Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

The more I think about it I don't think our off season has been that bad. Wilson/Watson weren't a real option. We didn't trade a 2st or multiple 1sts for a last hoorah QB. We got a QB who's a clear upgrade and isn't getting a lot for a QB. Fuller wanted out and we replaced him as best as we could. If Hicks wants out that sucks but if we're gonna lose guys at least they're 30+ years old. Never hurts to get younger and cheaper. Eddie Goldman gets the chance to sink or swim as far as seeing if he can be great without Hicks.  We can't afford to keep Robinson on the tag so I hope we extend him or trade him. We have some options.  

Edited by Damikeeeee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

The more I think about it I don't think our off season has been that bad. Wilson/Watson weren't a real option. We didn't trade a 2st or multiple 1sts for a last hoorah QB. We got a QB who's a clear upgrade and isn't getting a lot for a QB. Fuller wanted out and we replaced him as best as we could. If Hicks wants out that sucks but if we're gonna lose guys at least they're 30+ years old. Never hurts to get younger and cheaper. Eddie Goldman gets the chance to sink or swim as far as seeing if he can be great without Hicks.  We can't afford to keep Robinson on the tag so I hope we extend him or trade him. We have some options.  

So a tiny upgrade at QB, losing a good corner for an oft-injured one, relying on Hicks to be healthy, hopefully seeing Goldman perform at a high level still, and maybe losing Robinson classifies as "not that bad?"

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

So a tiny upgrade at QB, losing a good corner for an oft-injured one, relying on Hicks to be healthy, hopefully seeing Goldman perform at a high level still, and maybe losing Robinson classifies as "not that bad?"

I think the Fuller loss was probably inevitable when Pace gave Jackson a huge contract. Mack still carries too much of a cap hit to go about doing things any other way...unless you start cutting offensive guys, and that's the talent deficient side of the ball. Money needs to start going in that direction, not come from it. Trufant may not even be the starter at CB, anyway. Could be a guy from last year. 

So yeah, it hasn't been too bad. They haven't added anybody to the offense, which I think is pretty weird, but they still have opportunities. Dalton should be fine mentoring a young guy, or even two young guys. 

3 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

So then you either think they have had a good offseason, or they had had an ok offseason. If it's the second one then that it why this franchise is dog ****, we rationalize mediocrity and thats what we get for 35+ years. If it's that you think they have had a good one so far then I think the others have disputed this enough already.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

It's more than tiny. Fuller wanted out. That's life. We still have Hicks who is elite and Goldman with a year off can play well. He always has. Will he be great without Hicks who knows but we still have Hicks. Robinson, like Fuller, is what it is.  Having 20mil cap hits hurts just as much as seeing our guys walk but it happened. 

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

So then you either think they have had a good offseason, or they had had an ok offseason. If it's the second one then that it why this franchise is dog ****, we rationalize mediocrity and thats what we get for 35+ years. If it's that you think they have had a good one so far then I think the others have disputed this enough already.

Well, they should have fired Pace. But even without Pace, Khalil Mack is still a Bear, and his contract remains on the books. That hamstrings a lot of the off-season options every year, but especially this year. Had Pace did what he should have, and drafted Watson, we'd all be happy to have these problems, as we probably would have won a Super Bowl already. 

So, I'd qualify it. It's been a decent off-season, with a lot of understandable fallout from earlier, terrible, Pace decisions. 

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Dalton isn't even an upgrade at QB. Bears found a replacement who's worse than Mitch.

Well, he's terrible but in a different way?  I feel the exact same about Dalton as I did Foles last year. They're trying to find someone who isn't, as they say on here, "haywire" to run the offense to at least show it can work.

Mitch-Foles-Dalton is about as lateral as you can get. Yes totally different kind of bad, but is any one of them going to be a top 20 QB?  Would that be exciting to be in the teens? More importantly would it win anything? 

We've all said this team is talented enough to win at least 8 games even with no real QB, but at least now (barring some trade for a W QB) we're going to find out!  I was OK with losing Fuller this offseason, so long as we got something for a rebuild out of it.  They've accomplished the former at least, and the only benefit to the team is that Daltons contract hasn't gotten them fined. 

I'll still watch though.  

This is one of the most pathetic 'win now' attempts I've ever seen from a front office.  Dalton said he's been assured the starting job.  If that's true it's a remarkable dice roll from Pace.  Do we assume Pace needs to win a playoff game to keep his job?  And he thinks a past-his-prime Andy Dalton, who is 0-4 in the playoffs is going to do that?  Bizarre. 

It's such a bad attempt to win now I'm wondering if actually Pace has been given assurances he can have another stab at a rebuild. Hence the 1 year deals they've signed.  And the lack of clarity about his contract length at the end of last season. 

If they trade Robinson then it feels odds on that Pace won't be going anywhere.

• Like 1

Really ecstatic Pace passed on Tunsil in draft because he smoked marijuana in college. 

He turned into like 4 first round picks and change for Miami who flat didn’t care.  

We have the Portland GM from 80s. Not bad in greater scheme of things, but makes incredibly bad errors in judgment that you can’t forget.