Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Would that it could work all the neatly.

Unfortunately I think Nagy is the only one getting his walking papers.  Pace will probably get an extension if he hasn't already.  No sense keeping him around to hire a new HC then fire him after the 2022 season.  I don't think even GMcC can possibly be that illogical.

No chance in hell any of it happens. But as far as dreams its a solid one. lol

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

They barely went into the season with a CB1

I still am not sold he is a CB1 yet. I think he only game up 1-2 catches yesterday though, right? Obviously the lack of having Mack and Hicks out there hurts but he still seems to be a good 2/lower 1 level guy to me.

We clacked a 2, 3, and had people who should be fighting for the 4 spot after him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

QB: Fields

RB: Montgomery, Herbert

WR: Mooney

WR:

WR:

TE: Kmet

LT: Jenkins

LG: Whithair

😄

RG:

RT: Borom

RE: Edwards

NT: Goldman

LE: Blackson

OLB: Quinn, Gipson

ILB: Smith

ILB:

OLB: Mack

CB1: Johnson

CB2:

NB: Shelley, Vildor

FS: Jackson

SS: 

This roster is a mess when you look at next season.

It's a mess yes but at least there will be a lot of turnover so it'd be good time for a new GM to come in and start to build the roster the way he sees fit.

Let's hope that happens and ownership doesn't feel compelled to retain Pace for whatever reasons

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Goldman needs to be cut, dude...

I read your posts in Dr Doofen------- (cant spell it)'s voice but when I read anyone writing "dude" but myself I hear little Michelle from Full House's voice.

There has to be some level of mental scarring for that to happen, right?

• Like 2

Considering guys like Kmet, Jenkins, Borom, Vildor, Shelley range from "showing minimal promise" to "get this guy out of here ASAP" to not having played at all, that roster is even worse than it looks.

The entire DL are candidates to be cut. There are only 2 settled spots in the secondary. Depending on your outlook, there are 1-3 settled spots on the OL.

41 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Considering guys like Kmet, Jenkins, Borom, Vildor, Shelley range from "showing minimal promise" to "get this guy out of here ASAP" to not having played at all, that roster is even worse than it looks.

The entire DL are candidates to be cut. There are only 2 settled spots in the secondary. Depending on your outlook, there are 1-3 settled spots on the OL.

Man I and thought I was pessimistic.

I don't get the DL thing at all.  We have one of the best front 7 in the NFL but it hurts like hell when guys like Hicks and Mack are out.  Bilal Nichols is a solid DE and this is what DL coach Chris Rumph had to say about Khyris Tonga.

That doesn’t necessarily explain why Tonga out-snapped Goldman, but Rumph said he is pleased with what he’s seen from the seventh-round rookie.

“That guy has tremendous growth,” he said. “His confidence, his ability to diagnose plays and to take the game plan from the sideline to the field and also to make adjustments from the sideline to the field, his growth is unbelievable from where he was to where he is now. It’s a credit to him.”

This is a 7th round pick who has a shot at replacing Hicks next season if he isn't brought back.  If both Tonga and Nichols pan out that would be two late round picks starting on the DL and a base 3-4 front.  IMHO the DL isn't a major issue.

Vildor and Shelley are just the opposite.  Neither has show NFL starting caliber skills.  Maybe if Vildor moves to the slot CB spot he'll be worth something because he's quick, he's long, and he can tackle but he's sure as hell no edge CB.  But neither guys has proven to be able to cover very well.

So yeah, we need a starting CB and we also need another Adrian Amos type SS to pair with Jackson so we can go back to using him at his strength which is at FS playing centerfield.  Losing Amos has been haunting us ever since and we keep replacing him with guys that are more FS than SS.

Kmet is never gonna be a Travis Kelce but once Nagy is gone and with him that need for another Travis Kelce he can be a reasonably effective TE.  Borom looks to me like he can be a very good OT.  He's big, he's mean, and he's more athletic than anyone gave him credit for now that he's playing at his optimal weight.

40 minutes ago, soulman said:

Kmet is never gonna be a Travis Kelce but once Nagy is gone and with him that need for another Travis Kelce he can be a reasonably effective TE. 

