Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Since the thread topic is "Fire Pace" I'll limit my comment to that.

They like him.  That's one reason they haven't and may not any time soon.  But the other reason is more important.

Until the McCaskey's are willing to move Ted Phillips to the dust bin of retirement (they will never fire him) who can they get to replace Pace?  I'm dead certain he wasn't their first choice when they hired him but better talent like Eric DeCosta wouldn't even interview.  He probably wouldn't even take their calls.

Going back prior to Pace, who did they hire?  Phil Emery a glorified scout.  Jerry Angelo?  Pretty much the same.  Since the '70s and '80s the Bears have not had a top GM with significant previous NFL experience building winners.  None.

The Bears may be an NFL legacy franchise but this is the McCaskey Bears run by a former bean counter who also had no prior experience as CEO of an NFL franchise and owners who are also lacking in football savvy.

The McCaskey's will never sell the team which leaves only the option of convincing Teddy Bears to retire and I don't see that on the horizon either.  So IMHO they're somewhat stuck with Pace or another like him for as long as they refuse to give over control of running the team to someone qualified to do it as GSH finally did when he hired Jim Finks.

This is reality as I see it.

Welcome back Soul, missed ya around these parts although we keep in touch regularly.

Edited by malagabears
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Going back prior to Pace, who did they hire?  Phil Emery a glorified scout.  Jerry Angelo?  Pretty much the same.  Since the '70s and '80s the Bears have not had a top GM with significant previous NFL experience building winners.  None.

I know this seems problematic, but isn’t it what most teams do? How many previously successful GMs switch teams?

I don’t think hiring inexperienced GMs is the problem. I just think the Bears stick with GMs (and coaches... and QBs) for way too long even after they can see the obvious flaws. They’re too sentimental about replacing people.

16 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I know this seems problematic, but isn’t it what most teams do? How many previously successful GMs switch teams?

I don’t think hiring inexperienced GMs is the problem. I just think the Bears stick with GMs (and coaches... and QBs) for way too long even after they can see the obvious flaws. They’re too sentimental about replacing people.

So why didn't they see those same flaws before they were hired?  With all due respect I think you're letting them off the hook for being poor judges of talent.  They don't more excuses than they already have which is their record as owners.

In the NFL money talks and successful GMs or Asst. GMs have moved around before.  Sans Ted Phillips and with a title of President of Football Ops I believe many would love to have the job of bailing the McCaskeys ouy and resurrecting the Bears but not one top guy will leave his job to come to Chicago and work under Ted Phillips.  I believe that as well.

I don’t think the McCaskeys are super progressive.

I think they want someone who will run the team in the way that the family likes. They are never hiring someone who will really push the envelope.

Pace got here and immediately built the same Bears team we have watched our entire lives.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soulman said:

So why didn't they see those same flaws before they were hired?  With all due respect I think you're letting them off the hook for being poor judges of talent.  They don't more excuses than they already have which is their record as owners.

In the NFL money talks and successful GMs or Asst. GMs have moved around before.  Sans Ted Phillips and with a title of President of Football Ops I believe many would love to have the job of bailing the McCaskeys ouy and resurrecting the Bears but not one top guy will leave his job to come to Chicago and work under Ted Phillips.  I believe that as well.

I mean that’s football... Most often new hires have never coached or GM’d before and you don’t know their flaws.

I’m not trying to let the franchise off the hook because I think they have big problems. Why did they waste so many years on Rex when it was obvious he’d never be a top QB? Why did they do the same with Mitch? The approach needs to change if the Bears want to win something of significance. Sentimentality doesn’t help you win in football.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I mean that’s football... Most often new hires have never coached or GM’d before and you don’t know their flaws.

I’m not trying to let the franchise off the hook because I think they have big problems. Why did they waste so many years on Rex when it was obvious he’d never be a top QB? Why did they do the same with Mitch? The approach needs to change if the Bears want to win something of significance. Sentimentality doesn’t help you win in football.

Neither does living in the past and that is what the McCaskeys do best.

12 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I really believe I've answered the questions you pose.  Ownership lacks football savvy and has always been hesitant to act on facts that are in front of their noses.  How long did we have to suffer through the Michael McCaskey era before Ginny finally removed him?  And it was for messing up a coaching hire of a guy they preferred to get the job and not over the previous what, 16 or 17 years he's totally mismanaged the team as President and then as his own GM.

They're no longer cheap and will spend money but do they spend it wisely?  No.  IMHO for the amount of money they have sunk into this team they should expect better results but haven't gotten them nor do they seem to have any idea of how to develop a solid plan to change this.  The family all have jobs, the bills get paid, they've enhanced Halas Hall, and paid out hundreds of millions for talent.  But most importantly the franchise gains 100s of millions value each year.

We always hear talk about getting back to the glory years but in reality that seems to be their true and ultimate goal

As for the first sentence you and I will have to disagree.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think the McCaskeys are super progressive.

I think they want someone who will run the team in the way that the family likes. They are never hiring someone who will really push the envelope.

Pace got here and immediately built the same Bears team we have watched our entire lives.

Are you suggesting that Pace is not operating this team with his own vision and that he is simply a puppet for the McCaskey family?

I mean at the end of the day Pace may suck at his job but I don't think it's because he has any influence from above on how to run the team 

Also for as clueless as this ownership may be I find it hard to believe they don't want to achieve great things and be a perennial winning franchise

They've got enough wealth to last many generations and regardless of how bad their record is in any given season the team will never be hurting from a financial standpoint 

I take it you meant that McCaskey's don't want someone brash and in your face and who doesn't care about what anyone thinks...i.e. a Bruce Arians type but having someone like that and being successful are not mutually exclusive 

Edited by topwop1

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That chart...wow. Obviously, I've been paying attention and know how bad it's been, but when you see it laid out like that?

Pathetic. Just pathetic. 

like you said, it's only pathetic if you've been paying attention

• Like 1