Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

29 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

1. George needs to change somethings and he can start with a mid season firing of both Pace and Nagy.  

2.  George needs to fire Ted Phillips.  Unless there is a culture change we are just going to go through all of this again in 5 or 6 years.  

Would love to see it. Will it happen though? Probably not.

It's hilarious how every few years we always come back to the same argument which is to start at the top down.

Obviously McCaskeys aren't going anywhere but there has been one common denominator in all this over the years...Bears CEO & President Sweaty Teddy Phillips.

Look if they'd like to keep him in some business role for some weird reason then whatever that's fine ..but they need a respected football mind to be president of football ops.

Heck I would even take a guy like Bill Polian over Phillips at this point. 

Hopefully George realizes now that after two failed attempts to hire a GM since taking over, that he needs someone more capable of making these decisions.

• Like 1

I HATE, absolutely HATE, that I have been watching this crap franchise long enough that I have turned into the old guys that I hated when I was younger.

"Oh it's the McCaskeys. Oh it's Ted Phillips."

Well. ****. What is the one constant throughout all this? The McCaskeys as owners and Ted Phillips at the top.

******* gut it already. Move him over to just being an accountant and hire a true, proven President. Think Theo Epstein for the Cubs.

• Like 1

Ok @WindyCity you finally got me to give in ...

Who are this year's best GM candidates?

I did a quick search and these names are coming up:

• Ed Dodds

• Eliot Wolf

• Mike Borgonzi

• Joe Hortiz

• George Paton

• Jeff Ireland (connections to Bears)

• Louis Riddick

• Daniel Jeremiah

• Scott Pioli (potential Football President hire also)

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

I HATE, absolutely HATE, that I have been watching this crap franchise long enough that I have turned into the old guys that I hated when I was younger.

"Oh it's the McCaskeys. Oh it's Ted Phillips."

Well. ****. What is the one constant throughout all this? The McCaskeys as owners and Ted Phillips at the top.

******* gut it already. Move him over to just being an accountant and hire a true, proven President. Think Theo Epstein for the Cubs.

This is kind of a false hope. The only thing we can do is call for change at the levels below them and hope that the right people are hired.

This is from another board -- NOT MY WORK:

HisRoyalSweetness:

In many ways Pace has done a good job.

For example, when he took over the defense was coming off the two worst seasons in franchise history. He's stocked up with talent through the draft, free-agency and the Mack trade and whilst there were some misses, particularly early on, they progressed steadily under Fangio to top 10 in Y3 and the best in the league in Y4 and despite everything that's happened since they're still considered championship quality.

His problem is he's whiffed on the two biggest decisions any GM makes; the head coach and the QB. The question is how much did one screw the other. The prevailing assumption used to be that Trubisky was ruining things for Nagy, but that narrative has flipped after what we've seen this season. We're now legitimately questioning if Nagy ruined Trubisky. And if he ruined Trubisky then how much have the other players Pace brought in been negatively impacted too?

We look at the offense over the last couple of seasons and it's legitimate to wonder if it is a lack of talent or down to the scheme and head coach. Nagy changed his assistants and it's actually got worse. He changed his QB and it's actually got worse.

If a GM can consistently identify talent for one side of the ball then can he really be so blind when it comes to the other that he can find virtually none at all? Some of the players Pace drafted were considered top prospects at their positions; Daniels at C, Kmet at TE, even Trubisky at QB. Others flashed real potential. Howard was a find in the 5th round but was run out of town by Nagy. Mooney looks like another 5th round steal. Even Shaheen just got a nice extension in Miami.

If the problem is the head coach and his offensive 'wizardry' then do we really want to jettison the young GM just because he chose him? You can understand why he was drawn to Nagy; he brought a real upbeat energy to the team, coached for a highly regarded offense-minded head coach, helped develop a young QB etc. and things went well in year one.

^ I'm almost inclined to agree with him. David Kaplan has been trumpeting all morning that personnel people he knows in the league tell him Pace is not the kind of guy that locks himself in a draft room and picks whomever he wants. Everything Pace does has been in concert with Matt Nagy. Nagy will tell Pace he wants a particular player and Pace will try to go out and get said player.

Granted, Pace should not be given a pass for his mistakes (especially on offense), but it makes you pause for at least a second. 

What if, hear me out here, what if Nagy was fired at the end of the season and Pace was given another shot to draft a QB with a new head coach. I'm operating under the assumption that the defense will say the same, etc.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

So we try again.

I want nothing to do with any of the #conviction hive mind at Halas Hall.

Same. If they are going to make a change then hire someone with a fresh set of eyes and who comes from a good organization with a history of drafting well.