Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

44 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

So...GMs hire other GMs? That's interesting. Wow. You do understand that's not how it works, right?

And please explain just how GMs EARN their jobs. This will be fascinating. 

By working their way up the ranks of front offices and showing they are capable of fulfilling all the duties required of them to do the job.  You know.  Like everybody else in the world.  Build a resume that demonstrates your qualifications for the job you are applying for.  Your justification for hiring him would be, "he sounds smart when I listen to talk about football on tv "  To be clear idk Riddicks resume other than he worked as a scout 10 years ago in Philly.  He very well may have qualifications for the job, but his work in highly produced television is not enough of a resume.

28 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

"Change for change is sake"?

Yikes. Well, whatever. Explain why Pace deserves to stay. I'll counter, if need be. 

I'm not saying Pace does or doesnt deserve to stay first of all.  I would lean towards keeping him based on what hes done to build the team, especially considering the state it was in before he arrived.  Now I'd the Bears make the playoffs, going to the playoffs 2 of 3 years is more than enough to keep the job.  

I have made my feelings clear.  #1 I think more blame falls on Nagy for the failures of the past 2 years than anybody else.  But again making the playoffs 2 of 3 years is more than enough to keep his job.  I'm encouraged by his willingness at last to change and adapt and that gives me some hope.  But the Bears didnt lose for lack of talent the last couple of years.  #2 What I would do is hire a president of football operations and let him take a year to evaluate what he wants to do at GM and HC.  If he decides to flush it next year then so be it.  The new GM could then come in w/ a full compliment of picks and all the cap room to build his team.  #3 As I've said before the McCaskeys want to be the Rooneys.  Constantly reshuffling the deck is not the path to success in the NFL.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

What I would do is hire a president of football operations and let him take a year to evaluate what he wants to do at GM and HC.  If he decides to flush it next year then so be it.  The new GM could then come in w/ a full compliment of picks and all the cap room to build his team.  #3 As I've said before the McCaskeys want to be the Rooneys.  Constantly reshuffling the deck is not the path to success in the NFL.  

This is what I am hoping to happen, since the winning streak i think took Pace and Nagy's feet out of the fire, so to speak. 

Who would be your top options for President/CEO of the Bears?

35 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

This is what I am hoping to happen, since the winning streak i think took Pace and Nagy's feet out of the fire, so to speak. 

Who would be your top options for President/CEO of the Bears?

I do like the idea of Rick Smith as president.  He hit on pretty much every first round pick in Houston.  He is a known collaborator and I think would come in with a clear plan.  I also would not be opposed to possibly kicking Ryan Pace upstairs to president.  In terms of completely restructuring football ops he did just that.  He convinced the McCaskey to spend a ton of money to update Halas Hall into a state of the art facility which is incredibly important.  With the understanding that he is going to hire a GM to handle team management.  I would imagine Champ Kelly would be pretty high on the list of inhouse candidates. 

Edit:  being as I couldnt really give you a list of top 5 candidates, what I would be looking for is a guy who is going to come in and "Epstein" the Bears.  Would establish the "Bears way"  This is how we scout.  This how we are going to identify talent.  This is how we are going to run our facilities.  This is how we are going to train.  This is how we are going to recover.  One of the best and most lasting things Theo did was write the cubs book.  Even though Theo isnt the president anymore the cubs will be using that book for a long time.  What I really want is somebody who can see how the game is changing and stay ahead of the curve with their plan.  

Edited by Superman(DH23)
  • Like 3

L

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I do like the idea of Rick Smith as president.  He hit on pretty much every first round pick in Houston.  He is a known collaborator and I think would come in with a clear plan.  I also would not be opposed to possibly kicking Ryan Pace upstairs to president.  In terms of completely restructuring football ops he did just that.  He convinced the McCaskey to spend a ton of money to update Halas Hall into a state of the art facility which is incredibly important.  With the understanding that he is going to hire a GM to handle team management.  I would imagine Champ Kelly would be pretty high on the list of inhouse candidates. 

Edit:  being as I couldnt really give you a list of top 5 candidates, what I would be looking for is a guy who is going to come in and "Epstein" the Bears.  Would establish the "Bears way"  This is how we scout.  This how we are going to identify talent.  This is how we are going to run our facilities.  This is how we are going to train.  This is how we are going to recover.  One of the best and most lasting things Theo did was write the cubs book.  Even though Theo isnt the president anymore the cubs will be using that book for a long time.  What I really want is somebody who can see how the game is changing and stay ahead of the curve with their plan.  

