Should all future relocated teams (not just in NFL) change their names upon moving?

pf9

On 10/4/2020 at 11:26 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Well the Titans still have the Oilers history. Washington Football Team will still have the Redskins history. Would suck to lose the history of the team with a name change, but I think that the Ravens/Browns example is the only one in the NFL. 

Indianapolis should have changed names.  The fans are forever trying to claim a SB win from their Baltimore days but a SB 5 trophy sits in Baltimore.  ( Yes. i know it is a duplicate.  There are at least 2 SB 5 trophies )

Its weird that the original trophy resides in St Louis. It’s also odd that you will find no banners of the 1958,59, 68 NFL Championships or Super Bowl 5 in either Baltimore or Indy. 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 11:41 PM, Warhorse said:

Weren't the Dallas Texans the team that became the Colts?

The players did.  I thought the ownership bought rights and started the team in Baltimore.   Either way, the name changed, and the new name came from getting land from smith and Wesson to build the stadium on, from what I recall.

On 10/2/2020 at 8:07 PM, INbengalfan said:

The Dallas Texans should have been the KC Texans.  It goes well with the NFL's sense of geography (Dallas in the NFCE, Baltimore in the AFCN,Miami not in the AFCS etc).  

And please resist the urge to inform me about traditional rivals.  It's a joke

I agree, that means it is time to put Miami in the AFC North, and Seattle in the NFC South. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 7:13 PM, raidersedge said:

That's a no for me. I'm a Raiders fan not a fan of a city. If they were the Las Vegas Outlaws, I wouldn't even follow them and I'd be done with the NFL.

Well, "Outlaws" would still fit the embodiment of rebellion that the "Raiders" name had come to symbolize.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, Daniel said:

Changing names is definitely best practice, especially when the name refers at all to the area.

Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis Colts isn’t as bad as Minnesota Lakers becoming the LA Lakers or any of the other relocated team jokes from Baseketball.

The Colts name originally reflected Baltimore's status as a hotbed for horse racing; the Preakness Stakes are held there every year.

Indianapolis is a hotbed for a different type of racing, auto racing, as the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is there, and it hosts the Indianapolis 500 (the biggest auto race of them all) and the Brickyard 400.

On the other hand, Indianapolis is in close proximity to Louisville, which is another horse racing hotbed, with the Kentucky Derby held there every year.