Time to fire Lynn & Bradley

Chargers

This is just crazy. I've made it to the point that I'm completely numb to games like this. I think we all knew what was going to happen when they decided to kick the FG. 

Its the Jekyll and Hyde halfs which kill me. We can look like world beaters one moment then straight trash the next. Lots of blame went to Rivers but new season with a new QB and its the same dang thing. I think its time to blow it up and try again before we waste Herbert like we did Rivers.

4 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Watched it with my son and told him on our last drive, “if we don’t get a touchdown, we lose”. Once they called the penalty on Hunter, I knew it was over

Ha! I got you beat, I knew the game was over when Lindsey after being shut down all half ran untouched for 50+ run in the 3rd quarter. 

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t see any way Lynn keeps his job after the last two seasons.  Watching after a disastrous coaching loss against the Bills and Lynn just looks lost and defeated in the presser.  I’m for canning Telesco too but that’s a different discussion. Who’s everyone’s favorite candidates? I can get on board with Joe Brady, Matt Campbell if we go college or Brian Daboll. Who do you guys like?

On 11/30/2020 at 3:33 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

I can’t see any way Lynn keeps his job after the last two seasons.  Watching after a disastrous coaching loss against the Bills and Lynn just looks lost and defeated in the presser.  I’m for canning Telesco too but that’s a different discussion. Who’s everyone’s favorite candidates? I can get on board with Joe Brady, Matt Campbell if we go college or Brian Daboll. Who do you guys like?

J8yFw4n.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/30/2020 at 6:33 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

I'm thinking the 9ers' DC or Titans' OC. You gotta think guys would love to be coaching the Chargers. Brand new stadium, stud rookie QB to build on, top notch veterans like Bosa/Allen, and ownership that tends to keep guys around longer than they should (job security!). 

All I know for sure is I'm tired of seeing Lynn's obvious failures during games. He seems like a good dude but some of the stuff he does especially with time management is bananas. 

The picture that LBC posted above pretty much sums it up.

I don't disagree that Lynn should be fired, but I'm really not so sure that he will be fired. The Spanos love their continuity. And in Spanos speak, continuity means "I am not paying a guy a years salary to not coach for us." Especially if he poops the bed next year, you can simply move on no money owed. Combined with the built in excuses this season had before it even started... I'm not so sure it is a slam dunk.

I do agree that he should be fired. My main gripe with Lynn, and it is something I keep hoping he will change, is his inability to adapt. He coaches and schemes for the team he wants to have. Not the team he actually has. He perpetually tries to fit a square peg in a round hole. When that doesn't work he doesn't change, he doubles down on trying to make it fit. Him and Gus make a perfectly horrible match in that they are both that way.

As for who I would want? Probably Saleh. College coaches, considering having to buyout their contract are pretty much a non starter due to financial reasons. Which may also be the case for some of the top candidates. Price matters to ownership. I could see a guy like Joe Brady, first year as a OC, taking a HC contract that Spanos could stomach.

32 minutes ago, Zappaz said:

I'm thinking the 9ers' DC or Titans' OC. You gotta think guys would love to be coaching the Chargers. Brand new stadium, stud rookie QB to build on, top notch veterans like Bosa/Allen, and ownership that tends to keep guys around longer than they should (job security!). 

All I know for sure is I'm tired of seeing Lynn's obvious failures during games. He seems like a good dude but some of the stuff he does especially with time management is bananas. 

I agree, should be an attractive job. Young QB in place, high draft pick and we should have money under the cap to work with.  Ownership is obvious downfall. There’s a lot of quality candidates out there it seems. 
I was never on board with the Lynn hire. It seemed funny that the Bills let him go after his interim stint there and went with McDermott.  If the Bills saw something special they wouldn’t have let him leave.  Looks like they made the right call

As far as Spanos, even with their ineptitude, I don’t think we can afford another season like the last two.  They only gave Lynn a one year extension, that felt like a “prove it” move, not we’re committed move.  They’ll let him ride out the season for the monetary reasons, might as well let him coach it out if we’re paying him.  I totally agree that we’ll go with a coaching candidate that’ll take a market to below market contract, which probably means first time OC or DC head coach.  I also wouldn’t rule out a guy like Jim Caldwell or Doug Marrone if he gets canned

Edited by BoltsFan937
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

They only gave Lynn a one year extension, that felt like a “prove it” move, not we’re committed move.  They’ll let him ride out the season for the monetary reasons, might as well let him coach it out if we’re paying him.

I agree they are not committed exactly, but that one year extension runs through next year, not this year. He is under contract until the end of next season. Meaning if Spanos were to fire him this offseason, he would have to eat a whole years salary.  Maybe I a misunderstanding you, and if that is the case, I apologize in advance, my bad.

4 minutes ago, Kael said:

I agree they are not committed exactly, but that one year extension runs through next year, not this year. He is under contract until the end of next season. Meaning if Spanos were to fire him this offseason, he would have to eat a whole years salary.  Maybe I a misunderstanding you, and if that is the case, I apologize in advance, my bad.

It’s all good man, I think we’re on the same page.  I know the contract runs through next year, but even the most inept owners (and yes I include Spanos in that) don’t let coaches coach on a lame duck contract.  I’m gonna give Spanos a little credit and assume he sees how disastrous that would be to run Lynn out there next year when everyone knows he’s getting canned after the season.  

Here is how it's going to happen if Spanos is willing to eat the dead money. We will interview and hire Mcdaniels who will pull the same thing he did with the colts and leave us at the altar. All the good coaches will be off the market so we will have to go with a retread with a proven resume. Enter Jeff Fisher or Marvin Lewis. Hey at least, Chargers won't be picking in the top 5 after that. 

In the scenario that somehow disaster doesn't strike us I hope we bring in Kubiak, Toub, Chudzinski, O'Connell and at least talk to them.

And since its a pipe dream but I can  never not mention him on our coaching search. I'd love to bring Mooch back to coaching.

Edited by Leoric

I don’t think a guy like McDaniels is interested in the Chargers. He shunned the Colts organization, pretty sure he’s not interested in our poop show either.  That’s another factor to consider, a top coaching candidate (top) is gonna pick a sound organization, not just the first team that offers a job. If you go somewhere and bomb (McCoy, Caldwell, Patricia etc etc) might be the only head coaching shot you get. For that reason, I don’t think Bienemy is an option, he’d jump on that Houston job first