Honestly if Theo himself expressed interest in that job I’d be all for it.  I don’t care that’s he’s only worked in baseball.  He’s the kind of guy that everything he touches turns to gold.

Just now, CBears019 said:

L

Honestly if Theo himself expressed interest in that job I’d be all for it.  I don’t care that’s he’s only worked in baseball.  He’s the kind of guy that everything he touches turns to gold.

Let's start a change.org petition to bring in Theo Epstein as the new Bears President

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 9:08 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm not saying Pace does or doesnt deserve to stay first of all.  I would lean towards keeping him based on what hes done to build the team, especially considering the state it was in before he arrived.  Now I'd the Bears make the playoffs, going to the playoffs 2 of 3 years is more than enough to keep the job.  

I have made my feelings clear.  #1 I think more blame falls on Nagy for the failures of the past 2 years than anybody else.  But again making the playoffs 2 of 3 years is more than enough to keep his job.  I'm encouraged by his willingness at last to change and adapt and that gives me some hope.  But the Bears didnt lose for lack of talent the last couple of years.  #2 What I would do is hire a president of football operations and let him take a year to evaluate what he wants to do at GM and HC.  If he decides to flush it next year then so be it.  The new GM could then come in w/ a full compliment of picks and all the cap room to build his team.  #3 As I've said before the McCaskeys want to be the Rooneys.  Constantly reshuffling the deck is not the path to success in the NFL.  

This is what I've been arguing all season but it seems like we're the only ones who sees it this way. 

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is what I've been arguing all season but it seems like we're the only ones who sees it this way. 

That’s fine.

But you have to neuter Ryan Pace. He can’t go spending your future cap space and picks in a win now mode.

If he stays in 2021, he can’t have a negative effect on 2022 for this plan to work.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I have said that many times also, with the weird COVID off season and the 5-1 start besides an epic meltdown they would be back. There almost was an epic meltdown though.

On 1/1/2021 at 8:08 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

As I've said before the McCaskeys want to be the Rooneys.  Constantly reshuffling the deck is not the path to success in the NFL.  

And that's an admirable goal. They have to make really, really, good choices, and make them consistently, for things to turn out that way, though. 

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But you have to neuter Ryan Pace. He can’t go spending your future cap space and picks in a win now mode.

If he stays in 2021, he can’t have a negative effect on 2022 for this plan to work.

If Pace is brought back, I have no idea how he'll view things heading into next season. His approach last off-season didn't work out very well. It's also hard to say if ownership would give him any sort of ultimatums.

My phone sent me an ESPN story about a number of NFL sources saying that the Bears will retain Pace. I can't find the story of the website, so as to create a link (?). No mention of Pace in the story at all. Makes me wonder if the weird scenario will come about...

Pace dumped tons of garbage money into future years this offseason.

If you keep him what stops him from doing that again?

What stops him from trading away future picks to land a QB he can sell as the future?

2022 won’t look as nice to a new GM in that case

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 7:58 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Your justification for hiring him would be, "he sounds smart when I listen to talk about football on tv "  To be clear idk Riddicks resume other than he worked as a scout 10 years ago in Philly.  He very well may have qualifications for the job, but his work in highly produced television is not enough of a resume.

Those guys watch every game, maybe even every college game. They pour tons of research into personnel. When we're talking about Riddick and Daniel Jeremiah--their jobs are a lot different than those of, say, Sal Palintonio or Andrew Siciliano. Mayock is doing just fine now, but he was the best talent evaluator on TV. But...no reasons to think the others might not excel too. I think McShay would do well. Kiper is knowledgeable, but probably too much of an *** to co-exist with others in an NFL front office. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

What stops him from trading away future picks to land a QB he can sell as the future?

The only way Pace could be reigned in is if someone is installed above him that knows football and can give Pace direct orders. That's it. 

Nothing should stop him from trading away future picks to land a QB, though. If you don't trust him to pick a good one, that's fine, but it's an entirely different conversation to have. 

Edited by Heinz D.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, WindyCity said:

Ownership would have to review the contracts Pace wants to give out.

Not sure how you stop him from trading away picks.