the end zone. Whatever route Wright ran - seemed to draw TWO DBs in coverage !

Still - If it's not there - Haskins has to make a play - MOVE, make something happen . Maybe next time .

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Not sure I agree all routes have to be run into the end zone. Whatever route Wright ran - seemed to draw TWO DBs in coverage !

Still - If it's not there - Haskins has to make a play - MOVE, make something happen . Maybe next time .

Yeah it’s definitely true he should’ve thrown it into the endzone at around it regardless. It’s 4th down, you have to give your receivers a chance to make a play there and score. 

And @Slappy Mc has acknowledged that. He just wants to see how the play developed on the All-22 and we all should want to see that tbh no matter if it’s good or bad.

8 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) both of those DBs were backed up to the goal line and charged to make the tackle after the ball was thrown. 

I would pose these questions to not having every route in the end zone.

What purpose does a route have if its run short of the goal line? (Specifically speaking on 4th and goal to go scenario)

What was the expected result if the ball went to the receivers running short of the goal line?

To me, the use of dummy routes or having any of my receivers be unintended receivers is a failure of a play call in this scenario. 

Again, I am not defending Dwaynes decision, but also trying to condemn the coaches for bad situational awareness as well.

Edited by Slappy Mc