Dumpster Fire Thread: Looking forward

JiffyJag

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I'm gonna go with the Schitt's Creek gif tbh.  Dan Levy and that show have won far more in the last year, than the Jaguars have ever won.  So...

Hey man, I don't blame you.

I'm just saying I've read too many good things, including him adapting/changing things to fit, to reading about him as a leader more than just a gifted mind/playcaller, etc. Haven't seen any of that in our coaches since the beginning of the Gus era. 

Quinn and Gus never showed success on their own. They got gigs by being successful while coaching under a defensive mind in Carroll. Saleh runs that whole unit in SF and has shown to adapt to what he has. Gus and Wash (and Quinn for that matter) never did that. But as I said, it's not even so much about the defense but more so looking like a guy who would come in and take over the whole ship and not one side of the ball as a glorified coordinater like some of these guys are.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I'm just saying I've read too many good things, including him adapting/changing things to fit, to reading about him as a leader more than just a gifted mind/playcaller, etc. Haven't seen any of that in our coaches since the beginning of the Gus era. 

Quinn and Gus never showed success on their own. They got gigs by being successful while coaching under a defensive mind in Carroll. Saleh runs that whole unit in SF and has shown to adapt to what he has. Gus and Wash (and Quinn for that matter) never did that. But as I said, it's not even so much about the defense but more so looking like a guy who would come in and take over the whole ship and not one side of the ball as a glorified coordinater like some of these guys are.

I agree with this fully the way of the league is going offense so that gives me pause about the hire. I don’t want a retread like Gruden I wouldn’t even interview him. My short list consists of:

Robert Saleh

Brian Daboll

Eric Bieniemy

Greg Roman

Byron Leftwich

Joe Brady

Mike LaFleur

No particular order but I know they’ll interview Jay Gruden and possibly hire him.. All this is just wishful thinking until I see action on the front of Khan which may never happen. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I agree with this fully the way of the league is going offense so that gives me pause about the hire. I don’t want a retread like Gruden I wouldn’t even interview him. My short list consists of:

Robert Saleh

Brian Daboll

Eric Bieniemy

Greg Roman

Byron Leftwich

Joe Brady

Mike LaFleur

No particular order but I know they’ll interview Jay Gruden and possibly hire him.. All this is just wishful thinking until I see action on the front of Khan which may never happen. 

Arthur Smith, Wink, and Bowles (one of the few retreads I'm cool with) are guys I'd add.

I know we're so damn jaded from this franchise but I just can't imagine Jay being a legit candidate. He'll get an interview just because but he had too many off field issues in Washington and failed too badly in WAS imo.

I'm not sold on the "offensive mind that is a glorified coordinator" like some on that list including Arthur Smith. I prefer a Vrabel/McDermott approach like I said before unless there's another McVay type (who I think Brady could be). I think Bienimy is a bright mind but also an actual coach.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, fair enough.  I don't know that Saleh wouldn't be a decent head coach.  I just want to get as absolutely far away from all of this regime as possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Theo Epstein stepped down with the Cubs and is intending to take some time away from baseball. If Shad and Tony are actually serious about this analytics thing, it’s time to follow what the Bills are doing and back up the Mack truck to his front door.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

Theo Epstein stepped down with the Cubs and is intending to take some time away from baseball. If Shad and Tony are actually serious about this analytics thing, it’s time to follow what the Bills are doing and back up the Mack truck to his front door.

Sounds like he wants to take time off, unless that somehow is signaling to a switch in sports.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Sounds like he wants to take time off, unless that somehow is signaling to a switch in sports.

Knowing what I know about Theo, I think his intention is to take a year away. But he’s also a guy who is always intrigued by new challenges and hates being stagnate. He said when he joined the Cubs that he had no intention of staying past a decade because he believes that it’d not in his best interest to continue working at the same job.

It may not work, but enticing him with a jump to a completely new sport with completely different dynamics might get him intrigued enough to forgo the year away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Right around 11:00-13:30 he talked about the Jags. Odd, as he almost makes it sound like Caldwell is def out and talking like Marrone would just be ousted due to not forcing a coach on a GM? Am I hearing that right?

Sounds like the argument is that because the team hasn’t fully quit on him, that you‘d give a guy another shot because of how young the team is. Which is honestly dumb.

But they’re also making the case that even if Marrone deserves one more season to figure it out, you don’t give it to him because a franchise QB really should be given a stable situation where he can have 3 years to grow within one philosophy and one system, and leaving Marrone likely means that whoever we have gets the Baker Mayfield treatment and gets two coaches, maybe multiple coordinators in the same year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

Sounds like the argument is that because the team hasn’t fully quit on him, that you‘d give a guy another shot because of how young the team is. Which is honestly dumb.

But they’re also making the case that even if Marrone deserves one more season to figure it out, you don’t give it to him because a franchise QB really should be given a stable situation where he can have 3 years to grow within one philosophy and one system, and leaving Marrone likely means that whoever we have gets the Baker Mayfield treatment and gets two coaches, maybe multiple coordinators in the same year. 

It’s essentially the same thing we’ve been saying around here for years. It makes absolutely no sense to fire a coach and retain a GM and vice versa but yet the Jags keep piece milling together these staffs that eventually fail. 

On 11/17/2020 at 10:19 AM, pwny said:

Analytics are for nerds.  Also, for isolated sports like baseball.

Football...there are applications, but please don't ever give Tony more power.

Hockey...lmao.  You playin'.