Dumpster Fire Thread: Looking forward

JiffyJag

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I do still have to wonder if Khan and Son have pissed him off and destroyed that relationship well beyond repair though.  Tony was a complete dink, utterly unnecessarily on a very public forum.  That isn't just going to go away.  I think the distrust and maligned feelings probably go beyond just Coughlin and Caldwell even.  

Particularly for him, yeah he’s probably not happy with the team outside of who’s now gone and will be gone (Wash). I was just laughing at the possibility of how far the change of the culture could go.

I think ARob is much more possible, but still likely not going to happen. I think if he leaves the Bears, he’s going to be searching for a team with a complete known commodity at QB, and not another young QB with promise yet to be fulfilled. Heading to a team like the Texans makes a lot of sense for both sides. 

39 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

What kind of owner is Khan?  Is he willing to spend money, good with coaches/players, etc.?

We’ve spent more money on Free Agents since he joined than any other team and have often overspent on guys. The money doesn’t seem to be an issue.

There’s never been any indication that Shad is bad with players or coaches, but Tony did stupidly get into a Twitter argument with Yan this summer. Shad’s issue is he’s been horrendous at finding people to run the team and gives these horrible hires far more time than they deserve, and doesn’t step in when they do horrible crap. 

3 hours ago, pwny said:

We’ve spent more money on Free Agents since he joined than any other team and have often overspent on guys. The money doesn’t seem to be an issue.

There’s never been any indication that Shad is bad with players or coaches, but Tony did stupidly get into a Twitter argument with Yan this summer. Shad’s issue is he’s been horrendous at finding people to run the team and gives these horrible hires far more time than they deserve, and doesn’t step in when they do horrible crap. 

Ok, thanks.  That's good to know.  Is Tony Shad's son?  It sounds like Shad just needs to find someone he can trust who is a true football mind.  As a guy who is from another country, he probably didn't grow up with much exposure to the sport.  It has to be tough for a billionaire businessman to buy a team in a sport you don't know, and then have to trust people you don't know and (probably don't know how to adequately interview) to run the daily operations.  I know even for the Wilfs in Minnesota, who were big fans of the game their whole lives, they went through a learning curve when it came to hiring their GM and head coach.  Hopefully, Shad will be able to go into these next hires with more information and experience to pick the right people.  I like the fact that he tends to keep people around rather than firing them immediately like Jimmy Haslem has done in Cleveland.

I'm sorry for all the posts, everybody.  I hope you aren't getting sick of seeing all of them.  I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the team before free agency and the draft. 

Here is a question for all of you.  What is the situation with Cam Robinson?  He is an offensive tackle that is probably going into his second contract next year.   Has he been good enough that you would want to keep him around, or should we move on?  It would be nice to have some stability on at least one of the tackle positions.

Here is some info I could pass along to you.  I heard that Detroit just released safety, Jayron Kearse.  I'm not sure why they let him go, but he played for the Vikings until last year and was actually pretty good.  The problem we let him go is that he was unhappy about not getting enough playing time because we had two other safeties who are excellent:  Harrison Smith & Anthony Harris.  If there isn't any off field baggage or any health concerns, he might be a good one for the Jags to take a look at.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Ok, thanks.  That's good to know.  Is Tony Shad's son?  It sounds like Shad just needs to find someone he can trust who is a true football mind.  As a guy who is from another country, he probably didn't grow up with much exposure to the sport.  It has to be tough for a billionaire businessman to buy a team in a sport you don't know, and then have to trust people you don't know and (probably don't know how to adequately interview) to run the daily operations.  I know even for the Wilfs in Minnesota, who were big fans of the game their whole lives, they went through a learning curve when it came to hiring their GM and head coach.  Hopefully, Shad will be able to go into these next hires with more information and experience to pick the right people.  I like the fact that he tends to keep people around rather than firing them immediately like Jimmy Haslem has done in Cleveland.

Yeah, Tony is Shad’s son. He’s a co-owner of the team, as well as the Senior Vice President of Football Technology & Analytics. He’s also the CEO of AEW and co-owner and Vice Chairman/Director of Football Operations of Fulham.

It’s good that Shad doesn’t have an itchy finger to make changes, but thus far it’d been far too far in the opposite way. He let Dave Caldwell stick around for 8 years, despite the team having a record comparable to Matt Millen’s Lions.

He trusted Tom Coughlin to be that guy to get control of everything, but the only problem is that historically Coughlin was bad at roster management and very poor at managing player personalities, the two responsibilities we gave him to do. And then when it became clear that he was alienating players like Allen Robinson and Dante Fowler, as well as pissing off many other players, Shad kept him around and the way Coughlin handled the 2019 offseason led to Jalen Ramsey and Yannick Ngakoue forcing their way off the team and many other players behind the scenes pushing for their releases and trades.

Under Shad, we have been the worst run franchise in American sports. It’s been a pure unmitigated disaster rivaled only by the worst of the worst. The hope for all of us is that the allure of Trevor Lawrence, multiple early draft selections, and a bunch of cap space makes this job so alluring that it’s impossible to mess up the decision. 

14 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Here is a question for all of you.  What is the situation with Cam Robinson?  He is an offensive tackle that is probably going into his second contract next year.   Has he been good enough that you would want to keep him around, or should we move on?  It would be nice to have some stability on at least one of the tackle positions

He’s one of the guys that you re-sign if you can get him on a reasonable deal, but if you can reasonably find a way to upgrade even if you resign him, it’s not a terrible idea. 

20 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

One guy we might want to check out is Vikings DE Danielle Hunter.  He is due for a new contract next year and the Vikings may not have enough cap space to sign him.  He was out this season with a neck injury, so you would want to make sure he is healthy, but he is an absolute beast against the run and as a pass rusher.  I'd LOVE to bring him down to Jax. 

id rather poach players of the saints LOL like trey hendrickson whos busted out this year.  i need to look at some FAs this year but it all comes back to the scheme which we will run. 

On 12/28/2020 at 2:42 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Tony is indeed Shahid's son.  And he's inserted himself regularly into the process.  He's a billionaire's kid, who wants to play football manager whether its euro or american style.  He thinks he is very smart.  It's where the Jaguars teeter on the brink of being a very expensive plaything for the owners kid.  And there have been instances to back this up.  Unless the team is being run the way Tony wants it to be, and is successful.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Tony is indeed Shahid's son.  And he's inserted himself regularly into the process.  He's a billionaire's kid, who wants to play football manager whether its euro or american style.  He thinks he is very smart.  It's where the Jaguars teeter on the brink of being a very expensive plaything for the owners kid.  And there have been instances to back this up.  Unless the team is being run the way Tony wants it to be, and is successful.  

It must be nice to be a kid and have a couple of professional sports franchises as toys to play with. 

On another note, I've always found it interesting to study men who have build great fortunes to see what makes them tick, so I watched a few videos about Shahid Khan.  I was quite surprised, and found that I had some misconceptions about him.  For some reason, I was always under the impression that he was a European businessman.  It was nice to find out that he has lived in the US for decades and that he is actually a long-time NFL football fan.  Hopefully, this means he knows at least enough about the sport to have some intuition when hiring his new GM and head coach.  I came away from the videos liking Khan.  He seems like a decent guy.