Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

1 hour ago, G08 said:

... we tried that at HC with Matt Nagy.

Not really though. Matt Nagy didn't have any history of developing an elite NFL QB and not much of a track record as a play caller either so don't know what the think was when he was hired.

NFL is a copy cat league and I believe Pace was looking for the next McVay but Nagy was a big boom or bust hire from the beginning. I didn't like it and now my gut has been proven right.

48 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is from another board -- NOT MY WORK:

HisRoyalSweetness:

In many ways Pace has done a good job.

For example, when he took over the defense was coming off the two worst seasons in franchise history. He's stocked up with talent through the draft, free-agency and the Mack trade and whilst there were some misses, particularly early on, they progressed steadily under Fangio to top 10 in Y3 and the best in the league in Y4 and despite everything that's happened since they're still considered championship quality.

His problem is he's whiffed on the two biggest decisions any GM makes; the head coach and the QB. The question is how much did one screw the other. The prevailing assumption used to be that Trubisky was ruining things for Nagy, but that narrative has flipped after what we've seen this season. We're now legitimately questioning if Nagy ruined Trubisky. And if he ruined Trubisky then how much have the other players Pace brought in been negatively impacted too?

We look at the offense over the last couple of seasons and it's legitimate to wonder if it is a lack of talent or down to the scheme and head coach. Nagy changed his assistants and it's actually got worse. He changed his QB and it's actually got worse.

If a GM can consistently identify talent for one side of the ball then can he really be so blind when it comes to the other that he can find virtually none at all? Some of the players Pace drafted were considered top prospects at their positions; Daniels at C, Kmet at TE, even Trubisky at QB. Others flashed real potential. Howard was a find in the 5th round but was run out of town by Nagy. Mooney looks like another 5th round steal. Even Shaheen just got a nice extension in Miami.

If the problem is the head coach and his offensive 'wizardry' then do we really want to jettison the young GM just because he chose him? You can understand why he was drawn to Nagy; he brought a real upbeat energy to the team, coached for a highly regarded offense-minded head coach, helped develop a young QB etc. and things went well in year one.

He made the 2 biggest mistakes you can make... why would you keep that person.

People twisting themselves in knots to try and keep a failed GM is beyond me.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

He made the 2 biggest mistakes you can make... why would you keep that person.

People twisting themselves in knots to try and keep a failed GM is beyond me.

He liked Trubisky, he picked the wrong coach/scheme to develop him.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

He didn't exactly do well at WR and RB either, to be honest

I like Montgomery quite a bit, can't run behind a crap line. WR I'm inclined to agree, only ones I really liked were Robinson and Mooney.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't know... I can make an argument for Pace to stick around and Nagy to get whacked (alongside them both getting whacked).

You can't make a reasonable argument for Pace to stick around.

-Missed on his HC

-Missed on 3 QBs [HC influenced of course]

-Missed on 4 big investment TEs.

-Ignored the OL and the OLmen he paid pretty quickly all sucked.

This offseason alone should have him fired. He guaranteed Quinn, Graham, and Foles 60 million dollars while spending 1 million on the OL. Those 3 guys suck and the OL is killing us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Right, but if we keep changing GMs and Head Coaches we'll be the ******* Cleveland Browns.

The Cleveland Browns look a lot better off than the Bears do right now. Mayfield is still a question mark but their OL, run game and other skill positions are pretty good..

Defense is also pretty good...they just fired GM Dorsey last year and looks like it was the right choice

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm just arguing here, @WindyCity, but you just ignore everything he did on the defensive side of the ball, all the renovations at Halas Hall, etc?

The renovations are not factoring in. He didn’t write the check or hire the interior designer.

He built a great half of the team, that gets us nothing. They don’t hand our rings or banners for best defense in the league.

What did he do on defense? Over invested and left himself exposed on offense like an idiot in an offensive era.