I'm just hoping Kmet develops into the level of player Brate, Schultz, or Higbee. At this point he is a depth guy and I don't see his ceiling going up much past that. I thought he sucked from college to pre-draft and the only thing he's done that impressed me was how hard he ran after the catch a few times last year.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, soulman said:

I don't get the DL thing at all.  We have one of the best front 7 in the NFL but it hurts like hell when guys like Hicks and Mack are out.  Bilal Nichols is a solid DE and this is what DL coach Chris Rumph had to say about Khyris Tonga.

By this I meant Windy's 2022 DL of Edwards, Blackson, and Goldman. I could see them all being cut. I think Tonga can earn a rotation spot, but I wouldn't want to count on him to start just yet.

Most of the rest I agree with. I don't think Kmet can become an impactful TE1 at the NFL level. He's basically limited to playing an inline TE role with minimal impact as a receiver. I think many coaches will look at the Bears' TE situation and want a more dynamic receiving option. As for Borom - he needs to improve, but he's shown enough promise to have the RT spot next season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

By this I meant Windy's 2022 DL of Edwards, Blackson, and Goldman. I could see them all being cut. I think Tonga can earn a rotation spot, but I wouldn't want to count on him to start just yet.

Most of the rest I agree with. I don't think Kmet can become an impactful TE1 at the NFL level. He's basically limited to playing an inline TE role with minimal impact as a receiver. I think many coaches will look at the Bears' TE situation and want a more dynamic receiving option. As for Borom - he needs to improve, but he's shown enough promise to have the RT spot next season.

If Nagy found a way to stick around Borom would have to win his role and Mustipher would walk in the appointed starter for his.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I'm just hoping Kmet develops into the level of player Brate, Schultz, or Higbee. At this point he is a depth guy and I don't see his ceiling going up much past that. I thought he sucked from college to pre-draft and the only thing he's done that impressed me was how hard he ran after the catch a few times last year.

Think Kyle Rudolph.  Another "Domer" whose been a capable TE throughout his career but never a Pro Bowl level guy year in and year out.  For the present I believe between Kmet, James, and Horsted we can do OK at TE.  I see Horsted as another Zach Miller type but they need to let the kid play some.

We'll eventually get a shot at another TE but unless we end up being bottom feeder again we'll never get the very best TE in any draft and besides that how can we rank that position above others we need more talent at so much more?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Fair enough.  But I would argue that we should not release Goldman especially if Hicks won't be re-signed.  IMHO he's not costing us more than he's worth because when he's on his game he makes Roquan's job so much easier. 

He's still one of the best NT in the NFL as far as controlling the LOS against the run and he's only 27 years old and still in his prime.  You don't give up on him unless he's decided to give up on football altogether.  Then he retires.

Blackson is just depth and Edwards is a spot pass rusher playing as 3t DT.  Both can be replaced if we find better.  They're hired guns role players.  Every team has a few of that type.  But Tonga may have enough talent to become a little more special provided he gets some really good coaching.  He's already 25 so he's just now about to hit his prime physically so he just needs the mental part.

Kmet has 40 catches for 402 yards/10.0 ypc catch in 12 games. He's on target for over 50 catches and over 550 yards receiving.  At his current rate he'll surpass what Graham did last season and have better stats than any other TE since Burton in 2018 and he's still just 22 years old and in his second season. I believe there still some upside to be had with him but not at an All Pro level.

And remember, it was Nagy who said he needed certain type of TEs to work his magic and he never produced that magic.  Another HC and OC with an entirely different scheme may have a role for Kmet that fits him far better.  Who can say? I want to see more of Horsted. I think he could be another Zach Miller.  We won't have a single All Pro TE but we can have a trio of TEs that work out quite well.

13 hours ago, soulman said:

I suppose anything is possible but Aaron sounds like he's done with GB.

He sounded like that a few months ago, too. 

8 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

There's no reason to cut Foles at this point. Unless that next QB2 has a cap hit of less than 3M, you're not saving any money.

If it helps us keep Dalton, then for sure. Also, a younger guy with some upside would be preferable to Foles. 

7 hours ago, soulman said:

We don't want Andy "the misfiring rifle" Dalton back or Nick "the ****" Foles back.  We want another mobile QB who can run the very same offense that Fields will be running.  

And for that guy to be a quality player? That's like hitting the Powerball.

Bring back Dalton, if at all possible.