Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The Rams always keep their safeties deep...Collingsworth said several times that the Rams D is basically daring you to run against them...the reason they get away with it is because they have speed to close if you do...don't run the ball and then you need to face that pass rush and guys on the back end who can take the ball away...it's a really smart scheme and one I would love here next season...Ejiro Evero would be an excellent DC candidate.

There were times I'd wondered if the Rams D and Bears O had collaborated on that game plan together, as they seemed perfectly happy to let the Bears keep it short.

What's going to happen when Dalton faces a defense that's not going to be content with letting that be? I really think the Rams coverage and the Bears game plan made both Dalton and the OL look better last night.

I found a half full beer in the fridge this morning. Took me a second to realize that I didn't want to finish either the drink or the game and went to bed early. Can't recall that happening before on opening weekend.  Lots of people seem to have the sentiment that this season isn't for contending, more to see if Fields has got it or not, and that's fine, but I did not think the Bears would be so boring to watch. 

3 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

There were times I'd wondered if the Rams D and Bears O had collaborated on that game plan together, as they seemed perfectly happy to let the Bears keep it short.

What's going to happen when Dalton faces a defense that's not going to be content with letting that be? I really think the Rams coverage and the Bears game plan made both Dalton and the OL look better last night.

I found a half full beer in the fridge this morning. Took me a second to realize that I didn't want to finish either the drink or the game and went to bed early. Can't recall that happening before on opening weekend.  Lots of people seem to have the sentiment that this season isn't for contending, more to see if Fields has got it or not, and that's fine, but I did not think the Bears would be so boring to watch. 

Bears have to finish drives.   You can't play from behind against that scheme.

They will come out of it if you get ahead. 

The Bears D played terrible was primary problem.  Or the secondary did.

For a Bears offense it wasn't bad between the 20s.  Of course if you don't cross the goal line it is all meaningless.

I do not think the Bears will fire Pace, but it would be warranted.

The free agent moves and cap management the last few years has been horrific.

We are going to be rebuilding the WR core and adding to the OL, and adding to the defense on a budget next year because of how much dead money we are carrying.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think the Bears will fire Pace, but it would be warranted.

The free agent moves and cap management the last few years has been horrific.

We are going to be rebuilding the WR core and adding to the OL, and adding to the defense on a budget next year because of how much dead money we are carrying.

The thing I come back to with Pace is that I think he does a lot really well...and some things badly which is fine no one is perfect but do we let him hire and build for another HC? I'm not so sure.

i actually like Pace's drafts overall, but he has definitely been less than average on FA (hits include hicks and allen, misses have been, well, we know), and his contracts have been extremely questionable.

just promote him to team president, because his overall vision for the team has been good (new halas hall). bring in rick smith as GM and Daboll as HC next year. I'm pretty over nagy.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was watching broadcast so couldn't see all 22, but from what I understand Rams were keeping safeties deep.

You still have to challenge them from time to time.

Protection was decent for most of game.   I watched a bunch of other games and many other QBs were under more duress.

In MN vs. Cinn both QBs were under far more duress than Dalton.  

This is exactly why there should have been more success in the intermediate game. I have zero issues throwing 2-3 passes deep and out of bounds (if coverage is good, not just to waste) to keep forcing the safeties back. That helps open up things in the 10-15 yard range significantly. Nagy's refusal to try so shows he lacks the balls to be a playcaller and Dalton's lack of attempts (I refuse to believe he can't alter a route) shows he is back up fodder.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

This is exactly why there should have been more success in the intermediate game. I have zero issues throwing 2-3 passes deep and out of bounds (if coverage is good, not just to waste) to keep forcing the safeties back. That helps open up things in the 10-15 yard range significantly. Nagy's refusal to try so shows he lacks the balls to be a playcaller and Dalton's lack of attempts (I refuse to believe he can't alter a route) shows he is back up fodder.

I'm just thinking...does anyone remember a slant route being thrown by Dalton last night? All that bailing out by their back seven and I honestly can't remember one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

The thing I come back to with Pace is that I think he does a lot really well...and some things badly which is fine no one is perfect but do we let him hire and build for another HC? I'm not so sure.

Which is why I think he is someone who can work with a GM really well. He is a football guy with strengths and weaknesses, whereas Teddy brings nothing to the table.

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

i actually like Pace's drafts overall, but he has definitely been less than average on FA (hits include hicks and allen, misses have been, well, we know), and his contracts have been extremely questionable.

just promote him to team president, because his overall vision for the team has been good (new halas hall). bring in rick smith as GM and Daboll as HC next year. I'm pretty over nagy.

We're lock in step here. I still love the idea of Jerod Mayo as the DC too. I think he's going to be a big name soon.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

He has to stop with the salary cap nonsense. We have so much bad money on this team.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He has to stop with the salary cap nonsense. We have so much bad money on this team.

The biggest issue I have is the bad money is in obvious spots...you sign a 27 year old who have been highly productive for 4 years to a big contract and he flops then fair enough...every GM has...you spend big money on an old TE who's best years are clearly past him or a banged up edge who has proven time and time against he can't play in a 3-4 scheme then that is a problem.

37 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Most of it in last 2 years.

Quinn, Graham, Trevathan and Foles.

Parkey was obviously terrible deal awhile back.  And Glennon.  

But Jackson, Goldman, Hicks and Mack weren't necessarily bad deals in moment.

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Most of it in last 2 years.

Quinn, Graham, Trevathan and Foles.

Parkey was obviously terrible deal awhile back.  And Glennon.  

But Jackson, Goldman, Hicks and Mack weren't necessarily bad deals in moment.

i agree with this. overall, when he was building the team organically from the bottom up, he was doing good. reasonable contracts that had outs after a year if they were multi-year deals. FA contracts on guys that were potentially up and coming with second contracts or guys that might have been overlooked. draft classes that focused on incredible athletes at the top and overlooked guys in the back end. we had one of the youngest rosters in the league

then 2018 he went in. brought in mack, which i still don't think was a bad deal, especially with the thought process that mitch was our future. since then, he began throwing money at perceived problems and didn't focus on the organic building any more. now here we are, 3 years later, with tons of bad contracts, lack of depth, and the oldest roster in the league.

he needs to start thinking long term again

• Like 1

I don't see how we are in cap trouble next year.

Only highly paid players you have to keep because of dead cap money are Mack, Trevathan, Graham and Jackson.

Quinn gives you 6.7

Foles gives you 3.0

Cohen gives you 2.25

Goldman gives you 6.66

Dalton is a wash at 0.

You will have cap space next year.   A lot of it and whole time Fields is a rookie.