Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Sometimes the mistakes are not firing someone but rather allowing them to continue to be employed when it is evident that there are flaws in the way they operate.  We can all specualte right now but we really don't know what the best course of action would be long term for this team. 

Arguments can be made either way but I don't know how many of us can feel that great about the direction of the team based on what we've see lately and the harsh cap and QB reality facing this team this offseason.

I will admit there's a strong chance the next GM is worse than Pace. The Bears could hire another Emery and be bad for years. But that risk is the price you pay in striving for a Super Bowl.

Ultimately these decisions involve a lot of uncertainty. The next GM could be a bumbling idiot who gets really lucky and drafts the next star QB. He could be another Pace. He could be awful in all areas.

NFL executives are rewarded for their success and having a sound plan often isn't good enough. For me, there hasn't been enough success under Pace to warrant an extension. I argued last offseason that the Bears should acquire a real starting QB. Doing so would have allowed Pace to pivot from his original gamble on Mitch and extend the team's competitive window. It now seems too late for that.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I will admit there's a strong chance the next GM is worse than Pace. The Bears could hire another Emery and be bad for years. But that risk is the price you pay in striving for a Super Bowl.

Ultimately these decisions involve a lot of uncertainty. The next GM could be a bumbling idiot who gets really lucky and drafts the next star QB. He could be another Pace. He could be awful in all areas.

NFL executives are rewarded for their success and having a sound plan often isn't good enough. For me, there hasn't been enough success under Pace to warrant an extension. I argued last offseason that the Bears should acquire a real starting QB. Doing so would have allowed Pace to pivot from his original gamble on Mitch and extend the team's competitive window. It now seems too late for that.

Could be worse. Could be better.

Either is better than swimming in this mediocrity for more years.

• Like 3

There is currently some buzz that Bears management are in deep discussions regarding the job status' of certain individuals within the organization.

Speculation is that Nagy may be safe but that Pace is still in jeopardy of losing his job.

Bears have yet to announce a date and time for the HC/GM season ending press conference that usually happens after each season.  Last year it was announced the day after the team's final game..Nagy also addressed the team this morning and position coaches had exit interviews with players...so take what you will from that.

Either way George McCaskey needs to come out and make a statement soon on what the status is.  I mean how do you not know at this point?

Edited by topwop1

This would be a great time to fire Pace and start a rebuild. The Bears schedule looks like hell next year. Go 3-13 and then fire Nagy (or fire him now, IDGAF) and get this thing going the right way. Letting a GM who's already proven to be reckless to now be desperate would effect the popularity of the opening next year

I don’t think Pace was awful or bad.  I think he wasn’t good enough.

I think Nagy was same.

If it were up to me I would clean house and start over.   But I would have a long term plan and vision for a program.  Bears will just recycle people every 4 - 5 years.

Stupidest possible decision will be to bring them back for one more year and then let them go.   Damage that situation could bring could last a decade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t think Pace was awful or bad.  I think he wasn’t good enough.

I think Nagy was same.

If it were up to me I would clean house and start over.   But I would have a long term plan and vision for a program.  Bears will just recycle people every 4 - 5 years.

Stupidest possible decision will be to bring them back for one more year and then let them go.   Damage that situation could bring could last a decade.

Its really a catch-22 too. We aren't in a great spot to land "our guy" as the GM and HC. No QB, later pick, lack of talent on offense, cap issues, etc. Do we take the scraps from what is left over from a number of other teams or try to prime outselves for the 2022 offseason by limiting Pace and Nagy's ability to hurt the team in the long run?

I almost feel like Ted needs to be looking for his replacement and then 2021 is the "purge" year to lose bad contract and cut dead weight, and signing a ton of young guys to hope and hit on a few while at least adding depth around the team. Then let the new GM and HC pick their guy and go from there.  We are clearly behind the Jags, Jets, and Chargers and likely behind a number of others this year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Its really a catch-22 too. We aren't in a great spot to land "our guy" as the GM and HC. No QB, later pick, lack of talent on offense, cap issues, etc. Do we take the scraps from what is left over from a number of other teams or try to prime outselves for the 2022 offseason by limiting Pace and Nagy's ability to hurt the team in the long run?

I almost feel like Ted needs to be looking for his replacement and then 2021 is the "purge" year to lose bad contract and cut dead weight, and signing a ton of young guys to hope and hit on a few while at least adding depth around the team. Then let the new GM and HC pick their guy and go from there.  We are clearly behind the Jags, Jets, and Chargers and likely behind a number of others this year.

We will be in a worse situation if we let Pace have another 2020 offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Without a real President/CEO to overrule him, I agree. Either we get that or I'm concerned we get to pick from the "discount section" so to speak. Not saying they can't work out or be great, but I don't trust Philips or Pace to reset the organization.

46 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Without a real President/CEO to overrule him, I agree. Either we get that or I'm concerned we get to pick from the "discount section" so to speak. Not saying they can't work out or be great, but I don't trust Philips or Pace to reset the organization.

You change to avoid further damage now. We aren’t going to be an attractive spot next year either.

Do it before the damage gets worse.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Speculation is that Nagy may be safe but that Pace is still in jeopardy of losing his job.

4 hours ago, Orange&Blue said:

Currently listening to Biggs' interview from about 7am this morning and he seemed skeptical that Pace would return. 1 winning season over 6 years, never solving the QB, etc. Everyone here knows the failures.

A lot of times, when trying to figure out what the more opaque franchises are up to, you just gotta tally up all the little fragments you can. Pace is gone. I bet they deal with things just like they did last time--have the new GM decide on the coach. Let's all pray to the football gods that Phillips is shown the door along with Pace. 

13 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

A lot of times, when trying to figure out what the more opaque franchises are up to, you just gotta tally up all the little fragments you can. Pace is gone. I bet they deal with things just like they did last time--have the new GM decide on the coach. Let's all pray to the football gods that Phillips is shown the door along with Pace. 

I don’t think anything changes, maybe Ted retires.

Pace and Nagy will be back. Pace will be extended a year to fully match Nagy.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

@SugashaneYou either fire them all or extend them.

A lame duck year would be a disaster unless you made it a tank year and handcuffed them ie; no trades and no major FAs. 

That would be really unprofessional and insulting though and also cause all kinds of problems and damage morale for players and coaches.  Can't see how you would logistically work that and keep the locker room.

Lame duck  year with Fox was stupid.    Lame duck year with Nagy and/or Pace would be just as stupid.   More so as GM would be making moves without regard to long term.

• Like 2

Just now, dll2000 said:

@SugashaneYou either fire them all or extend them.

They've done the exact same thing (with Emery and Lovie) that I'm suspecting they're gonna do now. 

Just now, dll2000 said:

Lame duck  year with Fox was stupid.    Lame duck year with Nagy and/or Pace would be just as stupid.   More so as GM would be making moves without regard to long term.

The McCaskeys are stupid. Need I expound? 

• Like 1