The NFL may not have a choice but to adopt college OT rules in 2023

pf9

1 hour ago, HolmesPriest said:

The media ain't giving up football LOL. The media loves them for their so called "Wokeness". 🥴

You say that like its a bad thing. Woke isn't a bad word, just like social justice isn't. Not saying you said it was. I look at the opposites of those and see "slept" and "social injustice".... now those seem bad.

I digress. OT does need to change. But like 1 poster stated, we have what; 1 tie every 3 years? Not really a big issue right now.

Edited by Bearerofnews

On 10/2/2020 at 8:34 AM, MikeT14 said:

Probably irrelevant, but if they went to college rules, I wouldn't want the stats to count towards the players.

I have two major issues with college football OT - first is that allowing the offense to start in FG range, to me, is acting like defense isn't a part of the game. I'd be more okay if the NFL kept things the same but had drives start at the 50 yard line (so instead of punting, a team would go for it). That's still gimmicky to me.

The stats absolutely could not count and that's a HUGE part of why this will never happen unless they didn't. How many players have statistical bonuses? From another perspective, NFL records would be shattered. If Seattle and Kansas City placed right now, the OT could conceivably go 10 rounds (even with having to go for 2) before it ended. Mahomes and Wilson could each toss 13 TDs in the game.

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Better yet make a defensive lineman do it 

Yes I'm sure having kickers decide a game would bother people, but it's the only solution that accomplishes three things:

Keeps the integrity of offensive and defensive stats

Doesn't jeopardize player safety by adding time to the game

Eliminates ties

What if--

Kicker gets to kick 3 field goals with no rush from any distance they choose. Say the first kicker makes a 50 yarder, another 50  yarder, and a safer 40 yarder. Thats worth 140 "points"

Then the opposing kicker kicks. He needs to beat out the other kicker by hitting all three of his field goals and needs the total yardage to be more than his opponent by 5 total yards. So he kicks a 55 yarder, then a 50 yarder, and for the third kick he tries a 40 yarder to get 145 "points" but it sails wide left. Other team wins.

Another scenario is the first kicker misses a 50 yarder, misses another 50 yarder, so in a desperate attempt tries to kick a 60 yarder. Makes it. He only has 60 total "points" though. Opposing kicker has it easy. He kicks  a 20 yarder, then another 20 yarder, then to win the game kicks a 25 yarder. 20+20+25= 65 total "points". 

Guess I don’t understand why the networks would care. Ties are very rare, and at least make for a close game beginning to end.  I mean, no one is going to stop watching because they’ve seen the future and it’s a tie.  Some may be disappointed after the game is over, but it’s too late to stop watching.  

If the networks have that kind of power they should force rule changes that prevent blowouts that people stop watching after the half.  

On 10/1/2020 at 6:58 PM, pf9 said:

The NFL is the last big 4 sports league that allows regular season games to end in ties.

But because the NFL has broadcast contracts with all the major corporations that control the Big 4 TV networks as well as a majority of the major cable networks, this could change.

From 1989-2011, only 4 games ended in ties.

Since 2012, with rule changes eliminating the ability of team with the first possession of OT to win with a field goal, as well as shortening regular season OT to 10 minutes, there have been 9 ties, 1 virtually happening every year.

The lowest point of the current OT rules came when a Sunday Night Football game between Seattle and Arizona ended in a tie in 2016. It was the first tie nationally televised by a broadcast network since 1983.

Network executives have long disapproved of ties, but NBC, as the Game of the Week broadcaster was most visibly upset.

Thus, the major media conglomerates with which the NFL does business could sever ties with the NFL after 2022 if college overtime rules aren't instituted. They know that if they leave the NFL behind, the league will face an uphill battle in trying to secure TV coverage. The CW would be out as an NFL broadcaster because it is partially owned by CBS.

the networks aren't gonna give up on their best money maker programming because 1 out of 250 games might end in a tie.

I think a primetime game with both teams well above .500 entering the game that goes into 8 OTs (with the game ending in the 8th OT) using the current college rules (where 5 OT and later is a 2-point conversion shootout) would be very epic, and it would go down as one of the greatest NFL games in history, earning a place in league lore.

The NFL has a huge chance to make these epics happen, if they adopt college OT rules next season.

On 10/1/2020 at 8:58 PM, pf9 said:

Since 2012, with rule changes eliminating the ability of team with the first possession of OT to win with a field goal, as well as shortening regular season OT to 10 minutes, there have been 9 ties, 1 virtually happening every year.

Change the time back to 15 mins.

easy fix.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I think a primetime game with both teams well above .500 entering the game that goes into 8 OTs (with the game ending in the 8th OT) using the current college rules (where 5 OT and later is a 2-point conversion shootout) would be very epic, and it would go down as one of the greatest NFL games in history, earning a place in league lore.

The NFL has a huge chance to make these epics happen, if they adopt college OT rules next season.

seeing a 10 TD game in the NFL feels like some Madden stuff