NFL Bubble?

NYRaider

Could it work?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would a bubble like format work in the NFL?

• Yes
    • No

Feel free to share your thoughts on my bubble idea as well as your own bubble ideas as well. 

Obviously it probably can't/won't happen this season but if covid-19 is still severe next year a bubble could potentially be implemented. 

My potential bubble idea:

• Eliminate non-conference games and shorten the season to 12 games. 

• Hold two separate bubbles, one for each conference like the NHL is doing in two separate areas. 

• I'd recommend Los Angeles and the Bay Area for the two bubbles. 

• Each bubble would have 4 different stadiums as there would be 6-8 games a week and they could do morning/evening games on full slate Sundays. 

Los Angeles sites: So-Fi, Rose Bowl, Memorial Coliseum, Stub Hub Center

Bay Area sites: Levi's Stadium, Oakland Coliseum, California Memorial Stadium, Stanford Stadium

How would they be able to practice? Even with the provision of multiple stadiums and practice fields, teams wouldn't be able to get the amount of practice they're accustomed to unless games were somehow on a staggered schedule throughout the week. And that would screw with tv contracts.

Also, given that a lot of teams have already played non-conference games, your idea to shrink the schedule would certainly mess with tiebreakers.

Edited by Starless

Honestly, this idea sounds like the only way the season will finish.  I wouldn't be shocked if the season ends without having a winner crowned.

You have to remember, when the NBA did their bubble, they didn't invite every team.  It was already so far into the season that they didn't invite teams that didn't have a chance to make the playoffs.  This really isn't an option for the NFL, so every team would have to be part of the bubble.

But yeah, in theory, this is the only way to ensure no positive COVID-19 test.  The problem with all the traveling, coming and going, being at home, with friends, etc is that these positive test were bound to happen.

The NBA deserves a standing ovation for actually pulling this thing off with 0 problems.

• Like 1

If the Chiefs/Patriots and Saints/Lions plays this week, that's proof that the NFL can handle it.

Too many players for a bubble and it would last too long. The NBA bubble started close to the playoffs so after each round, teams were out of the bubble. The NFL should consider a playoff bubble like MLB though

3 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

nba roster are 12-15 players

nfl are 65+ plus large medical team, coaches, equipment manager during gamr time a sideline can easily have 100+ people

You just compared an NFL team with an NBA roster. If you’re going to make this comparison at least account for the coaches, trainers, and medical staff also present within the NBA. You made this completely an apples to oranges comparison.

7 hours ago, Starless said:

How would they be able to practice? Even with the provision of multiple stadiums and practice fields, teams wouldn't be able to get the amount of practice they're accustomed to unless games were somehow on a staggered schedule throughout the week. And that would screw with tv contracts.

Also, given that a lot of teams have already played non-conference games, your idea to shrink the schedule would certainly mess with tiebreakers.

He mentioned this not happening this season but rather next season.

But the practicing and training facility aspect definitely poses an interesting dilemma that would need to be worked around. Also can’t have teams like the Patriots installing covert cameras inside a shared facility to gain a competitive advantage over the competition (in the event that facilities were shared as the solution.) 

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Feel free to share your thoughts on my bubble idea as well as your own bubble ideas as well. 

Obviously it probably can't/won't happen this season but if covid-19 is still severe next year a bubble could potentially be implemented. 

My potential bubble idea:

• Eliminate non-conference games and shorten the season to 12 games. 

• Hold two separate bubbles, one for each conference like the NHL is doing in two separate areas. 

• I'd recommend Los Angeles and the Bay Area for the two bubbles. 

• Each bubble would have 4 different stadiums as there would be 6-8 games a week and they could do morning/evening games on full slate Sundays. 

Los Angeles sites: So-Fi, Rose Bowl, Memorial Coliseum, Stub Hub Center

Bay Area sites: Levi's Stadium, Oakland Coliseum, California Memorial Stadium, Stanford Stadium

Two bubbles wouldn’t cut it IMO. With the NFL’s size there likely would need to be 4 bubble cities. Which breaks down perfectly in that the NFL has 4 regions (even if they’re not appropriately aligned).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, showtime said:

Honestly, this idea sounds like the only way the season will finish.  I wouldn't be shocked if the season ends without having a winner crowned.

You have to remember, when the NBA did their bubble, they didn't invite every team.  It was already so far into the season that they didn't invite teams that didn't have a chance to make the playoffs.  This really isn't an option for the NFL, so every team would have to be part of the bubble.

But yeah, in theory, this is the only way to ensure no positive COVID-19 test.  The problem with all the traveling, coming and going, being at home, with friends, etc is that these positive test were bound to happen.

The NBA deserves a standing ovation for actually pulling this thing off with 0 problems.

The NFL did have like 8 months to work this out, and just sat on their *** like idiots. The nonchalant attitude was very frustrating to see. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

You just compared an NFL team with an NBA roster. If you’re going to make this comparison at least account for the coaches, trainers, and medical staff also present within the NBA. You made this completely an apples to oranges comparison.

NFL teams have coaches trainers and medical staff - all of which are significantly bigger on NFL teams (I've never heard of a PF Coach or a PG Coach, but I know every team has an OL Coach and a QB Coach...)

Even if you account for ancillary staff, Football has a ton more patrolling the sideline than the NBA has courtside.

I've said it before, but putting the entire NFL in a bubble represents housing about 10,000 people - players, PS/Taxi players, coaches, medical staff, etc. This isn't factoring in ref crews, TV crews, etc. Then you have to find people to service this psuedo community (prepare food, housekeeping, maintenance, etc). And housing people is the EASY part, as you'd have to find a place where you can play multiple games within proximity of the housing areas. Disney Wide World of Sports had 10+ basketball courts in the facility to leverage to where players didn't have to get on a bus or leave too far - they got ready in their rooms and walked to the arena. Where can you find a place with that many Football fields to play? Not even Texas could do that, and Texas has Pro level stadiums at a High School level... You'd still have to bus guys around.

• Like 2