Starless

What's different for Josh Allen this year?

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

is this why you get it wrong on so many players?

I think you mean is this why I get it so right.

With that said, all stats are is an imperfect record of past events.  There's only so much detail or context they can provide.  Watching a game or player will always be superior because our eyes can take in more information and context than what the box score will record afterwards.  There's a reason teams watch film when evaluating players over just looking up their stats.

This is why I was able to hit on how great Josh Allen would be in the NFL when so many missed on him.  The main criticism Allen's detractors had against him came from his putrid stats in college.  Some people just couldn't get over the box score metrics.  Because I accept stats are just as much a product of the circumstances surrounding a player as much as their skill level, I was able to overlook this negative criticism of Allen rather easily.  Instead I just watched the tape and what I saw blew me away.  I saw a players who had essentially the best combination of physical traits and skills I had ever seen in a QB prospect.  All the negatives people thought he had (i.e. accuracy) were myths that people played up because they couldn't get past the stat sheet.

Edited by VanS

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

is this why you get it wrong on so many players?

Road Warriors Sport GIF by WWE

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VanS said:

This is why I was able to hit on how great Josh Allen would be in the NFL when so many missed on him.  

I like Josh Allen and hope he does well but THIS arrogance right here is why many people are hoping they can shove any bad play right in your face. 

NEWSFLASH: HE WAS THE 7TH PICK IN THE DRAFT!! You didn't discover some 6th round gem that nobody even knew of, he went into the top of the first round for a reason. You keep thumping your chest but you didn't make some great discovery. Everyone knew he was talented but raw coming out. Everybody knew that, if he put it all together, he could be a good one. 

Edited by Chiefs_5627
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I like Josh Allen and hope he does well but THIS arrogance right here is why many people are hoping they can shove any bad play right in your face. 

NEWSFLASH: HE WAS THE 7TH PICK IN THE DRAFT!! You didn't discover some 6th round gem that nobody even knew of, he went into the top of the first round for a reason. You keep thumping your chest but you didn't make some great discovery. Everyone knew he was talented but raw coming out. Everybody knew that, if he put it all together, he could be a good one. 

Last I checked lots of busts get drafted high in the draft (see Mitch Trubisky).  Just because Josh Allen was drafted high doesn't mean those of us who believed he would be doing what he's doing right now weren't in the EXTREME minority.  And I'm not just talking about becoming a solid starting QB but an MVP caliber QB.  I got a lot of pushback for predicting Josh Allen to be exactly what he is right now.  And this wasn't just limited to the draft.  Just this summer there were many posters on here claiming he was holding back the Bills team from being a potential contender in 2020.  Including some Bills fans. 

Stop pretending like Josh Allen wasn't a highly controversial pick and player thus far in his career.  The notion that the Bills were a team carried by a dominant defense and Josh Allen being the weak link isn't that old.  The reason this thread has so many responses is because so many people convinced themselves Josh Allen wasn't any good.  And now they have to deal with how a guy even other football players (i.e. Jalen Ramsey) called "trash" could become a MVP candidate in his 3rd season. 

Edited by VanS

13 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

To be fair, he stuck with that eval when most people on this site had written him off after his first couple of seasons, but i get your point as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

To be fair, he stuck with that eval when most people on this site had written him off after his first couple of seasons, but i get your point as well.

Well he had to with the way he was backing himself there. This time it paid off, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well he had to with the way he was backing himself there.

Actually no I didn't.  There were several players from Allen's own draft class who I admitted early on were complete misses on my part.  For example, I rated Courtland Sutton as a 3rd round prospect.  Compared him to J.J. Stokes.  Admitted very early (during preseason of his rookie year) that was a whiff on my part.  Now I view him as arguably the best young WR in the league.  Same with Darius Leonard.  Like most people I greatly underestimated how dominant he would be in the NFL.  

So I did not need to stick with Josh Allen for as long as I did.  I stuck with him because I truly believed in his talent and knew a time like this where he would be lighting up the league would happen.  If I saw any signs he would not live up to my projections I would have bailed.

22 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

200.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Maybe it's just me, but who wrote off Allen after his first couple of seasons?

I mean, I've seen people write off Mayfield, I've seen people write off Darnold (THIS season, not last season) and I've seen people write off Rosen - but I can't recall anyone flat out writing off Allen at any point.

Everyone sort of knew this season was the season that would tell us whether or not Allen was progressing - nobody was really writing him off... just as nobody was really crowing him. Everyone needed to see more.

• Like 2