Sign in to follow this  
Jaguarfan

Dumpster Fire Thread: Looking forward

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Norwell has been great this year. Cann has played better than I've ever seen him play, as has Cam (still a long way to go thankfully so we'll see if Cam can be a long term fixture). So all of this is a good development (not that I think Cann is a long term fix, but hopefully Bartch is the future there whenever he's ready).

Offense is largely in a good position. 1-2 punch of Chark/Shenault with Spinna in the backfield is a pretty tremendous core. I'd still love to add a young TE in the draft to learn under Eifert/JOS since TEs generally take a year or two to get going.

I think u can add another deep threat since we all saw what happened with no chark

Also bartch is likely staying at guard more then moving to lt

Edited by LinderFournette

On 10/4/2020 at 7:34 PM, pwny said:

I also don’t understand why people thought this defense was going to be anything but a bottom 2 unit. 

Right?  Like...they traded the two best players and leaders on the entire unit, cut the best remaining CB they had on top of already having moved the star CB, and ditched the solid starting FS...and replaced them with like, a mediocre LBer and a rookie CB?  How did people think that was gonna go?

It was a garbage plan from the start.  It may not be "tanking" per se, because i genuinely believe Caldwell and Co. thought this would somehow work out.  But there was zero chance of this actually working out well.  Weirdly, it's Todd Wash who is dead center in the crosshairs for this mess (and he does kinda suck), but at the same time, there's only so much that you can do with an utterly atrocious roster.

34 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Also bartch is likely staying at guard more then moving to lt

I literally said that.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Norwell has been great this year. Cann has played better than I've ever seen him play, as has Cam (still a long way to go thankfully so we'll see if Cam can be a long term fixture). So all of this is a good development (not that I think Cann is a long term fix, but hopefully Bartch is the future there whenever he's ready).

Offense is largely in a good position. 1-2 punch of Chark/Shenault with Spinna in the backfield is a pretty tremendous core. I'd still love to add a young TE in the draft to learn under Eifert/JOS since TEs generally take a year or two to get going.

Seems like so much of this, is really just on the new scheme with Jay Gruden having like a single actual ******* clue what he's doing (compared to previous OCs here).  An actually well-prepared offensive gameplan is huge in making OLinemen look good, and offensive skill players look competent.

It's also been a season so far, where offenses in general have looked substantially better than defenses, who have really suffered the brunt of not having a real preseason to get warmed up and gel as a unit.

• Like 1

So, were likely looking at:

Bienimy

Saleh

Daboll

Roman

Toub

Brady

Leftwich

McDaniels

Winkdale

As some of the top candidates. Is there anyone on this list you'd be completely against?

I originally was eh on Saleh, but he does seem like an intriguing HC type to me. Seems like he'd be pretty good in that type of role, although I get being sketched out since he was technically here in the Gus days. But he also has very much evolved that defense and hasn't continued on the same path like Gus continues to do in LAC and Wash has done here (although again, this is more so about him as a HC than his scheme he runs).

Not really here for McDaniels. I respect him as an offensive mind and building an offense to fit the guys he has (that offense with Newton has been fun), but what he did in Denver and that ego really turns me off.

I think if Caldwell survives this somehow that Roman is likely target A for him as a HC. 

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I think if Caldwell survives this somehow that Roman is likely target A for him as a HC. 

Man, idk. There’s gotta be a reason Greg Roman was one of the guys that refused an interview with Dave when he first came here and led to Dave eventually blaming the lack of guys who wanted to coach for him as the reason he picked Gus. I can’t imagine that if back then he didn’t trust Dave in his situation to even give an interview that anything that transpired over the last 8 years would have changed his mind.

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

Man, idk. There’s gotta be a reason Greg Roman was one of the guys that refused an interview with Dave when he first came here and led to Dave eventually blaming the lack of guys who wanted to coach for him as the reason he picked Gus. I can’t imagine that if back then he didn’t trust Dave in his situation to even give an interview that anything that transpired over the last 8 years would have changed his mind.

Gotta be honest, I totally forgot about that.

Wonder if having the chance to maybe have some power on getting his own QB (Fields/Lance) would alter that? Or if he just doesn't want to come here/work with Caldwell.

