What's different for Josh Allen this year?

Apparition

31 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That’s exactly right.

Is he producing at an elite level? Sure. But that doesn’t make him an elite player, especially with such a minuscule sample size. The issue with Allen has always been consistency. Let’s see this continue before he announce him anything. 

Has it tho. The past 16 games he has been pretty dang consistent... has like 36 TDs and 3 INTs or something like. That a full years sample size as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Has it tho. The past 16 games he has been pretty dang consistent... has like 36 TDs and 3 INTs or something like. That a full years sample size as well.

Even still, he still makes those blunder worthy plays that him keep out of Mahomes’ league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Even still, he still makes those blunder worthy plays that him keep out of Mahomes’ league. 

Honestly I think a lot of this kind of talk is preconceived notions. Does he forget to set his feet sometimes and overshoots a receiver ever once im awhile sure. But Allen gets way to much hate for it. Every single QB has misses... no one is perfect. Heck you know how often ive seen Tom Brady underthrow an open reciever...  but that didnt stop him from being dominant. And i dont see that stopping Allen either in the future. His physical abilities are just too much.

i think it's by and large a case of, aside from the obviously better supporting cast and consistency their offense as a whole has had together - the bills got a good one and credit should be due!

yes, he was very raw coming in to the league. yes, he had an up and down first year and a better but still somewhat up and down sophomore. he was always a high ceiling low floor prospect; and ultimately it seems like he's, this season at least, shooting for that ceiling. no doubt, seems like the guy's a really hard worker, and someone who didn't want to go down as wasted potential and a historical footnote. but he was always a low floor high ceiling prospect and i don't think it should be a surprise, per se, that he is capable of achieving what he is right now.

in saying this

for me, so far, guy's far and away the most exciting player to watch this year. outstanding athlete who makes things happen, and if the steelers don't go to the big dance this year i'd love to see buffalo take the crown. you love to see a guy who's willing to put the team on his back and take the game by the balls and he does that damn well. just brilliant for the game to have guys like allen!

Edited by Shady Slim
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Honestly I think a lot of this kind of talk is preconceived notions. Does he forget to set his feet sometimes and overshoots a receiver ever once im awhile sure. But Allen gets way to much hate for it. Every single QB has misses... no one is perfect. Heck you know how often ive seen Tom Brady underthrow an open reciever...  but that didnt stop him from being dominant. And i dont see that stopping Allen either in the future. His physical abilities are just too much.

Its not like Mahomes doesn't overthrow wide open deep receivers alot too. 

7 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Mahomes makes plenty of mistakes himself.  He's just been the luckiest QB in the league the last couple of years with how many surefire INTs defenders have dropped.  Just this week he had 3 turnover worthy plays that didn't count (2 dropped INTs and the fumble/INT that wasn't called by the refs).  

I would argue Josh Allen has been more careful with the ball thus far this year than Mahomes.  

On 10/4/2020 at 7:41 PM, Rodjahs12 said:

That vans guy was dead on about him and it kills some in this forum to admit that as the guy is committed to his not always popular opinions 

I mean, you throw enough poop at the wall something's eventually bound to stick.  I mean, we're still waiting for Josh Dobbs to become the All-Pro that VanS promised.  But on a more serious note, I'm waiting until I get a bigger sample size before admitting I'm wrong on Josh Allen.  We're four games into a season, and games against the Jets, Dolphins, Rams, and Raiders.  Last year, those teams ranked 12th, 29th, 11th and 31st in QB rating.  This year, those teams rank 19th, 28th, 5th, and 14th in QB rating.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, you throw enough poop at the wall something's eventually bound to stick.  I mean, we're still waiting for Josh Dobbs to become the All-Pro that VanS promised.  But on a more serious note, I'm waiting until I get a bigger sample size before admitting I'm wrong on Josh Allen.  We're four games into a season, and games against the Jets, Dolphins, Rams, and Raiders.  Last year, those teams ranked 12th, 29th, 11th and 31st in QB rating.  This year, those teams rank 19th, 28th, 5th, and 14th in QB rating.

You really wanna keep betting against Josh Allen?  At a certain point his talent should be clear enough for folks to realize its crazy to bet against him.  

With talent finally around him, he's only going to improve.  I would suggest jumping on the bandwagon. 

1 hour ago, VanS said:

You really wanna keep betting against Josh Allen?  At a certain point his talent should be clear enough for folks to realize its crazy to bet against him.  

With talent finally around him, he's only going to improve.  I would suggest jumping on the bandwagon. 

I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong, are you?  Up through this point, he's had a 4 game stretch doing something he's never been able to do going back to his college career at Wyoming: completing a high percentage of passes and not throwing interceptions.  His INT% is 0.7%, which is nearly a quarter of his career up until this point.  His completion percentage is above 60% for the time since his freshman year when he threw 4 passes.  IF he can keep up these numbers, we can revisit this discussion.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 8:39 PM, Starless said:

A guy doesn't suddenly go from completing <60% of his passes to >70% without doing some retooling. Yes, Diggs has been a big help, but he just looks like a very different player.

Allen is an incredibly hard worker. He's relentless in improving in areas that are his weaknesses. That's part of the reason why he's improving at a rapid rate. We witnessed it last year with his intermediate throws, and this year with his deep ball. Also, being in the same offensive system for three years has helped as well. Having weapons all over the field is a big plus. On top of all of this, he's a very smart player. I believe he's starting to understand the game better, which is one of the biggest hurdles a young QB faces. You can see him go through his progressions quicker. So, when you get a raw QB who's tough as nails, very smart, has all the physical tools, and an incredible work ethic and mix it with solid coaching and some really nice weapons you get what Josh Allen is becoming...a franchise QB.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 9:14 PM, bucsfan333 said:

It's important to note that Allen never had great coaching. He's going to be the outlier here because he was never given a true chance to succeed with dedicated high quality coaching until he turned pro. 

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong, are you?  Up through this point, he's had a 4 game stretch doing something he's never been able to do going back to his college career at Wyoming: completing a high percentage of passes and not throwing interceptions.  His INT% is 0.7%, which is nearly a quarter of his career up until this point.  His completion percentage is above 60% for the time since his freshman year when he threw 4 passes.  IF he can keep up these numbers, we can revisit this discussion.

Completion % is overrated anyway imo - I'd rather be 50% in intermediate routes than 60% in short routes. That's besides the point but if you actually think there is no difference in how Allen has looked then you're just not wanting to admit you're wrong. 

Idc who you are, it's hard to throw for 1,325 yards, 12 TDs, 3 rushing TDs, 71% completion % and 9.0 YPA in a 4 game stretch. Even if he's not the MVP caliber player a lot of people are talking about, a scrub can't do that. 

He was labeled raw and unpolished for a reason, once he started to get good coaching and talent around him he's starting to improve. 

58 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Completion % is overrated anyway imo - I'd rather be 50% in intermediate routes than 60% in short routes. That's besides the point but if you actually think there is no difference in how Allen has looked then you're just not wanting to admit you're wrong. 

Idc who you are, it's hard to throw for 1,325 yards, 12 TDs, 3 rushing TDs, 71% completion % and 9.0 YPA in a 4 game stretch. Even if he's not the MVP caliber player a lot of people are talking about, a scrub can't do that. 

He was labeled raw and unpolished for a reason, once he started to get good coaching and talent around him he's starting to improve. 

It's a microcosm for his inability to consistently hit an open WR.  He's looked good so far, I don't think anyone would disagree.  I'm just not ready to think that a 4 game stretch of him playing well is anything but an anomaly when he's been a poor QB for the past 4 years.  If he continues to develop and maintain this, then we can discuss this again.