QB Nick Fitzerald, Mississippi State

IDOG_det

Nick Fitzgerald is one of the most intriguing prospects in this upcoming draft class. If he declares early as a rJR he'll be 22 when draft day comes around, he has great size for the position at ~6'5" and ~230lbs, and the only other QB who comes close to his athleticism is Lamar Jackson. He runs over defenders and runs past them too. Fitzgerald has an absolute cannon with the ability to throw the ball far down the field and to also throw the ball at a high velocity at a flatter angle. He is still in the earlier stages of his development as a passer, but his first full season as a quarterback was very impressive, especially when considering the terrible group of players surrounding. Fitzgerald is the only thing allowing that Mississippi State team to win more than just a handful of games. If he progresses as he is expected to this year, he could vault himself to the top part of the draft. He is already asked to process much more at the college level than most quarterbacks, he could become great if he cleans up his footwork/throwing motion and if he becomes more efficient within the passing system at Mississippi State.

What are your thoughts on Nick Fitzgerald?

Completed 54.3% of his passes at a 6.71 ypa...

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

Do you realize how badly you have to suck to be that bad at passing at the college level in this day and age?

He's like a bigger Trevor Knight. If he wasn't 6'5 and fast no one would even be talking about him.

23 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Completed 54.3% of his passes at a 6.71 ypa...

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

Do you realize how badly you have to suck to be that bad at passing at the college level in this day and age?

He's like a bigger Trevor Knight. If he wasn't 6'5 and fast no one would even be talking about him.

Dak's numbers as a first-year starter aren't that different. Being a first-year starter on a bad team and an unrefined passer tends to lead to that. The question is where Fitzgerald goes from here.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Dak's numbers as a first-year starter aren't that different. Being a first-year starter on a bad team and an unrefined passer tends to lead to that. The question is where Fitzgerald goes from here.

That's fair, but talking about him as a draftable QB after the season he just had is asinine. The guy was putrid as a passer. Being 6'5 and fast doesn't make you NFL-caliber.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

That's fair, but talking about him as a draftable QB after the season he just had is asinine. The guy was putrid as a passer. Being 6'5 and fast doesn't make you NFL-caliber.

Being 6'5", fast, and having a strong arm does make you draftable (hell, Christian Hackenberg isn't even fast). The question is if he's worth drafting on Day 1 or 2. We'll see how he progresses from here.

10 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Did you actually watch him though? Or just relying on stats still?

Watched 4 full Miss. State games last year and bits and pieces of the Egg Bowl. Was never impressed with him as a passer. And even if all I had were stats, those stats paint a pretty clear picture. Those numbers, at the college level, are completely and entirely unacceptable. There's no "but his WRs dropped passes!!11". Those numbers are putrid. His running ability makes him passable as a college QB, but nothing about his passing ability makes me want him as an NFL QB. Could that improve? Sure. But it's got a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I, personally, like Josh Allen more. Think he's shown more as a passer than Fitzgerald has so far. Both are guys that are being slept on a bit though. Darnold is the hot name but I think, in the end, Allen goes #1 overall and part of that is because I think Darnold either 1) underwhelms or 2) goes back to school.

• 1 month later...

He's certainly got some interesting tools.  When i watch him though, i just see a guy you're going to be trying to develop and refine into basically Colin Kaepernick.  I'm not quite sure how to value that right now.  I'm not sure that's a franchise QB, and i have the same sort of concerns about how he fits as a developmental guy/backup...in that i think you'll be trying to build a system specifically around what he does, if he's going to translate success to the next level as he is right now.  Hard to do as a backup/development guy, unless your starter is already rocking a similarly-tailored system.

Archived