Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

On 4/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, topwop1 said:

Also for as clueless as this ownership may be I find it hard to believe they don't want to achieve great things and be a perennial winning franchise

They've got enough wealth to last many generations and regardless of how bad their record is in any given season the team will never be hurting from a financial standpoint 

Two vastly different issues and motives IMHO.

Of course they want the franchise to achieve great things.  That would only enhance the value of their inheritance and their prestige.  I believe the problem is they simply don't know how.  Unlike GSH they've always lacked an effective plan for doing it.

Yes they have an abundance of wealth but that's side issue.  They also have other shareholders who own 20% of the team and those guys are top Chicago business execs so ROI has to come into play somewhere.  It's not the family hobby business.

Again, and IMHO only.  The McCaskey's aren't complete fools or miserably cheap and incompetent any longer but they are not 21st century NFL Football savvy either.  They are not the ones who should be running that team but for whatever reason or set of reasons they can't see it that way so the cycle remains unchanged. They're in a rut.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 2:29 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I also wonder if he thought there was going to be a bigger free agency market given the cap situation.  It seems like alot of people thought teams were going to release vets left and right and that didn't happen at all.

The only team that released a really good player because of cap mismanagement was probably the Bears

8 minutes ago, British said:

The only team that released a really good player because of cap mismanagement was probably the Bears

Not the only team. Seahawks and Jarran Reed? Cardinals and Patrick Peterson? Titans and Malcolm Butler? Chiefs Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz?

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, topwop1 said:

Not the only team. Seahawks and Jarran Reed? Cardinals and Patrick Peterson? Titans and Malcolm Butler? Chiefs Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz?

True. But I'd say the Bears losing Fuller was probably the most egregious.

Fisher and Schwartz haven't even been signed by anyone. They were cut because they weren't good enough. 

10 minutes ago, British said:

True. But I'd say the Bears losing Fuller was probably the most egregious.

Fisher and Schwartz haven't even been signed by anyone. They were cut because they weren't good enough. 

Fisher and Schwartz were cut because they are injured and that’s the reason they haven’t been signed yet. They are plenty good enough if healthy. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Fisher and Schwartz were cut because they are injured and that’s the reason they haven’t been signed yet. They are plenty good enough if healthy. 

There was a rumor a while back that the Bears had talked with Fisher's people. Let's hope it's true. 

• 5 months later...

To the topic, I'm still a big fan of Rick Smith- the former GM who turned the Texans around before retiring to take care of him terminal wife.

Others -

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah - VP of Operations for the Browns - clearly they are able to get and stockpile talent in CLE. He's helping out and I like our QB WAY more than I ever have Mayfield.

Joe Hortiz, Ravens director of college scouting - their drafting has been great early on. Dude's been working with the franchise since 98.

Mike Borgonzi, Chiefs director of football operations - I'm nervous he would want another Reid puppet as his HC though.

Dan Morgan, Bills director of player personnel - tough SOB who would demand the team reflect that. Helped in SEA and then took on more responsibility in BUF

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

To the topic, I'm still a big fan of Rick Smith- the former GM who turned the Texans around before retiring to take care of him terminal wife.

Others -

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah - VP of Operations for the Browns - clearly they are able to get and stockpile talent in CLE. He's helping out and I like our QB WAY more than I ever have Mayfield.

Joe Hortiz, Ravens director of college scouting - their drafting has been great early on. Dude's been working with the franchise since 98.

Mike Borgonzi, Chiefs director of football operations - I'm nervous he would want another Reid puppet as his HC though.

Dan Morgan, Bills director of player personnel - tough SOB who would demand the team reflect that. Helped in SEA and then took on more responsibility in BUF

If we don't want to hire a GM/HC combo right off the bat and want to get the GM in place before then holding interviews my top choice would be Ed Dodds who is assistant GM for the Colts...Dodds played a major role in building not only that roster but also the Seahawks roster when they were true superbowl contenders year in year out...plenty of experience and links around the league to build a quality front office and hire a top HC candidate. 

• Like 1

Can't say much more than to admit this years version looks kinda like the last two and it's all getting pretty stale.  How much more unprepared can we be for an opener?  Happens every single year.  Camp and preseason are wasted on what?

No one truly expected to win this game but until the Bears can at least show they can compete with the better teams any talk about being on the right path is utter imagination on the part of Pace and Nagy.  Their kind of collaboration isn't working.

I can't imagine I would have thought this way 6 months ago but it's beginning to look like we have to tear this half built version down again and rebuild it around Fields.  If so I really don't feel Pace and Nagy should be in charge of doing it. It's time to move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

If we don't want to hire a GM/HC combo right off the bat and want to get the GM in place before then holding interviews my top choice would be Ed Dodds who is assistant GM for the Colts...Dodds played a major role in building not only that roster but also the Seahawks roster when they were true superbowl contenders year in year out...plenty of experience and links around the league to build a quality front office and hire a top HC candidate. 

Is the Colts' roster good?

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Is the Colts' roster good?

It's not that simple...if it was all the FO staff and coaches around the NFL would have came from the Pats...

Looking at some of the best coaches in the NFL right now they didn't come from the most successful teams...Sean Payton came from a poor Dallas team...Sean McVay from the Redskins...Kyle Shanahan was ran out of town in Cleveland before hitting Atlanta then being hired by the 9ers...

Same goes for GM...Brandon Beane has turned the Bills round while coming from Carolina...Andrew Berry have built a quality roster in Cleveland after returning from Philly...George Paton is a QB away from having a quality team in Denver after coming from Minny...even Les Snead from Atlanta to LA wasn't a slam dunk hire based on the Falcons roster at the time...

In terms of the Colts roster they have found some real quality...Taylor at RB...Pittman at WR...Kelly, Nelson & Smith upfront...Stewart & Leonard on defence jump off the screen...Moore, Willis, Ya-Sin have all been quality DB pick ups as well...Dodds also apparently had a huge say in building the legion of boom in Seattle as well as the selection of Russell Wilson...that is the type of talent evaluator we need.

• Like 2