Lazard has surgery

beardown3231

Shepherd has his QB and WR1 in his corner, they see a lot we don’t see in practice. I noted one good block he threw bunched up in trips in NO. I also noted his total meltdown against Detroit last year.  About as bad as you could possibly be without injuring someone with your incompetence.  Apparently he’s super dialed in on the playbook. Can his mind and body be that sharp when he’s In a game? I would love it to be so. 

Either way, heal up fast, Allen!

Going back to possibly the deepest draft in the modern day era at the receiver position and we grabbed zero was unfathomable then as it is now. It bugged me then and now it really bugs me. Nothing I've seen from MVS has me thinking he's going to be a guy that can step up and grab 7,8, 9 catches for you in a big game and replace Lazard. Moving forward.....Is there going to be receivers like there were last year at the trade deadline that anybody can think of? 

Do you guys not get tired of saying the same thing over and over again? From our initial Top 5 WR (Adams, Funchess, Lazard, MVS, ESB) only one might play this monday. It took 4 players from the same room for us to get nervous about our receiving corps. Yes, we did not draft a ******* WR, but we also didn't draft OT, CB and IDL. Not drafting in any of those 3 positions is much much worse than not drafting one WR. We only lost Kenny Clark and our DL might be the worst in the league. If we lose Bakhtiari we are ****ed. If we lose any of King/Alexander we are also probably ****ed. Even is we loose Chandon freaking Sullivan we'd be livid at the possibility of having Josh "granite hips" Jackson start at the slot position. We have played without Davante 5 games with LaFleur and we are 5-0. WR it's not a premium position, and not drafting a WR high is more of a problem when looking at the 2022 season, not at this year.

We'll probably stretch the field with MVS, use Shepperd/Taylor a few snaps, play a **** ton of 21,12,13,22 personnel and kick Jones and Ervin wide. It's not the end of the world.

Edited by VonKarman
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Do you guys not get tired of saying the same thing over and over again? From our initial Top 5 WR (Adams, Funchess, Lazard, MVS, ESB) only one might play this monday. It took 4 players from the same room for us to get nervous about our receiving corps. Yes, we did not draft a ******* WR, but we also didn't draft OT, CB and IDL. Not drafting in any of those 3 positions is much much worse than not drafting one WR. We only lost Kenny Clark and our DL might be the worst in the league. If we loose Bakhtiari we are ****ed. If we lose any of King/Alexander we are also probably ****ed. Even is we loose Chandon freaking Sullivan we'd be livid at the possibility of having Josh "granite hips" Jackson start at the slot position. We have played without Davante 5 games with LaFleur and we are 5-0. WR it's not a premium position, and not drafting a WR high is more of a problem when looking at the 2022 season, not at this year.

We'll probably stretch the field with MVS, use Shepperd/Taylor a few snaps, play a **** ton of 21,12,13,22 personnel and kick Jones and Ervin wide. It's not the end of the world.

I mean that is literally every team in the league. There are no teams that can lose there best players at positions and have that position still be a strength. There is hardly enough solid talent to make a group of starters for all teams. There is not a team in the league that is keeping sufficient back ups at every position. Just the way it is in the NFL. 

• Like 2

This is huge. Allen was our most consistent wr after Adams. We're going to miss his blocking big time. Seen a video where he put a block on Cam Jordan like a Guard would. Lazard had Cam going backwards. Lazard is the best blocking receiver i've seen since Ed McCaffrey of the Broncos. On the bright side we now have TE's. They should take pressure off the receiving core. MVS,  this is his time. He is the number 2. No more excuses, time for him to produce on a more consistent basis. Teams are going to take Adams away so he better be ready when is number is called.

Edited by St Vince

16 minutes ago, St Vince said:

This is huge. Allen was our most consistent wr after Adams. We're going to miss his blocking big time. Seen a video where he put a block on Cam Jordan like he was a Guard. Lazard had Cam was going backwards. Lazard is the best blocking receiver i've seen since Ed McCaffrey of the Broncos. On the bright side we now have TE's. They should take pressure off the receiving core. MVS,  this his time. He is the number 2. No more excuses, time for him to produce on a more consistent basis. Teams are going to take Adams away so he better be ready when is number is called.

I'm with you but hopefully Stern & Tonyan can replace some of his possession targets. 

3 hours ago, Skippy said:

Going back to possibly the deepest draft in the modern day era at the receiver position and we grabbed zero was unfathomable then as it is now. It bugged me then and now it really bugs me. Nothing I've seen from MVS has me thinking he's going to be a guy that can step up and grab 7,8, 9 catches for you in a big game and replace Lazard. Moving forward.....Is there going to be receivers like there were last year at the trade deadline that anybody can think of? 

Keeping in mind we traded up to take Love,

Tee Higgins - 8 receptions, 75 yards,  2 touchdowns.
Michael Pittman Jr - 9 receptions, 75 yards.
Laviska Shenault - 11 receptions, 105 yards, 1 TD.
MVS - 8 receptions, 165 yards, 1 TD.
Lazard - 13 receptions, 254 yards, 2 TD.

It only gets worse after that. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2020&year_max=2020&season_start=1&season_end=1&pos[]=wr&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2020&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c5val=1.0&order_by=rec

The only receivers this year that are looking truly pro ready and ready to take over games have been Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson.  Arguably, Jeudy is just being forced the ball.  He's had 28 targets, only 15 catches.  Granted, bad quarterbacks, but still.  That's kinda the reason I hate receivers.  What good is a great receiver if you've got a **** QB?

The fat is the Packers missed a receiver.  Nobody takes this into account when saying, "I don't know why they didn't take a receiver."

