Studs flying under the radar

RaidersAreOne

Re: Thomas, I'd be patient.  The whole NYG OL unit replaced 3 starters, if not 4 (G-men fans I'm sure can clarify).   Add in a new scheme, and a roster that's got more holes - add in gamescript where the O is put in a ton of must-pass situations where D's know to tee off on them. 

Meanwhile, TAM's a very complete team, and they have a QB that knows when to get rid of the ball.   CLE has a unit that's already a top 5-10 unit before they upgraded T.    NYJ is the one case where Becton gets all the credit - because he's an oasis in a desert of despair. 

And let's face it - evaluating rookies after 4 weeks of play, especially without any preseason, is incredibly premature.      Obviously because he went 1st T overall, there's more scrutiny, but the usual lessons about patience Year 1 apply, even to top 5 draftees.

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Thomas, I'd be patient.  The whole NYG OL unit replaced 3 starters, if not 4 (G-men fans I'm sure can clarify).   Add in a new scheme, and a roster that's got more holes - add in gamescript where the O is put in a ton of must-pass situations where D's know to tee off on them. 

Meanwhile, TAM's a very complete team, and they have a QB that knows when to get rid of the ball.   CLE has a unit that's already a top 5-10 unit before they upgraded T.    NYJ is the one case where Becton gets all the credit - because he's an oasis in a desert of despair. 

And let's face it - evaluating rookies after 4 weeks of play, especially without any preseason, is incredibly premature.      Obviously because he went 1st T overall, there's more scrutiny, but the usual lessons about patience Year 1 apply, even to top 5 draftees.

Thomas has been our best OL through 4 weeks so far. That's not saying anything, but no Giants fan is disappointed in him. He's played well so far. Up and down in spots for sure, but not bad.

EDIT: I can also clarify we replaced 3 starters from last year- LT, C, and RT. Thomas took over LT from Solder who opted out, Gates took over C from Jon Halapio, and Cam Fleming took over RT from Mike Remmers. Matt Peart played a bit yesterday in place of Fleming at RT and looked good. He'll be starting by the end of the year. LG and RG remain the same as last year- Hernandez and Zeitler. Both have been disappointing this year. Hernandez has somehow steadily gotten worse since his rookie year.

Edited by minutemancl

22 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Thomas has been our best OL through 4 weeks so far. That's not saying anything, but no Giants fan is disappointed in him. He's played well so far. Up and down in spots for sure, but not bad.

EDIT: I can also clarify we replaced 3 starters from last year- LT, C, and RT. Thomas took over LT from Solder who opted out, Gates took over C from Jon Halapio, and Cam Fleming took over RT from Mike Remmers. Matt Peart played a bit yesterday in place of Fleming at RT and looked good. He'll be starting by the end of the year. LG and RG remain the same as last year- Hernandez and Zeitler. Both have been disappointing this year. Hernandez has somehow steadily gotten worse since his rookie year.

Outside of the penalties, Zeitler played pretty well yesterday. I was shocked at Thomas getting whooped as badly as he did on some plays in the first half. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

Outside of the penalties, Zeitler played pretty well yesterday. I was shocked at Thomas getting whooped as badly as he did on some plays in the first half. 

Thomas has a tendency to overset. He opens himself up way too much. I think he started doing it to prepare for Watt and Dupree week 1, but it's carried over and DL are taking advantage. It's definitely a bad habit he needs to break.

Yesterday was easily Zeitler's best game of the season. Against the Steelers in week 1, he was god awful. He actually bounced back well in week 2 I think as well. Week 1 just left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

It’s wild how under utilized Gus Edwards is. All he does is produce, but can never seem to be fed enough touches to make noise for himself.

I'd love for a team to take a flyer on him next year for a late round draft pick because he can certainly start in the NFL for some teams. Maybe the Jets, Dolphins, Jags. etc. Big fan of Gus Edwards. Justice Hill can play too.

I'm not sure how under the radar they are flying, but the Giants big defensive FA additions are both playing incredibly well. Blake Martinez is still the tackling machine he was at Green Bay, but he's been sideline to sideline, making almost all of his tackles right around the line of scrimmage. He also has 2 sacks and has been good in coverage. We haven't had a LB like him since Antonio Pierce.

Bradberry has been a top-3 corner so far this year. He has more passes defended than anyone in the NFL and absolutely shut down Allen Robinson in week 2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Darrell Henderson. I remember him coming out last year and scouts said he not only was the steal of the draft but the 2nd best back in that draft only behind Jacobs. Henderson now is PFF 2nd ranked back behind Mostert. If McVay just give him the damn ball the Rams will be lethal because literally Henderson is a big play waiting to happen with any touch. He doesn’t even need great blocks (same can be said about Akers another great pick and potential stud by the Rams) and so the fact the Rams OL is back to being strong again is scary for the league to try to stop Henderson from going off. The only person can stop Henderson imo is McVay. 

Also Whitworth. He is PFF top tackle which is amazing considering he is 100yrs old lol. Seriously Whitworth needs to be talked about it terms of age and level of play like people do Brady and Brees. I see no drop off from Whitworth and he is going up against the likes of Chase Young, Chandler Jones (last season), Nick Bosa (last season), Khalil Mack, and other elite pass rushers and Goff is barely getting touched if not getting touched at all. The one sack Whitworth did give up this season was because of Goff. Like that’s how great Whitworth is playing at his age. He signed a 2yr deal maybe he should’ve signed a 5yr deal because that’s how well he is playing but when people say the best tackles they tend to say everyone but Whitworth as the best. One of the best but nope Whitworth is the best. 

Edited by stl4life07

26 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

If McVay just give him the damn ball the Rams will be lethal because literally Henderson is a big play waiting to happen with any touch

Sean is the new Beli-tricks when it comes to the RB position.  Never know week to week which RB will be featured.