I think the question with Dave staying is going to be the same one that's caused the issues we've had for years now. A coach, coordinator or whatever is always going to look at the job here and ask "how much time am I really going to be given there?". For five years now, that's been the question; it's why we couldn't get anyone outside of the organization to take over for Babich, it's the reason that we have refused to replace Todd Wash, and it's the reason that the guys we have gotten; Olson, Marrone, Hackett, DeFilippo, and Gruden were all guys who were turned down in their attempts to get jobs elsewhere.

If Caldwell is fired, the opportunity to coach here is probably the most stable one available; it's clear Shad will give his GM, and by extension coaches, as long as they want. But as long as Caldwell is here, I think guys are going to shy away from coming here because who knows when Shad finally will have had enough, and guys really don't want to have what might be their one change at being a HC to be a situation where nothing they do could keep them from being ousted after one year in when the GM gets fired. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pwny said:

I think the question with Dave staying is going to be the same one that's caused the issues we've had for years now. A coach, coordinator or whatever is always going to look at the job here and ask "how much time am I really going to be given there?". For five years now, that's been the question; it's why we couldn't get anyone outside of the organization to take over for Babich, it's the reason that we have refused to replace Todd Wash, and it's the reason that the guys we have gotten; Olson, Marrone, Hackett, DeFilippo, and Gruden were all guys who were turned down in their attempts to get jobs elsewhere.

If Caldwell is fired, the opportunity to coach here is probably the most stable one available; it's clear Shad will give his GM, and by extension coaches, as long as they want. But as long as Caldwell is here, I think guys are going to shy away from coming here because who knows when Shad finally will have had enough, and guys really don't want to have what might be their one change at being a HC to be a situation where nothing they do could keep them from being ousted after one year in when the GM gets fired. 

I think to go with that a hot coaching candidate that sees an organization that has been bad for as long as we have, continuing with the same guy who oversees football operations/the draft and builds the team, probably isn't a very exciting place to hitch too either.

Think most of those guys on that list are much more interested in working in unison with a GM that is just starting out with a fresh overall outlook on the organization than one that's been there for several years prior.

We haven't had a fresh start since Shad has gotten here. It's just time. I don't think Caldwell is a "bad GM" per se, as I do think he has a decent eye for talent and drafts have largely been fairly decent when comparing it amongst the league (we are mostly where we are because we let his hits go and he failed on QB decisions/picks imo), but from the whole stink of Bradley, to Coughlin, to our inability to have any success outside of a fluke 2017 season. I don't want the guy who took Bortles to be the next one to take a crack at the QB position either (which was our worry last year). He got this season to see if he lucked into a franchise guy in Minshew and it doesn't appear it happened.

It's just...time.

20 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Wasn’t Baalke in SF with Roman too? Lawrence, Fields, and Lance all seem to be the type of QB that Roman succeeds with.

Saleh was apparently very interested in us Kat year but we decided to keep Marrone.

Joe Brady would be risky but I also feel like he could be the next McVay.

The guy i want is wink Martindale.  I think getting him and pairing him with a strong oc type would be a good call. 

1) his defenses always perform.

2) his scheme fits with the majority of our teams defensive cornerstones. 

2 hours ago, Chops013 said:

Wasn’t Baalke in SF with Roman too? Lawrence, Fields, and Lance all seem to be the type of QB that Roman succeeds with.

Saleh was apparently very interested in us Kat year but we decided to keep Marrone.

He was, and that's why if he's retained I could see that maybe interesting him. As @pwnysaid though, he did turn us down before and with how long Caldwell has been here we'll see if that'd even intrigue him as it's hard to know just how long of a rope Caldwell has. Roster is much better off than it was then with young talent and maybe he does indeed really like one of the QBs so...

Ideally it's a fresh start altogether but if not Roman is probably one of the better options/targets.

2 hours ago, Chops013 said:

if ur looking for an interesting upside guys heres 2 names.

Anthony weaver dc texans. Just feel like hes on the fast track ala vrabel.

Real out the box hire:  Brent Venables clemson DC.  Basically hes the defensive version of kingsbury.  He builds good defenses

We making the move now/tommorow morning? Or is it going to be after we get raced by the Chargers next week going into the bye?