Week 4 GDT: Saints (1-2) at Lions (1-2)

Karnage84

12 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I’d rather get patty out now and get someone to develop the young guys we have. 12 more games of this benefits no one. 

Is an interim coach going to be any more motivated to develop young guys? If I was an interim coach I'd be trying to make my case for a future HC job not developing the guys for the franchise I'm likely to get fired by. 

12 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

well, fair enough, i'm just saying that there is some point in firing them now. also points to be made for waiting a little longer. no argument to be made for keeping them into the future

I think they already sent the message they were ok with failure when they didn't fire them last off season. 

54 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

when he consistently wont blitz the QB can't stop **** or any 3r down as well looks lost the entire game I'd rather have the special teams coach coach the rest of the season. Period and consistently BLOWS LEADS WITH HIS TRASH *** Defense!

I agree, but what do we gain by firing him mid season?

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

I think they already sent the message they were ok with failure when they didn't fire them last off season. 

Preaching to the choir brother. Believe me, I'm not howling for them to be fired right now. But I wouldn't complain.

Besides, we know Rod Wood ain't getting fired and the basic nature of the Ford Family Detroit Lions Organization isn't changing, so what's the difference.

The Lions were gifted two phantom PI calls. Without those both drives were stalled. Not depleted enough the Saints lost numerous players in the game most notably RT Ryan Ramcyk. The Lions had no answer for the run until his injury. Of course they continue to lack answers on the field reserving answers for the podium. 

Stafford was way off today. He made bad decisions that would’ve been okay with better ball placement. He over threw the ball numerous times. Even with all that the offence wasn’t nearly the problem the defence was. Our two second round running backs didn’t provide much. Without All Day there wouldn’t be a running game. Could some one please find the oline. Clearly MIA.

With all Patricias talk and Quinn’s action getting the right guys I would like to see their assessment criteria because these guys fold like a cheap tent at the first sign of adversity. Their right guys just don’t get the job done.

As for firing them, Why not? They aren’t developing young talent. They aren’t achieving success. It really becomes about limiting damage which I suspect it’s already to late. This is a bad football team.What possible negative could warrant keeping them?

Look through the roster and ask yourself which guys stay? It’s a pretty short list. There isn’t much talent on the Lions. One would assume at this point the Lions will have to be totally rebuilt because it’s not likely a new coach can accomplish much with Patricias guys. It’s his system, his players and his lack of success. 

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

I would look at it this way. Quinn and Patricia have shown they can’t get it done. Their idea of culture and their players is a failure. I personally want their culture gone!

A decision has to be made. If the Ford in charge deems it’s time for a change I don’t see any positive in keeping them. It simply gives them more opportunity to do damage. 

It won’t happen. The Lions will stumble through the season probably winning a few more games. 4 or more wins shows improvement and given the acceptance of losing, the Ford in charge will be very happy. 

6 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

They aren’t achieving success. It really becomes about limiting damage which I suspect it’s already to late. This is a bad football team. What possible negative could warrant keeping them?

Hey dhlf! Respectfully, and for the sake of conversation: we're one Swift catch from entering the bye week with a 2-2 record. Had Swift caught that ball, would you feel the same way? (And I'm not saying that I'm pleased with the way the game went, or the season so far. Just wondering how that record would change your perspective of things.)

15 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Hey dhlf! Respectfully, and for the sake of conversation: we're one Swift catch from entering the bye week with a 2-2 record. Had Swift caught that ball, would you feel the same way? (And I'm not saying that I'm pleased with the way the game went, or the season so far. Just wondering how that record would change your perspective of things.)

Fair question. It wouldn’t change my mind. The record is one thing but the team just doesn't perform. I certainly don’t have all the answers but this is a bad, bad football team. In every football game there’s adversity and this team just doesn’t perform. What’s most frustrating is the mistakes being made by their guys they brought in. We hear about culture change but if they’ve had any effect on culture it certainly doesn’t seem to have translated to the field. So many football games are impacted by a few important plays. Good teams find ways to regroup but the lions don’t. 

The only way today’s scenario could’ve been more favourable to the Lions is if Brees was hurt  yet they lost, badly.

2 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Fair question. It wouldn’t change my mind. The record is one thing but the team just doesn't perform. I certainly don’t have all the answers but this is a bad, bad football team. In every football game there’s adversity and this team just doesn’t perform. What’s most frustrating is the mistakes being made by their guys they brought in. We hear about culture change but if they’ve had any effect on culture it certainly doesn’t seem to have translated to the field. So many football games are impacted by a few important plays. Good teams find ways to regroup but the lions don’t. 

The only way today’s scenario could’ve been more favourable to the Lions is if Brees was hurt  yet they lost, badly.

Interesting. I can't say I disagree with any of that.

From a "bottom line" perspective: what record does this team have to achieve at the end of the season for you to think Patricia should be kept around?

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

We, as fans, gain nothing. But if I’m Quinn, I’m going to try to make a case players aren’t the issue, the coach was. Then pray the interim will take off. Might be the only way Quinn can save his job.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Interesting. I can't say I disagree with any of that.

From a "bottom line" perspective: what record does this team have to achieve at the end of the season for you to think Patricia should be kept around?

I’ve never really thought of it in terms of wins and losses. Playoffs and a first round win would be minimum. Now..........if they achieved that I would look at the way they achieved it. I would do the same if they just missed. It’s possible to turn the program around without instant results. If the finish the season as an effective football team. 8-8 I would look at a bunch of things,

Most important have they established a team identity?

Have they become a team that is difficult to play against?

Have draft picks shown meaningful development? (coaching, mentor ship)

How have backups performed when starting.

What are the players evaluation of the coach? This is important and not meant for a whine  session, it’s to find out the areas players feel supported and where they feel vulnerable. Is the coach supportive of ideas? If he doesn’t accept the idea is his rationale explained or is he simply dismissive. Is he cordial and liked by support staff. 

Honestly, at times it looks like Patricia has lost the team.

The other thing that I don’t think has been mentioned is ex Patriot players lack of discipline. Amendola today, Collins week one although that probably was less of discipline issue and more of an I.Q. issue.

I don’t think either Quinn or Patricia will be fired now, or at the end of the season. They didn’t have sufficient training camp, injuries and whatever else comes up. I just have no faith in the ownership, management, coaches or most of the players. 

• Like 2