Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think they are way better, but still bad.  They aren’t missing assignments left and right now.  

Correct. No one is going to confuse him with Scarnecchia, but he has them making adjustments, communicating, and being a fairly cohesive unit. That being said we don't have a very talented OL overall, so that is an accomplishment in itself. Better OT play might make a hell of a difference, since Leno is a liability on all run plays.

• 5 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Not to wish ill on anyone and by no mean do i wish ill on anyone.  But hopefully when a certain person peacefully leaves the earth the estate tax forces the McCaskey’s to sell the team. 

Hope you're right but there's ways around that estate tax thing. I assume the McCaskey kids already have their respective stakes in the team's ownership.

Simply put it's a long shot to happen but ya never know.

I amateur studied great football coaches and programs for a long time.  I went to clinics and met and learned from several.

It’s fascinating stuff.   Everyone thinks they are doing what the best are doing, but they aren’t.  It isn’t paint by numbers.

Nagy has coach Reids practice schedules and timelines.  He has his playbook and schemes. So why isn’t he getting similar results when he is doing ostensibly same things as coach Reid? 

A lot of reasons, but start at bigger picture.  Everyone at any level of football has a roughly equal amount of time with their players.  In college, HS and middle school it is by agreed rules and in NFL it is by CBA.    So whether you get 1 hour a day, 3x a week (little league) or 4 hours a day 5 days a week (whatever it is) the name of game is most efficient and effective use of the time allotted.

Years ago most coaches just winged it.  As competition intensity grew and people learned from one another it became apparent that every minute of practice, as much as possible is to be planned and scripted.  

All that is fine and dandy.  You know from this time slot to this time slot you are implementing this and running these plays or these drills.  A little alarm goes off or a horn or whatever and you move to next thing on time.

So back to my original question.   If Nagy is following same script as Reid, why isn’t he getting Reid results?  Is it because Actors are different?  Not as talented?   Yes, but that isn’t whole story.

Take any practice block.  It isn’t enough to run it same as Reid does.  It is nuances of teaching during those blocks that matter.   It is recognition of raw talent that needs to be developed.  Or talent that just isn’t good enough.  It is recognizing that this guy excels at these things and can be improved in those things and will never be good at other things.  How are you going to strategically use that and incorporate it into you scheme?  How are you gleaning effort and holding players accountable?  

I have been to thousands of middle school, HS and college practices it is same at each.  I went to one Nagy practice in training camp and I was thoroughly unimpressed.

Nagy is the classic just run through the reps coach.  You see them at every level and they never win unless they have the better talent by a significant margin.  I have never ever seen any good coach at any level watch players get their *** kicked time and again in practice without doing something about it.   Sometimes it is a teaching issue, sometimes it is an effort thing.  Some days a guy is just off. Sometimes guy just needs to be pulled.   But something happens.  Nagy is just next play.  No changes.  No one else gets an opportunity.   We will ostensibly deal with it in film.

Balderdash.  Bullocks.  F that.    Look I get when you are teaching basic protections and bloody meathead DC is blitzing crap out of you.  But that wasn’t situation.   Defense was vanilla as vanilla could be and Nagy could not run a single play.

Does he isolate the problem and try to solve it?  No.  It has a cascading effect to all areas when you just let it go.  So now no one is getting anything of worth done.

Other times a guy has an amazing rep.  Then another.  Does he go back to him to see if this is a fluke or maybe he has something?  Nope.  Never hear from him again.

As he any raw talent gotten significantly better in his 2 or 3rd year under Nagy?   No.  Most of them regress.   They are either good or they aren’t.   He isn’t developing talent.  Mooney has been good from day one.   He will probably be bad next year if Nagy is still his coach.      Miller has never gotten better and on and on.   He doesn’t even know O line play or care about it which is patently ridiculous for a college OC and much more so for a NFL HC/OC.    Nagy is just a bad teacher and coach.  

Nothing wrong with the plays, he can’t do the execution which is the only thing that matters. 

Put me in fire Pace and Nagy camp (although I still think Pace has done some good things).   

• Like 2

Bears need a top/down football program.  

Not new HC/OC/DC and plug new ones hoping for greatness to materialize somewhere all with a different guy doing drafts and FAs who has no clue about scheme fits.   That is stupid recipe all other mediocre teams follow.  

Notice Pittsburgh and New England don’t do this and Pittsburgh has been good since 60s and New England since Belichick implemented his program.   49ers had this rolling with DeBartlo Jr.    Dallas could have had it with Jimmy J if Jerry could have left his ego in check.   

Bears will never be better than mediocre until they realize it.  They may catch lightening in a bottle with a talented team for a season, but that’s about it.