The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

Peyton Manning definitely wasn’t a bad outside QB. At all. Brady was better, yes. But Manning was a great outdoor QB. Your QB Rating will naturally be lower on the road (which was all his outdoor games on the Colts) but if you watched him play in Indy, he’s still as deadly as ever outside and the same Peyton Manning. And he went to an outdoor stadium and cold, in Denver, and dominated. 

Drew Brees on the other, is a different QB outdoors. He’s not terrible outdoors by any means, but he’s definitely not his usual elite self in an outdoor environment. Clear difference from the dome. 

But I do agree Brady is the best outside QB. But Manning was a damn good outside QB, unlike Brees.

Edited by BayRaider

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Peyton Manning definitely wasn’t a bad outside QB. At all. Brady was better, yes. But Manning was a great outdoor QB. Your QB Rating will naturally be lower on the road (which was all his outdoor games on the Colts) but if you watched him play in Indy, he’s still as deadly as ever outside and the same Peyton Manning. And he went to an outdoor stadium and cold, in Denver, and dominated. 

Drew Brees on the other, is a different QB outdoors. He’s not terrible outdoors by any means, but he’s definitely not his usual elite self in an outdoor environment. Clear difference from the dome. 

But I do agree Brady is the best outside QB. But Manning was a damn good outside QB, unlike Brees.

Same argument goes for Brees though.  All his outdoor games with the Saints are also road games.  And he was pretty bad his first several years with the Chargers, not venue related, but happened to be an outdoor stadium.  Had Brees gone to a stacked outdoor team like Manning with the Broncos, his outdoor rating would have improved.

Brady and Manning are both better than Brees regardless, I’m just point this out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Same argument goes for Brees though.  All his outdoor games with the Saints are also road games.  And he was pretty bad his first several years with the Chargers, not venue related, but happened to be an outdoor stadium.  Had Brees gone to a stacked outdoor team like Manning with the Broncos, his outdoor rating would have improved.

Brady and Manning are both better than Brees regardless, I’m just point this out.

I don’t agree. You watch Brady and Manning outdoors, even road games, and it’s night and day from Brees. Not saying Brees has never had a masterful outdoor game, but it’s much more rare. To be a dominant outside QB you need a great arm. Brees arm has never been elite. Not bad, but not elite. Manning and Brady have both had rocket arms at some point in their careers. 

18 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t agree. You watch Brady and Manning outdoors, even road games, and it’s night and day from Brees. Not saying Brees has never had a masterful outdoor game, but it’s much more rare. To be a dominant outside QB you need a great arm. Brees arm has never been elite. Not bad, but not elite. Manning and Brady have both had rocket arms at some point in their careers. 

Manning didn’t have a rocket arm with the Broncos, it was actually weaker than Brees arm.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Manning didn’t have a rocket arm with the Broncos, it was actually weaker than Brees arm.

The weekly screen to demaryius for a TD still pisses me off to this day. those pick plays were bogus and are why manning's '13 season is a joke.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

The weekly screen to demaryius for a TD still pisses me off to this day. those pick plays were bogus and are why manning's '13 season is a joke.

I don’t think it was a joke, Manning was still an elite QB, he just didn’t need elite arm strength to do it.  It was a great season, not the greatest ever, but a great season nonetheless.

14 hours ago, RUGmen said:

The narrative will shift quickly to..”Brady has a stacked team, obviously he is playing well”

Fact of the matter is..Bucs were a 7-9 team and a franchise who has failed to make the playoffs in over 10 years. Brady has changed the culture entirely.

100%

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Can we at least wait till like after thanksgiving before we make any sweeping generalisations either side? Good gosh. 

It's not as though we're talking about a guy who hasn't been around for 20 years. There's quite a bit of track record to go by here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Listen I am Brady over Manning all day..... but he changed his game in Denver to compensate for his neck injury. He adjusted and still put up numbers outside 

• Like 2

Brees has thrown for about 2090 yards in 6 outdoor playoff games. That weak arm stuff is lame.

He's not as good as Brady but its not because he is lacking in any physical or mental attributes. (at least before he turned 40 or so)

Its because no one is as good as Brady.

Brees >> Manning. Its not even close.

Manning has 28 TDs to 24 picks in 24 of his 27 playoff games combined (he had 12 to 1 vs Denver twice in the dome and vs the Red Carpet D)

He is 11-13 in those games on merit as a playoff mediocrity with a huge sample size.

40 to 25 overall. He almost always had the better team and superstar weapons.

Manning made great teams worse in the playoffs almost always.

Brees still has 25 TDs to 12 picks if you take away his best 3 playoff games.

Brees also earned his SB MVP, Manning was awarded it as the 5th best option.

34 to 12 overall

22 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Brees has thrown for about 2090 yards in 6 outdoor playoff games. That weak arm stuff is lame.

He's not as good as Brady but its not because he is lacking in any physical or mental attributes. (at least before he turned 40 or so)

Its because no one is as good as Brady.

Brees >> Manning. Its not even close.

Manning has 28 TDs to 24 picks in 24 of his 27 playoff games combined (he had 12 to 1 vs Denver twice in the dome and vs the Red Carpet D)

He is 11-13 in those games on merit as a playoff mediocrity with a huge sample size.

40 to 25 overall. He almost always had the better team and superstar weapons.

Manning made great teams worse in the playoffs almost always.

Brees still has 25 TDs to 12 picks if you take away his best 3 playoff games.

Brees also earned his SB MVP, Manning was awarded it as the 5th best option.

34 to 12 overall

How how did the defenses Brees faced compare to the ones Manning faced?

Manning had some rough games against very good Patriots, Ravens and Seahawks defenses during his career, which really put a dent in those numbers. 

Edited by Starless