Quarter Analysis 1: Vikings 2020

SteelKing728

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s time to put Cleveland in at LG and slide Dozier to RG. 

Samia needs to be taken off of the field. You see flashes of what he can do, but his fundamentals and footwork are terrible which is leading to balance issues. Not having OTAs and mini camps is really showing for him. 

To Samia's credit he is a damn good run blocker at times and really showed up run blocking the last game.  Played till the whistle, was aggressive run blocker, showed good power and finished his blocks and was a little nasty out there.  I liked that, he and O'Neill pushed some dudes around in that game.  Samia just needs to work on his pass pro, his run blocking is rugged and he finishes blocks aggressively.  

Cleveland I agree needs to start seeing some time, I would not mind taking Reiff out in some series and try Cleveland in there if that is indeed where they want him to ultimately end up.  Cook does lead the NFL in rush yards so hard to argue with the group though collectively, they just kind of stink in pass pro at times.  They are 3rd in the NFL in total rush yards and 5th in yards per game rushing.  They are 12th in the NFL in sacks given up on the starting QB, so not awful but not great either.  

Interesting stat, all time Kirk Cousins gets sacked 5.36% of the time, Aaron Rodgers gets sacked 6.8% of the time, Drew Brees 3.85% and Tom Brady 4.74% of the time.  Peyton Manning is #1 all time with 3.13% of the time, tied with Dan Marino.  Curious what that looks like with QB pressures and how many the Vikings have given up in terms of pressures this season compared to other teams.

It's a growing season. I think our defense will look a lot better next season especially at corner. Hughes may never get his job back with the development of Dantzler and Gladney. They've been better based on what I've watched. 

Samia will get better. Hes getting some great OJT right now. I'd prefer to see Cleveland take over for Dozier. Dozier isn't part of the future here. 

Great to see Bradbury getting better. Nice to have a reliable center finally. 

Jefferson is going to be special. He'll be one of the best Minnesota WR has ever drafted. No doubt we'll see him wrecking secondaries for a long time. 

Chisna has been pretty good on special teams. I like that we kept him.

• Like 1

Call it counterproductive, but it is alright if we don't make the playoffs this year. It would feel like a sham if we won the Super Bowl with Corona going on. We will do much better next year with more practice time for the defensive rookies. With an easier schedule and more experience, I am betting on making a trip to the NFC Championship next year. :)

That said, we will do a lot better later in the season as the toughest part of the schedule is out of the way.

Edited by cconocool

From what I've seen so far this season, I think Vikings have probably the worst starting Guard combo in the league....just awful. I also think secondary will get better as the season goes on. An early Hunter return from injury should help out the secondary

Edited by upriser7

19 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The loss to Tennessee is going to hurt at the end of the year. 

Its a non conference game and there are 7 seeds now for the playoffs.

So it might not be that bad. Losing to GB really stings though. They are probably the best team in the NFC this season.

15 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Right now the Viking's opponents in their three losses are a combined 9-1. It would seem that the Vikings are not the only team struggling against those opponents. The Colts only loss came in week one, which was the first game Rivers was their QB; week one without preseason was tough on teams going through transition. 

Update: At the quarter pole the three Viking losses were to opponents with a combined 10-1 record. The lone win was to a team with an 0-4 record.

If the team loses to above .500 teams and beats below .500 teams all year they should finish around 8-8. However, we have only seen them play against teams in the top quartile and bottom quartile. How they do against the middle two quartiles will tilt them above or below .500.

Looking ahead to the next quarter of the season the Vikings get:

• Seahawks (4-0)
  • Falcons (0-4)
  • Packers (4-0)
  • Lions (1-4)

That keeps them playing teams at the extremes of the spectrum. If the pattern holds we can expect the results to be L, W, L, W putting the team to 3-5 at the midpoint of the season.

That would set the team up to need to play the back half of the schedule at 6-2 to likely make the playoffs. I don't know how realistic that would be with the Bears twice, Bucs, and Saints. Even the .500 Panthers would be a toss-up at best. When McCaffrey comes back they'll be playing better than they currently are playing.

Basically, I think the Vikings are going to have to improve quick and take one from either the Seahawks or Packers if they want to have playoff dreams going into the third quarter of the season. It will be a tough home stretch to follow but if they still have the dream at that point perhaps they'll have gelled and can surprise us. If they get to the playoffs they'll be doing it with some serious momentum after having success with that gauntlet. That is what I hope to see.

What do I expect to see? Well, based on what I have seen I expect to see a 4-5 win season -- the sweet spot for disappointing both the tank crowd and the play to win crown. That really isn't a surprise considering the Vikings have for years specialized in disappointing fans.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, upriser7 said:

From what I've seen so far this season, I think Vikings have probably the worst starting Guard combo in the league....just awful. I also think secondary will get better as the season goes on. An early Hunter return from injury should help out the secondary

Then you haven't seen the Giants' starting guards.  They're names are more recognizable, but they're worse.