What's different for Josh Allen this year?

Apparition

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I remember watching numerous games last year and coming away impressed with how well he schemes receivers open. I distinctly remember because people were saying Josh Allen was producing with subpar receivers, yet every time I watched Bills games (which was quite a bit) Bills receivers were getting open fine under Daboll.

I said this all last year too. Other Bills fans didn’t agree me. His scheme has never been the issue. It was execution.

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

He have one tremendous play call in a game but overall he wasnt good. He has had times were he took his foot off the gas in the 2nd half and then offense struggles

Disagree. Execution was the issue. Daboll started getting national recognition last year, hence the Cleveland interview. I’m also willing to bet the conservative approach was and is McDermott. Tends to be the philosophy of defensive head coaches.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scar988 said:

He had some great throws at times. But his issue was consistency with mechanics more than actually throwing an inaccurate ball. He still misses, but every QB still misses wildly on 2-3 balls a game anyway. regardless of who it is. 

Exactly.  Patrick Mahomes has a couple of wild misses every game as well but never got the "inaccurate" label because of the numbers he was putting up.  Folks just jumped on the narrative Josh Allen was inaccurate because they just looked at stats.  Then when they watched him play they latched onto those 1-2 wild misses to confirm the opinion they came in with.  Classic confirmation bias.

I don't take stats seriously when it comes to sports.  I'm primarily about the eye test.  I watch players play and then make my determination about them.  Its why I never was on the Josh Allen lacks accuracy bandwagon.  Whenever I watched Allen play I saw a guy with good accuracy who had 1-2 wild misses a game (which as you said is typical for most QBs).  

11 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

The shift I saw in him since the New England game last year is BETTER DECISION-MAKING.  Josh Allen always had accuracy.  It was decision-making that was his achilles heel.  Going into last year I think Josh was so determined to show how good he was that he tried to do too much early on.  He was trying to have the season he's having now last year and it blew up in his face.  Largely because the talent around him wasn't there yet.

He realized after the New England that he had to tone is down so as to not cost his team anymore victories with his aggressive play.  That is why he became more of a dink and dunk passer last year as the season progressed.  This year he now has the horses alongside him to be the gun-slinger he's always wanted to be.   And now that aggressive style is paying dividends.  He's still prone to take things a little too far as we see in some of those sacks that result in long losses because he was unwilling to give up on the play.  But all in all I am impressed with his decision-making since that New England game.

Edited by VanS

The most impressive and promising stat as a Bills fan through these first 4 weeks is that he's doing it with ONLY his arm and not his legs. In the last 3 games Josh Allen has a total of 26 rushing yards on 10 attempts.

Josh Allen deserves the majority of the credit because he's the one that worked his butt off and improved his footwork, accuracy and decision making. However, Stefon Diggs/John Brown/Cole Beasley all compliment each other perfect for Brian Dabolls offense/philosophy.

• Like 2

He's escaping to pass and not run. That's a major difference I see. So many options really open up downfield when the quarterback successfully eludes the rush but continues to prioritize downfield. As a Dolphins fan it is maddening because Fitzpatrick escapes all the time. But all he does is put his head down and churn upfield. It makes for lots of nice 6 and 10 yard gains...and never a 60 yard touchdown pass. 

Also, Allen really has the athletic arrogance out there. Wonderful to witness. He's like a boxer holding his hands down because he knows he can pop you anyway.

Let's face it, NFL defenses are pathetic right now. That can't be discounted. Also the grabby wide receivers, expanding Allen's effective target area.

I am still not a believer in his touch or short to medium accuracy under duress. Bottom line there aren't many defenses right now that can force him into that predicament.

Everything tends to drift back to the beginning. Never forget that. It means there will be meaningful games and situations in which Allen's accuracy fails him. 

Edited by Awsi Dooger

I don't leave the Bills forum a lot anymore, but I though this one point is a big thing.

I am sure people have pointed out that his skill players, especially at WR have improved, and in his year 2 Buffalo signed 7 OL and drafted Cody Ford in the 2nd rd. He has also worked out with Jordan Palmer to help with his mechanics. All of these points might have been mentioned and are definitely a big part of his progress.

What might not have been mentioned is I think his mindset has changed (not 100%). I remember watching an interview with him (might of just been a local interview). But definitely from year 1 to year 2, Josh explained that when OC Brian Daboll dialed it up to take a shot, that Josh would have tendency to force it, or play hero ball. This happened to the point where Daboll had to sit him down and tell him "Hey man, when we dial it up and it's not there, don't feel like this is your only chance, we will dial it up again". I think he wanted so bad to take advantage of his strong arm that when Buffalo called for a shot down field, it didn't matter what the coverage was, he was taking that shot. I think he has matured and realized he doesn't have to do it himself (though he will occasionally play hero ball, but not nearly as much), and I think he trusts Daboll is going to make calls to put him in the position to win, whether that is 25 underneath patterns, throwing the ball constantly downfield, or just handing it off. I think Josh maturing and trusting his OC is a big part of his progress.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Elite means he’s on Russ’ and Mahomes’ level. I’m sorry, but I’m not ready to concede Allen is equal to them after 4 games. 

You said he's not elite this year and now you're saying you won't concede he's elite after 4 games? 

I agree with you 100% that Josh Allen isn't elite until I see it for the season but to say his play this year hasn't been elite is wrong. 

3 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

You said he's not elite this year and now you're saying you won't concede he's elite after 4 games? 

That’s exactly right.

3 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I agree with you 100% that Josh Allen isn't elite until I see it for the season but to say his play this year hasn't been elite is wrong. 

Is he producing at an elite level? Sure. But that doesn’t make him an elite player, especially with such a minuscule sample size. The issue with Allen has always been consistency. Let’s see this continue before he announce him anything.