Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

Just now, soulman said:

Well I watched Donald eat him alive to get one sack and he had a number of almosts and those came through Whitehair.  Whether or not he's better than some isn't the point.  He's not anywhere near an All Pro even second or third team.  Mike.....we need some elite OL.

You may want to send a question about the scheme into Ask Larry.  This year it was decided they needed to be more power type guys.  Now who decided that and if they can't play that style why would we do it?  If you can unravel what goes on in the minds of Matt Nagy and Co please let me know.

Your full team isn't going to be All Pro...not only that but Aaron Donald winning 2 or 3 snaps outright is a win...dude normally wins 10-15 a game...I though the entire OL handled Donald pretty well the entire night...

Nagy wants more power but it just doesn't fit what these guys bring to the table...a good coach adapts to his players.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Your full team isn't going to be All Pro...not only that but Aaron Donald winning 2 or 3 snaps outright is a win...dude normally wins 10-15 a game...I though the entire OL handled Donald pretty well the entire night...

Nagy wants more power but it just doesn't fit what these guys bring to the table...a good coach adapts to his players.

The OL was way better than I thought. I thought they did a really good job in the run game and were as solid as they could be in the pass.

Ifedi and Daniels were both way better than I expected.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I didn't see the entire game but when your QB is only averaging 5.42 YPA that tells me he had little or no time to pass downfield so take that as you will.  Or in other words LA handled our Mack and Quinn attack just fine but we didn't handle theirs as well. Two sacks for Hollins and one for Donald.

It's pretty amazing how Pace has set the team up for neither the short nor the long term. Short term they're in serious trouble at not just two positions but two entire units in CB and OL.  Long term they may have the rookie QB but what are they going to do with him? If they bite the bullet and rebuild they're not getting much for their aging veterans on big contracts, and they certainly don't have much to draft with.  Best case scenario is that Fields plays eventually and turns Nagy's offense into something, as I believe that both Nagy and Pace are here for a while, and the alternative is bleak if we have to wait for Nagy's offense to get going in year six or seven while Pace gives Hicks a bunch of void years.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The OL was way better than I thought. I thought they did a really good job in the run game and were as solid as they could be in the pass.

Ifedi and Daniels were both way better than I expected.

Then that's good news.  Maybe after I see more videos my thinking will change.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

I didn't see the entire game but when your QB is only averaging 5.42 YPA that tells me he had little or no time to pass downfield so take that as you will.  Or in other words LA handled our Mack and Quinn attack just fine but we didn't handle theirs as well. Two sacks for Hollins and one for Donald.

That was down to the play design and Dalton not seemingly having the arm to push the ball down the field...not that he was under a ton of pressure all night...

One thing last night does answer is Nagy was holding Trubisky back from throwing down field and not the other way around.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

Or  he just chose not to.

• Like 1

Yeah seemed like the plan was to keep it short all day and make sure they had an off ramp on every play.  It actually did make Dalton look better than he is, but still not very good. I'm guessing Nagy had some master plan that would eventually open like a beautiful flower but it probably required 8 consecutive boring plays to be successful to set the stage. 

This team is like dealing with a schizophrenic;  all our WR moves are set for speedy downfield guys, but we bring in the dink and dunkiest dink QB and put him behind an OL that is going to require passes that are practically lateral.

11 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Yeah seemed like the plan was to keep it short all day and make sure they had an off ramp on every play.  It actually did make Dalton look better than he is, but still not very good. I'm guessing Nagy had some master plan that would eventually open like a beautiful flower but it probably required 8 consecutive boring plays to be successful to set the stage. 

This team is like dealing with a schizophrenic;  all our WR moves are set for speedy downfield guys, but we bring in the dink and dunkiest dink QB and put him behind an OL that is going to require passes that are practically lateral.

Yeah remember when they added Goodwin in the offseason for sPeEd? Collinsworth acknowledged it last night too, in case you forgot.

19 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

It's pretty amazing how Pace has set the team up for neither the short nor the long term. Short term they're in serious trouble at not just two positions but two entire units in CB and OL.  Long term they may have the rookie QB but what are they going to do with him? If they bite the bullet and rebuild they're not getting much for their aging veterans on big contracts, and they certainly don't have much to draft with.  Best case scenario is that Fields plays eventually and turns Nagy's offense into something, as I believe that both Nagy and Pace are here for a while, and the alternative is bleak if we have to wait for Nagy's offense to get going in year six or seven while Pace gives Hicks a bunch of void years.

It isn't all doom and gloom.

Fields looks legit.   Johnson can play.  Montgomery can play.  Borom looks talented.   Nichols is good.  Kmet and Mooney are good.  Jenkins may be good.   

That is QB1, CB1, RB1, at least one OT, a DL, a TE, and a WR2.    Those are good building blocks.  OTs, CBs and QBs are some of hardest positions to find.  

Yes there are a ton of holes, but there is some base young talent to build off.

Now you don't have to draft QBs or spend in FA on them.  

Still there is a lot of doom and gloom.  LOL.  Look at this way.  We aren't the Texans.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I was watching broadcast so couldn't see all 22, but from what I understand Rams were keeping safeties deep.

You still have to challenge them from time to time.

Protection was decent for most of game.   I watched a bunch of other games and many other QBs were under more duress.

In MN vs. Cinn both QBs were under far more duress than Dalton.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I was watching broadcast so couldn't see all 22, but from what I understand Rams were keeping safeties deep.

You still have to challenge them from time to time.

Protection was decent for most of game.   I watched a bunch of other games and many other QBs were under more duress.

In MN vs. Cinn both QBs were under far more duress than Dalton.  

The Rams always keep their safeties deep...Collingsworth said several times that the Rams D is basically daring you to run against them...the reason they get away with it is because they have speed to close if you do...don't run the ball and then you need to face that pass rush and guys on the back end who can take the ball away...it's a really smart scheme and one I would love here next season...Ejiro Evero would be an excellent DC candidate.

• Like 2