Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

2 hours ago, soulman said:

"This one hurts," said veteran Cody Whitehair. "It's not what we want obviously. The good thing is we have a bunch of hard working guys on the offensive line that know we are better than what we put out there today. We believe in our guys, we are going to get back out to work next week, make our corrections and move on from there."

It’s a familiar refrain from the ownership to the front office down to the players - aimless positivity with no real accountability for failure.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

It’s a familiar refrain from the ownership to the front office down to the players - aimless positivity with no real accountability for failure.

A quote like that only tells me that Nagy's aimless lack of accountability is catching.  As a rookie Cody Whitehair looked very promising as did James Daniels.  Both have regressed.

During the time he's coached here Matt Nagy keeps claiming he's looking into the "whys" and making changes yet the result is mostly the same.  Nothing really changes much.

I don't see good players like Whitehair and Daniels elevating their game.  Castillo claims Ifedi could be an All Pro yet he has games like this one?  Even ARob seems to have regressed.

We spent far too much money on Graham this year and when James and Fields connected during camp and preseason he should have been released.  Where was he today?  Six snaps.

And where were Kmet and James.  Kmet is another high 2nd round pick who should be ascending in this offense but week after week he's a ghost and did James even play at all?

Kaplan is right.  Fire Nagy now.  Make Pettine HC and hand the offense over to Lazor for the rest of the season.  Then in January clean house at HC on the offensive side of the ball.

Retaining Nagy and his staff now is insanity IMHO.

• Like 2

Nagy’s lack of accountability doesn’t come from nowhere.

Good organizations hold everyone accountable. The drive to succeed permeates downward, from ownership to the GM to the coaches to the players.

Bears aren’t a good organization. They stared this problem in the face and said we’re doubling down on this flawed regime.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

He even said postgame that he won't be changing the OL. He's a clown

To who though? Wilkinson? Trade more future assets?

Odds are this is going to be not just the medicore season like we expected, but an awful depressing one.  If the Bears were bold and decisive you'd fire Nagy now, and tell Pace he's to trade anyone they can move if it gets cap space or assets for the next GM.  Instead I think they're going to fire Nagy at the end of the year, and keep Pace. Maybe a few more of these and he's fired in season but I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Odds are this is going to be not just the medicore season like we expected, but an awful depressing one.  If the Bears were bold and decisive you'd fire Nagy now, and tell Pace he's to trade anyone they can move if it gets cap space or assets for the next GM.  Instead I think they're going to fire Nagy at the end of the year, and keep Pace. Maybe a few more of these and he's fired in season but I wouldn't count on it.

Doesn't matter. That type of game cannot go unaccounted for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

They should do something. Bars, Wilkinson, IDGAF. That was a train wreck

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Nagy’s lack of accountability doesn’t come from nowhere.

Good organizations hold everyone accountable. The drive to succeed permeates downward, from ownership to the GM to the coaches to the players.

Bears aren’t a good organization. They stared this problem in the face and said we’re doubling down on this flawed regime.

This is so perfect. It's like when Burkhardt called them a great organization yesterday and when they talk about being THE FOUNDING FRANCHISE. They're totally living off of 1985, Butkus and Sayers, and guys like Nagurski, Halas, etc. This organization SUCKS. They're so irrelevant it's unbelievable. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

This is so perfect. It's like when Burkhardt called them a great organization yesterday and when they talk about being THE FOUNDING FRANCHISE. They're totally living off of 1985, Butkus and Sayers, and guys like Nagurski, Halas, etc. This organization SUCKS. They're so irrelevant it's unbelievable. 

I have been saying this for a while, this organization and fans are so stuck in the past that they are basically a joke now. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Doesn't matter. That type of game cannot go unaccounted for.

@RunningVaccs

Windy, you are holding wrong person accountable.   It isn't Peters fault he can't block Garrett.  He just isn't good enough (at moment).   Putting someone worse than Peters in game isn't helping anything.

It is 100% Nagy's fault.

Every coach in existence faces a D lineman he can't block or multiple D lineman sometimes.  You have a plan for it and if you didn't before game (because you overestimated your guy or underestimated theirs) you make one fast.

To A) not have a plan for it is bad, to B) not adjust is coaching malpractice.

You double team, you chip, you widen them out with a TE, you trap, you let them go and make them read man (this is sometimes only solution when guy can crush double teams), you cut them (when or if that is allowed) - it is best to do combinations and keep them guessing.   You don't want them to know where blocks are coming from.   You GAME PLAN before or during.   

ANY coach worth his salt can do these things and knows these things.  The fact that a pro coach did what Nagy did for an entire football game is simply outrageous.  

I have said Nagy reminds me of every bad coach I have ever known.   He runs a bunch of plays in practice and relies on talent to win.  When he has overwhelming talent he will win and when he doesn't he won't.   

Would a good coach have beaten Browns?   Probably not.   Browns are way more talented.   But it would not have been embarrassing like it was.

• Like 4

"Nagy says ‘you almost can’t even make it up’ how inept the Bears offense was"

I'm not even gonna bother with posting the rest of Biggs column.  It says nothing we don't already know.  But I will address Nagy's quote.

Matt, we don't have to "make it up".  We already seen on several other occasions just how inept your offense is and how badly you prepare your team and your unbelievably dumb play calls.

We may be upset and embarrassed as fans but one thing we are not is shocked.  Although few could visualize it could be that bad we also knew deep down inside that it wasn't impossible.

If you were a Japanese warrior general you could make your apologies by committing Hari Kari but you're not so why not do the most honorable thing you can do and that's to resign as HC.

This team is going nowhere as long as you remain as the guy running it.  You're done in Chicago.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Nagy mainly only did 5 man protections for Fields when it was painfully obvious(by the first, second series at best) that wasn't working.  He needed to have the TEs, RBs chip Garrett and Clowney more, if not have the TEs help block them.  Nagy is proof a dead fish could coach this team better and make better adjustments. 

Rookie QBs are 1-10 this year so far, Mac Jones being the only one with a win.  Fields can succeed, but it doesn't look like Nagy wants him to. 

• Like 3