The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

I don't get comparing Brady and Montana - they played in totally different leagues. You can't even breathe on QBs now, but when Joe played big hits were welcomed. Brutality sold seats. Defenses in 80s and early 90s had a free pass to basically murder anyone - QBs and WRs alike. There were also rule changes like to intentional grounding that have QBs the ability to make safer plays or changes to how DBs can play WRs that allowed them to have more space/resulted in more defensive penalties.

There's a reason 4000 yard passers are more prolific now.

• Like 1

I love when people tell others they are not allowed to compare players on the internet.

Its second only to wins are not a QB stat.

Its almost like the Giants did not beat the crap out of Brady twice in two Super Bowls.

The Ravens got to Brady and gave him 'smores and hot cocoa in those 4 playoff games.

The 2015 Broncos hitting Brady 20 freaking times was a real picnic.

Edited by SkippyX

4 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I don't get comparing Brady and Montana - they played in totally different leagues. You can't even breathe on QBs now, but when Joe played big hits were welcomed. Brutality sold seats. Defenses in 80s and early 90s had a free pass to basically murder anyone - QBs and WRs alike. There were also rule changes like to intentional grounding that have QBs the ability to make safer plays or changes to how DBs can play WRs that allowed them to have more space/resulted in more defensive penalties.

Watch the 2015 AFCCG in Denver. I struggle to think of another game which has as many QB hits as this one. TB ate dirt 24 times. A couple of them were really heavy blows as well. Miller, Ware and Wolf were teeing off on him all day. He still nearly won the game on a last minute drive - but he hung in there all day. That game made me think differently of Brady.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I love when people tell others they are not allowed to compare players on the internet.

Its second only to wins are not a QB stat.

Are you always this dramatic?

10 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I don't get comparing Brady and Montana - they played in totally different leagues.

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Watch the 2015 AFCCG in Denver. I struggle to think of another game which has as many QB hits as this one. TB ate dirt 24 times. A couple of them were really heavy blows as well. Miller, Ware and Wolf were teeing off on him all day. He still nearly won the game on a last minute drive - but he hung in there all day. That game made me think differently of Brady.

1 game out of the 200+ he's played isn't going to change my mind that football is now easier for QBs (and WRs) due to rule/safety changes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Both injury hits on Montana by the Giants (Marshall and Burt) are still legal plays in today's NFL.

Burt just got him during a throw while he was exposed and Marshall got him from behind while extending a play way too long.

This. Plus people like to hype up that era as being more physically taxing (it was), but Montana was just not a very durable QB in his era. Brady on the other hand was exceptionally durable (even in his era) and only had one major injury that caused him to miss games. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Pretty much every Giant on the 07 defense has went on record for how much they respected Brady after that Super Bowl. 

On 11/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, mtmmike said:

interesting thought just how many hof qbs has he beat in his tenure

Ben roethlisberger

Peyton manning beat him as much

eli beat him twice

In playoffs Brady has beat 

-Peyton Manning twice In two MVP years (most would say that was his career peak) 

-Ben Roethlisberger twice 

-Phillip Rivers three times 

-Luck twice 

-Flacco twice 

-Mahomes in his breakout year 

-Warner/Ryan/Wilson/McNab in Super Bowls 

Warner is a HOF’er, Manning will be in a year, Wilson is pretty much guaranteed a spot as long as his career doesn’t end in the next two years, Mahomes is pretty much on path unless his career takes a huge dip (A SB and an MVP pretty much locks you in even if your career is mediocre otherwise). Then Ryan is probably just on the outside looking in. 

Pretty much everyone I mentioned were top 10 QB’s of their era 

14 minutes ago, lancerman said:

In playoffs Brady has beat 

-Peyton Manning twice In two MVP years (most would say that was his career peak) 

-Ben Roethlisberger twice 

-Phillip Rivers three times 

-Luck twice 

-Flacco twice 

-Mahomes in his breakout year 

-Warner/Ryan/Wilson/McNab in Super Bowls 

Warner is a HOF’er, Manning will be in a year, Wilson is pretty much guaranteed a spot as long as his career doesn’t end in the next two years, Mahomes is pretty much on path unless his career takes a huge dip (A SB and an MVP pretty much locks you in even if your career is mediocre otherwise). Then Ryan is probably just on the outside looking in. 

Pretty much everyone I mentioned were top 10 QB’s of their era 

Breese has beat him 5 times

I also believe he has beat Aaron Rodgers but he will he will have to beat them all this year that is the point 

brady has won  super bowl but he has been beat badly by Breese and Eli.

I will say it again Brady will not make the super bowl this year.

3 hours ago, mtmmike said:

I also believe he has beat Aaron Rodgers but he will he will have to beat them all this year that is the point 

How is Brees against 7-9 playoff teams? 😀

3 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Yeah man. Brady's MMA matches against other QBs always end in disaster. Dunno why he keeps doing them. Good thing his main job is football. 

16 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I'm not going to debate Brady vs Montana or any player because that's all opinion. But talking about how different things are because players don't take hits is crazy. Players are so much better athletes today than they were in the 80s that there is no way to compare. Think about there are 350 pound lineman that are faster than Jerry Rice was. And how many 300 pound lineman were even in the NFL when Montana played. 

If today's athletes were allowed to play like Ronnie Lott there would be deathevery Sunday. A lot has changed since Montana won the Super Bowl last but don't think for one second that it is easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jofos said:

I'm not going to debate Brady vs Montana or any player because that's all opinion. But talking about how different things are because players don't take hits is crazy. Players are so much better athletes today than they were in the 80s that there is no way to compare. Think about there are 350 pound lineman that are faster than Jerry Rice was. And how many 300 pound lineman were even in the NFL when Montana played. 

If today's athletes were allowed to play like Ronnie Lott there would be deathevery Sunday. A lot has changed since Montana won the Super Bowl last but don't think for one second that it is easier.

The 80s and 90s aren't so long ago that humans are suddenly more athletic. The money in football was already there, so it wasn't like the hobbyists who propped up the league in 60s.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/passing.htm

Check out the passing stats before and after 93/94. Nearly all metrics have improved - and it's not because of better athletes suddenly flooded the NFL. It's because the NFL made rule changes with the intention to create high scoring games with more offensive production and it worked.

https://slate.com/culture/2014/09/1994-nfl-rules-how-a-series-of-pass-friendly-changes-saved-a-moribund-league-and-created-the-modern-nfl.html#:~:text=Scoring increased by 8 percent,and receiving records also fell.

7 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

The 80s and 90s aren't so long ago that humans are suddenly more athletic. The money in football was already there, so it wasn't like the hobbyists who propped up the league in 60s.

Nevertheless, the guys in the trenches, in particular, are both significantly bigger and more athletic than they were during that era. There were always physical freaks like Larry Allen and Reggie White, but nowadays guys who have similar measurables are less of an outlier and a lot closer to the average.

The average OL during Montana's era weighed 30 lbs less than the average OL of today, and that's out of necessity, because the average DL has gotten similarly bigger and more athletic.