Well, who? 

Tee Higgins went 7 picks after we picked.  So 7 other teams didn't think he was worth taking there.
Michael Pittman went 8 picks after we picked.
Shenault went 16 picks after.

Then you look at the 2nd round. 

Could we have traded up for Denzel Mims?  Van Jefferson?  Sure, if a team wanted to trade up with us.  We've literally hinted that we tried to do just this.  Didn't work.

Even still, Mims has been injured, Van Jefferson has 5 catches.

There were 18 non-receivers drafted from the time we drafted Dillon to the time the next WR went off the board.

Meaning, there weren't any receivers worth taking 62nd overall.

You can't just say the Packers need to take a WR in a draft concept draft.  That's how this works.  You go into it with that mentality and you're ****ed. 

I'm so sick of hearing about how the Packers should have drafted a WR for the following reasons:

1. Injuries happen.  When Rodgers got hurt in 2017 and in 2013 y'all were saying the Packers should have drafted a better backup.  You're dumber than hell to blame the Packers for not knowing who was going to get injured.

2.  Lazard and MVS are right there with all the rookies in terms of yardage.  Their connection with Rodgers over two full seasons on the roster (or one with Lazard, can't remember) has them ahead of anywhere a rookie could possibly be with Rodgers.

3. The draft is a thing where other teams also want players.  We missed.  Simple as that.  We probably would have gone WR if Aiyuk was available in 1. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 3

And FFS, look at the teams who were drafting receivers early.  The Broncos didn't have a QB, so they tried to make their QB with receivers.

The Raiders once again reached with their first pick.  They were so desperate for a playmaker there that they wasted 12th overall.  Wirfs and Kinlaw went the next two picks and the Raiders will regret that.

The Cowboys drafted a receiver in the first round after they traded a first round pick for a receiver and signed him to a monster deal.  Now look at that Cowboys team.  3RD worst defense in the NFL. 

The Vikings drafted Jefferson but have no defense anymore. 

When has drafting a receiver in the first round ever put a team over the top?

Second round, yeah, it sucks none were in the right range.  A second or third round rookie would be nice right now, but let's not act like MVS and Lazard didn't both have that 2nd/3rd round potential.  They both did.  They both do.  We just happened to get two 2nd/3rd round potential receivers with a 5th round total investment. 

• Like 1

I think what we are about to see is just how MLF offense actually works. We got a bit of it last week with Lazard getting open, and the TEs being open. I think the main thing we miss might be the blocking Lazard provides as a WR. The Falcons D is atrocious and they have a ton of injuries up front. I think we see a lot of runs or short passes in lew of runs; followed by a few shots here and there. Pretty much what we saw last week. If Adams is a go I think we are fine. I would like to see ESB in this offense; I am not sure what his status is but this offense seems perfect for him.

• Like 1

Honestly, we’ll be fine, even if Adams sits another week.

MVS/Shepp and then Jones/Ervin and then the tight ends.

Rodgers throws 300 yards and 3 TDs and we win comfortably heading into the bye.

After the bye Adams comes back, Lazard is AT BEST 4 weeks away and Shepp gets more reps. We will be fine. 

3 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Do you guys not get tired of saying the same thing over and over again? From our initial Top 5 WR (Adams, Funchess, Lazard, MVS, ESB) only one might play this monday. It took 4 players from the same room for us to get nervous about our receiving corps. Yes, we did not draft a ******* WR, but we also didn't draft OT, CB and IDL. Not drafting in any of those 3 positions is much much worse than not drafting one WR. We only lost Kenny Clark and our DL might be the worst in the league. If we loose Bakhtiari we are ****ed. If we lose any of King/Alexander we are also probably ****ed. Even is we loose Chandon freaking Sullivan we'd be livid at the possibility of having Josh "granite hips" Jackson start at the slot position. We have played without Davante 5 games with LaFleur and we are 5-0. WR it's not a premium position, and not drafting a WR high is more of a problem when looking at the 2022 season, not at this year.

I agree, mostly.  Nobody can lose an All-Pro LT and just replace him. We are already the 5th highest spender at OL, not much more we could realistically add to that group.  We have started a different RT each week, and been fine.  And we may have had the best group of guards that I have ever seen.  Our "need" was for a back-up LT.  Nitpicky, I know.  I too wanted "LT X" over Stepaniak, but we will be fine should we need to play Nijman.  We had a 15-1 team that started Marshall Newhouse.

The WR group will be good enough as soon as Davante is back to full health.  

55 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And FFS, look at the teams who were drafting receivers early.  The Broncos didn't have a QB, so they tried to make their QB with receivers.

Capture.jpg?impolicy=abp_images&imwidth=

3 hours ago, VonKarman said:

We also forget we didn't know we were going to be without Funchess until 3 MONTHS after the draft. Our fans  just see our team in a bubble, every other team would be in a pickle too if they were potentially down their top 2 WRs 3 weeks into the season. That top 5 group going into the season was a pretty good group I bet many teams would clamor for in the league. Just having Tae himself is enough for another team to want. We just had sh***y injury luck and Funchess opting out with the position this year so far.  

A good thing is this offense is taylored to tight condensed formations with mainly 2-3 WR sets, and a lot more TE/RB usage. Tonyan is turning into a good target for Rodgers, and they're gonna keep hooking up as the year progresses. and even Sternberger finally cured his droppsies after the first few weeks, so maybe he will start to show up more as well. And you can't forget our trio of Receiving backs Jones/Williams/Ervin. Lafleur still has pieces to work with, and has shown he can work with less.

• Like 3