Should all future relocated teams (not just in NFL) change their names upon moving?

pf9

9 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

They shouldn't be forced, but the majority of the time, I like it more when they do.   Browns to Ravens would be another example, for the NFL.  Pelicans from Hornets for NBA.  Dallas Texans to KC Chiefs. Those aren't the only non NHL examples.  There are a lot of examples you didn't use.  

The Dallas Texans should have been the KC Texans.  It goes well with the NFL's sense of geography (Dallas in the NFCE, Baltimore in the AFCN,Miami not in the AFCS etc).  

And please resist the urge to inform me about traditional rivals.  It's a joke

• Like 1

No way. When the team name is changed, they typically become the equivalent of an expansion team. Once the Browns came back, the Ravens lost that history. 

That's important to me because for most teams, their fans outside of their home state probably outnumber their fans in their home state. Plus, teams play away from home for half their games. I don't care where the Rams play, but I'd care if they weren't the Rams anymore.

16 hours ago, raidersedge said:

That's a no for me. I'm a Raiders fan not a fan of a city. If they were the Las Vegas Outlaws, I wouldn't even follow them and I'd be done with the NFL.

What if they stayed in Oakland, but changed the name. Like what the Redskins are having to do? Oakland Outlaws. You'd be done? 

4 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

No way. When the team name is changed, they typically become the equivalent of an expansion team. Once the Browns came back, the Ravens lost that history. 

That's important to me because for most teams, their fans outside of their home state probably outnumber their fans in their home state. Plus, teams play away from home for half their games. I don't care where the Rams play, but I'd care if they weren't the Rams anymore.

Well the Titans still have the Oilers history. Washington Football Team will still have the Redskins history. Would suck to lose the history of the team with a name change, but I think that the Ravens/Browns example is the only one in the NFL. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 9:07 PM, INbengalfan said:

The Dallas Texans should have been the KC Texans.  It goes well with the NFL's sense of geography (Dallas in the NFCE, Baltimore in the AFCN,Miami not in the AFCS etc).  

Ok?

On 10/2/2020 at 6:07 PM, INbengalfan said:

Weren't the Dallas Texans the team that became the Colts?

Changing names is definitely best practice, especially when the name refers at all to the area.

Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis Colts isn’t as bad as Minnesota Lakers becoming the LA Lakers or any of the other relocated team jokes from Baseketball.