The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

Brady was pretty much perfect tonight. Didn't have to do much, but did exactly what he needed to do when he needed to. Defense may have been the key to this run, but at the end of the day the only significant difference between the 8-8 team and the SB champs is Tom Brady (sorry Gronk, AB, Lenny, good pickups but not quite significant IMO...). I mean it is outrageous, I don't think Bucs fans have even thought about contending in YEARS, let alone actually winning it all, and from this 1 pickup their franchises entire trajectory changed.

Very few QBs can have that kind of impact at any point in their career. A lot of it is on the field, and of that aforementioned very few, most of their impact will be felt here... but some of it is certainly off field, that championship experience, culture changing leadership, however you want to describe it, that he clearly brought with him, and that's something only a handful of guys in NFL history bring to the table.

We can argue best peak or "talent" all day, but legacy? Brady is like 2 tiers above anyone else at this point, he's in MJ tier which you'd think was impossible for somebody in an 11 on 11 game... 7 SBs, 5 MVPs, 20 years of high level play. Incredible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

Brady haters in the off-season: He will get exposed as a system QB without Bill and the Bucs will go 8-8

Brady haters today: But stacked team!

You just have to accept that the people that are left aren't arguing based on facts and are just arguing because they don't want Brady to be the GOAT for whatever personal reasons (they stan for someone else or they are pissed about a loss that he inflicted pretty much somes up everyone on that side). 

Here's just reality. The debate between Jordan and either Kareem or Lebron is a closer discussion than the debate Brady and whoever the next best QB is. Even the guy who had the best chance to catch him (because at this rate Brady has done so much you can only match him with an insane start) has his two most prolific losses being against him

• Like 2

Just now, SBLIII said:

well, he had a 125+ passer rating tonight. That's not steady.

Yeah.. Brady was fantastic. He made some clutch throws and then put a dagger in at the end of the half. The reality was that by the middle of the third quarter Brady already did all he would need and the game was more about draining the clock. 

Last year, SF had KC down, and almost out - and they went away from their power run game, and relied on JimmyG to extend drives.  He couldn't.   KC earned the SB win, but if SF had a better QB performance that day, and not an elite one, just a decent one - SF could very well have been the champion last year.

This year, against KC in a similar situation - TAM didn't get away from the run game AND Brady converted when he had to.   Even the drives where they stalled, it wasn't on Brady (the first drive, for example, Godwin stumbled out of the break, why the throw was a half-step too far - it was perfect on-the-money if Godwin doesn't stumble).   Brady was efficient - but that's all Tampa needed from the O.   I don't know how ppl try to hold that against TB12.

Brady wasn't the only reason why Tampa was better this year - their OL took a quantum leap with RT Wirfs joining their R side with Alex Cappa making the 3rd year leap.  Their secondary's CB's all got better with another year (rookies & 2nd year guys in 2019), and Antoine Winfield Jr. providing a Pro Bowl level boost at S, with an already great front 7.   That's why the D became a top 5 unit.  Brady didn't create those bumps.  That's on GM Jason Licht (MAJOR CREDIT is due).

But what he did do - limit the mistakes, and make the money throws when he had to.  The Miller throw vs. GB.   The throw to Gronk for TD #2 and AB for TD #3.   He also made the right reads, like the throws to Fournette that converted 4th and 3 before the Miller TD in the GB 2Q, and to convert 3rd down late vs. GB as well - and vs. KC today to Fournette & Gronk.  

TB12 played with a complete team.  He didn't make the team complete - Licht did.  But he and Wirfs were massive upgrades on the O - and he was the one who made the plays when they needed it.   

I don't know how anyone can argue that TB12 didn't elevate the O - he makes a lot of the play calls.  He does all the reads.  They even adjusted the O to bring in more elements he thrives with (crossing routes) after the NO loss.   And they ALL made the team better.

Sure, he isn't the only reason why Tampa won the SB.   But they don't win without him replacing Jameis.  They don't win without him making the plays vs. WFT, NO, GB (and 2 of the 3 TO's were a tip and a 3rd and long play he's trying to convert), and again today.

He doesn't get ALL the credit.  But he also deserves a ton of credit.  Tampa doesn't win the SB without TB12 as their QB.  It's that simple. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Brady was pretty much perfect tonight. Didn't have to do much, but did exactly what he needed to do when he needed to. Defense may have been the key to this run, but at the end of the day the only significant difference between the 8-8 team and the SB champs is Tom Brady (sorry Gronk, AB, Lenny, good pickups but not quite significant IMO...). I mean it is outrageous, I don't think Bucs fans have even thought about contending in YEARS, let alone actually winning it all, and from this 1 pickup their franchises entire trajectory changed.

Very few QBs can have that kind of impact at any point in their career. A lot of it is on the field, and of that aforementioned very few, most of their impact will be felt here... but some of it is certainly off field, that championship experience, culture changing leadership, however you want to describe it, that he clearly brought with him, and that's something only a handful of guys in NFL history bring to the table.

We can argue best peak or "talent" all day, but legacy? Brady is like 2 tiers above anyone else at this point, he's in MJ tier which you'd think was impossible for somebody in an 11 on 11 game... 7 SBs, 5 MVPs, 20 years of high level play. Incredible. 

Ran out of likes, but I'd like this. I agree Brady was great tonight and entered MJ tier with the win. I think MJ was still in his own tier by his lone-self before this victory. However, I'd say now it's 1. Jordan, 2. Brady, in their own two-person tier. If Brady wins the Super Bowl, or MVP, next season, I'd consider flipping them, but for now it's still Jordan to me.

8 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yeah.. Brady was fantastic. He made some clutch throws and then put a dagger in at the end of the half. The reality was that by the middle of the third quarter Brady already did all he would need and the game was more about draining the clock. 

Yeh, people want to punish Brady because the Chiefs were not able to fight back. Both the O and the D destroyed the Chiefs equally. Defense had to do it for more time but the game was over once Bucs answered KC's FG with a TD in the 3rd.

9 minutes ago, Starless said:

idk hockey. How many individual records does Howe hold?

I haven't followed hockey in years, but I believe the only one ahead of Howe in major categories is Gretzky. Howe churned out top 5 scoring seasons for 20 consecutive years. Multiple MVPs, Cups scoring titles, etc.

Just an incredibly high level of play year after year, much like Brady.

Gretzky's peak is pretty much untouchable. Lapped the field and then some. It was like 2007 Brady for 5-6 years straight. Guy could have won scoring titles without ever scoring a goal.

• Like 2