Kenyan Drake?

Phinsesq

Hey Cardinals fans, I am a life long Dolphins fan and have followed Kenyan Drake's career. I saw flashes of what he was able to do in Miami, and thought he would thrive in Arizona and was appearing to at the end of last season. What has happened to him? is it a Kenyan Drake problem? scheme? line?. The guy has talent and I thought he would basically be your Kamara (I know blasphemy to some) he seems to do his best when utilized in the passing game which it doesn't appear to be happening. Any thoughts or feedback?

On 10/5/2020 at 8:27 AM, Phinsesq said:

Hey Cardinals fans, I am a life long Dolphins fan and have followed Kenyan Drake's career. I saw flashes of what he was able to do in Miami, and thought he would thrive in Arizona and was appearing to at the end of last season. What has happened to him? is it a Kenyan Drake problem? scheme? line?. The guy has talent and I thought he would basically be your Kamara (I know blasphemy to some) he seems to do his best when utilized in the passing game which it doesn't appear to be happening. Any thoughts or feedback?

Drake has stilll been a really dynamic runner. Overall, there are issues with the scheme and issues with the line. Both Drake and Edmonds have been impressive every time they've touched the ball, IMO, but it seems like Kliff has too many plays where the guys are running ten yards and only getting 2 yards upfield. And he runs draw plays almost as much as Bill O'Brien.

His play calling in the run game actually reminds me a lot of Pep Hamilton of the XFL this past season. When he runs the football, it's like he's trying to prove that he can run it and so he doesn't let any natural rhythm develop, and when a concept doesn't work, it's like he pushes it harder because he knows that it'll eventually break big... The issue is that there's just a lot of nothing surrounding that big play. Kliff does this in the passing game, too.

And then, when you look at the offensive line, there aren't very many good run blockers on this team. DJ Humphries (LT) is a great run blocker but just an average pass blocker. Justin Pugh (LG) is a great pass blocker, but just an average run blocker. Both Lamont Galliard (C) and Mason Cole (C) have had issues moving guys out of their gaps. JR Sweezy (RG) is below average in every regard. Kelvin Beachum (RT) is a decent pass blocker and run blocker, but he's been struggling somewhat lately. So there isn't really much movement being generated up front, and with Kliff's heavy usage of moving fronts, most of these guys aren't as mobile as you'd like, and almost all of them either lack length or strength to be effective in the run game otherwise.

Drake was incredible for the Cardinals last year and has had flashes this year, but right now Kliff is in a bad rut as a playcaller and Kyler has been missing on some easy rhythm throws due to lazy mechanics, too. Just keeps the team from getting into a groove and makes them too reliant on big plays.