Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

So I didn’t tell you guys this, but over Thanksgiving I talked with a good friend who spoke at length with the father of a Bears player who shall remain nameless.  

It was said Nagy is not a good or respected coach.  He knows plays and that is about it.  He gets confused on player personnel often. 

The quote was my little league coach was better.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

And for that guy to be a quality player? That's like hitting the Powerball.

Bring back Dalton, if at all possible. 

How "quality" was the UDFA from Baltimore who beat our ***?

Heinz, there are quite a few mobile QB out there who'll be looking for a new deal in 2022.  Dalton is pretty useless in an offense that requires running RPO stuff and when he's playing any need to defend against a running QB and roll outs goes poof.

The problem with cutting guys like Blackson and Goldman is that you can’t upgrade from them without spending more of our existing FA budget, which already isn’t enough to fill all the other holes we have with proven talent. Blackson is an adequate player who’s not a difference maker. Every team needs guys like that on the roster. That’s not to say he should just be anointed as a starter, but he should be on the roster. He’s good enough to be in the rotation. Goldman isn’t having a great year but he’s not a liability. You’re almost surely not getting a better player for his role (which is a very specific and limited one) in FA. Tonga has proven to be a usable piece. We’re already needing to add at least 2 CBs, an ILB and a safety. We aren’t in a position on defense to create more holes. Quinn finding it this year after last year has been a HUGE development too. Had he had another 2020 year in 2021 we’d have another hole and a $10M dead cap hit.

We’re gonna see several guys we’d like to upgrade from back next year. At some positions we just need bodies. Goodwin, Grant and/or Byrd all have a decent chance to return as depth guys. In that role (WR4+ on minimumish salaries) that’s fine. That’s what they are. Vildor and/or Shelley are probably on the roster though further down. Foles is probably back. Mustipher will almost surely be on the roster even if not an anointed starter. As long as most of those guys who are back are further down the depth chart that’s acceptable in most cases IMO. If I can’t have developmental players there (and we only have 5 picks) I’d generally rather have experienced depth than street FA starting in the event of injury to my top guys. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The problem with cutting guys like Blackson and Goldman is that you can’t upgrade from them without spending more of our existing FA budget, which already isn’t enough to fill all the other holes we have with proven talent. Blackson is an adequate player who’s not a difference maker. Every team needs guys like that on the roster. That’s not to say he should just be anointed as a starter, but he should be on the roster. He’s good enough to be in the rotation. Goldman isn’t having a great year but he’s not a liability. You’re almost surely not getting a better player for his role (which is a very specific and limited one) in FA. Tonga has proven to be a usable piece. We’re already needing to add at least 2 CBs, an ILB and a safety. We aren’t in a position on defense to create more holes. Quinn finding it this year after last year has been a HUGE development too. Had he had another 2020 year in 2021 we’d have another hole and a $10M dead cap hit.

We’re gonna see several guys we’d like to upgrade from back next year. At some positions we just need bodies. Goodwin, Grant and/or Byrd all have a decent chance to return as depth guys. In that role (WR4+ on minimumish salaries) that’s fine. That’s what they are. Vildor and/or Shelley are probably on the roster though further down. Foles is probably back. Mustipher will almost surely be on the roster even if not an anointed starter. As long as most of those guys who are back are further down the depth chart that’s acceptable in most cases IMO. If I can’t have developmental players there (and we only have 5 picks) I’d generally rather have experienced depth than street FA starting in the event of injury to my top guys. 

This is exactly how I feel about Foles. He’s not good, but cutting him only saves 3M and what backup QB is coming here for less?

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So I didn’t tell you guys this, but over Thanksgiving I talked with a good friend who spoke at length with the father of a Bears player who shall remain nameless.  

It was said Nagy is not a good or respected coach.  He knows plays and that is about it.  He gets confused on player personnel often. 

The quote was my little league coach was better.  

'He knows plays' is a little misleading.

He might know a lot of bad plays but I've yet to see consistently good plays from his O.

He just sucks period 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

This is exactly how I feel about Foles. He’s not good, but cutting him only saves 3M and what backup QB is coming here for less?

Foles should be back with the team in 2022 and as a backup that'd be fine with me.

On the other hand there's no way Dalton should be brought back in any capacity. He'll likely also want a chance to start somewhere else. Maybe Pittsburgh since Big Ben is reportedly retiring after this season..but who knows..all I know is that he shouldn't be back with this team next season.

Don't overlook the possibility of bears hiring Doug Pederson, especially if they keep Pace in the fold.  It should be noted that Pederson already has his former SB MVP in Foles here and also his former QB coach in John DeFilippo  as well.

Bears ownership reportedly also wants to hire a HC with previous experience and besides Harbaugh and McDaniels who may prove difficult in convincing to leave their current jobs, Pederson is probably the next best available guy who fits this criteria.

Not saying Pederson would be high on my list but I'd prefer him over a retread like Leslie Frazier who is also being talked about. I mean it's hard for me to get upset about hiring a former SB winning coach.

Edited by topwop1

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

On the other hand there's no way Dalton should be brought back in any capacity. He'll likely also want a chance to start somewhere else. Maybe Pittsburgh since Big Ben is reportedly retiring after this season..but who knows..all I know is that he shouldn't be back with this team next season.

Dalton's UFA so it's highly unlikely he'll be back.

As for Pederson, I'm not a fan. Things ended poorly in Philadelphia when he no longer had a huge talent advantage.

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Well said.

We already have fewer guys under contract after 2021 than would be considered ideal so why do we want compound that situation be releasing productive vets?

If we find post FA and post Draft that we've acquired better talent we can always release or trade them in May or after June 1st to take advantage of being able to split any dead cap into two seasons.

36 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Dalton's UFA so it's highly unlikely he'll be back.

As for Pederson, I'm not a fan. Things ended poorly in Philadelphia when he no longer had a huge talent advantage.

But here he has good young talent to develop.  Wouldn't that make a difference?

57 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Briggs started the "Pace is gone" rumor today and Kreutz didn't exactly stop the rumor from spreading

Hell yeah!

We just need to clear house all round...get the coaches out as well...not a single one I would stand on the table for...we need a whole new attitude throughout this team regardless of who gets the top jobs.