Starless

What's different for Josh Allen this year?

First and foremost, he simply improved. A player coming into NFL w/ the physical tools of Allen, but rawness, has a TON of room to grow. I think he grew a bit last year, numbers just didn’t show it, and then he grew a ton this year.

Secondly, the supporting cast and offensive coaching has upgraded. It’s now an offense built for Allen, with pretty good (although not GREAT) talent that compliments Allen’s skillset.

4 game sample size, I’m not going to put him on a pedestal, but I do think just these 4 games are already enough to prove he is indeed a franchise QB. There were doubts from pretty much everyone outside of Buffalo including myself whether Allen was gonna be a guy you invest in heading into this season, but by just showing he’s still improving + that he can operate at a high level when the situation is good, you for sure give him that 2nd contract. Someone like Darnold, who I held on equal ground as Allen heading into season, has not shown he can operate at high level when situation is good (which it never has been; not his fault, but it is what it is), and I don’t think you can extend a guy until you see that, assuming you love the tools.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

His WR's made some insaneee catches today. 

The Beasley signing was laughed at on this site. He’s been worth everything he’s getting and then some.

• Like 7

He got some halfway competent receivers, who can convert ~10% more throws to catches.  He also, has...despite popular opinion, evolved as a passer and developed a better understanding of the offense in his second year in the NFL, after coming out of a second tier college program that mayhaps, did not in fact fully actualize him as a QB to the maximum of what he could potentially be one day.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Remember when I said I'd take Josh Allen over Lamar Jackson and everybody mocked me but then Josh Allen proceeded to have a better playoffs than Lamar, despite it being his first playoffs?

I think I was onto something. Right again. You people really shouldn't take that level of visionary and forward thinking for granted.

Edited by Kirill

Posted (edited)

Probably just improved as a passer in certain areas along with having the weapons to succeed. A guy like Diggs will definitely help anyone. It's only been 4 games though. Still has a lot to prove. Good for Bills fans though. Come a long way since Ryan Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson looked like the future at one point in time. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

He played football at Wyoming, was considered a big project coming out of college at 21 years old, and he has improved for 3 years as he has gotten more experience and time to work. How is that so difficult to comprehend?

There is a lot of draft bias surrounding Allen. People want him to fail so they can say "see, I was right all along".

Now people try to find some sort of explanation that can be an excuse to why he is becoming a better player.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Danand said:

He played football at Wyoming, was considered a big project coming out of college at 21 years old, and he has improved for 3 years as he has gotten more experience and time to work. How is that so difficult to comprehend?

It's difficult to comprehend because he never completed 60%+ of his passes in a season dating back to college, in his first two seasons he had never thrown for 300+ yards in a game and had only thrown for 3+ TD's in 2 games, not to mention he had 3x more games where he completed 50% or less of his passes (10) then he had games where he completed 70%+ of his passes (3). 

If he continues at his current pace he'll finish with 5,304 yards (+2,215), 48 TD (+28), 70.9 comp% (+12.1%), and a 122.7 passer rating (+37.4). That's probably the biggest jump/improvement we've ever seen from one year to the next in NFL history. 

55 minutes ago, Danand said:

There is a lot of draft bias surrounding Allen. People want him to fail so they can say "see, I was right all along".

Now people try to find some sort of explanation that can be an excuse to why he is becoming a better player.

Exactly. The draft is always kind of a toss up, but sometimes, for those guys who are "projects", the project works haha

He saw a team that could win, a team that built the offense around him, and he just simply worked hard in the offseason.

Posted (edited)

He spent all offseason working on his downfield accuracy. He worked with Jordan Palmer to work on his shorter and intermediate accuracy after his rookie season and you saw a noticeable improvement which really helped a player like Cole Beasley. But his deep ball wasnt as up to par. So he spent all offseason retooling that part of his games and now he can make any throw in the book.

I do think his accuracy was better than those number indicate. A lot of those incompletions were drops and throwaways

Edited by Kmart128

seeing allen improving each year is kinda scary for the rest of the AFC tbh his athletic talent + improving quatrebacking skills = one of hell of a QB

He really is baby Mahomes. He does some crazy stuff. As whole Bills have a high level roster. The most interesting thing is Daboll who was always horrible in every stop until he showed up in Buffalo. Josh Allen has turned that mans career around and he might even get a Head Coaching job.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

He really is baby Mahomes. He does some crazy stuff. As whole Bills have a high level roster. The most interesting thing is Daboll who was always horrible in every stop until he showed up in Buffalo. Josh Allen has turned that mans career around and he might even get a Head Coaching job.

This is also by far the most talent Daboll has had to work with. Off the top of my head, Matt Moore is the best QB he had before Allen? Either way, teams should be leery about making him their HC if they don’t have the talent to go with it on O. In fact, teams should just stay away from from him altogether 😉

• Like 1